Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 09-06-2013, 03:36 PM   #41
Agemegos

Default Re: [Spaceships] TL10^ exploration frigate

How to fill one SM +9 habitat system with 50 brave explorers
1. Cabin for Mission Commander (1)

2. Shared cabin for 1st lieutenant and chief engineer (2)

3. Shared cabin for 2nd lieutenant and 3rd engineer (2)

4. Shared cabin for 3rd lieutenant and 2nd engineer (2)

5. Shared cabin for military analyst and naval intern (2)

6. Bunkroom for buffer and three shuttle pilots (4)

7. Bunkroom for four ratings (4)

8. Bunkroom for four ratings (4)

9. Bunkroom for four ratings (4)

1011. Double-sized bunkroom for eight marines (8)

12. Cabin for Ambassador (1)

13. Cabin for Dean of Survey (1)

1419. Shared cabins for 2 academics each (12)

20. Shared cabin for two diplomats (2)

20-and-a-half. Half-cabin for the Ambassador's aide (1)

Total: 20.5 cabins (50)
There are some straightforward fixes, starting with
(a) put someone in a cabin that is outside the safe, relatively well radiation-shielded forward core section or
(b) double up the Ambassador with the Dean of Survey.
• I could cut the ship's complement: it is perhaps a luxury to have three flight crews with only two shuttles and to have three complete watches of three technicians (to provide a human damage control worker in each section). On the other hand I'd really like five more academics, and it's silly to let the granularity of a quick-and-handy system dictate the size of the mission in that way.

• I could split the other Core system (the Control Room) to get 6 more cabins, upgrade the captain to a luxury cabin (+1), give the 1st lieutenant an unshared cabin (+0.5), give the chief engineer an unshared cabin (+0.5), give the head of Natural Sciences and the Head of Social Sciences unshared cabins (+1), and add three shared cabins for the ambassador's aide, two more researchers, and three research assistants. Then I would have to split something else somewhere else to put in the missing 1/3 system of control room—presumably the control stations and computers are in the core and the basic sensors and attitude controls are outside it.

• I could not bother with the formal splitting and hit locations and such, just put 26 cabins into the habitat and slice 1/3 of capacity off some cargo capacity or hangar bay or something.

• I could adjust the mass, cost, and refuel cost of the ship a bit to allow for it being a bit bigger, but less than 200% bigger.

• I could just never mind the 1.7% adjustment in a system this coarse-grained.

Decay is inherent in all composite things.
Nod head. Get treat.

Last edited by Agemegos; 09-06-2013 at 05:31 PM.
Agemegos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 04:13 PM   #42
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agemegos View Post
7. Bunkroom for four ratings (4)

8. Bunkroom for four ratings (4)

9. Bunkroom for four ratings (4)
Shouldn't this be three petty officers (the three watch foremen) and nine ratings in some combination? Either a cabin for each watch or a cabin with the three petty officers and the senior rating, I'd think.

EDIT: If I were them, I'd rather have the cabins by watch, that way everybody in the same cabin is sleeping at the same time. It's not like petty officers are staff NCOs.

Last edited by sir_pudding; 09-06-2013 at 04:22 PM.
sir_pudding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 05:29 PM   #43
Agemegos

Quote:
Originally Posted by sir_pudding View Post
Shouldn't this be three petty officers (the three watch foremen) and nine ratings in some combination? Either a cabin for each watch or a cabin with the three petty officers and the senior rating, I'd think.
In my usage "ratings" includes petty officers (but not warrant officers or commissioned officers).

Quote:
EDIT: If I were them, I'd rather have the cabins by watch, that way everybody in the same cabin is sleeping at the same time. It's not like petty officers are staff NCOs.
Good idea. The buffer and the three coxswains in one bunkroom, then three watch bunkrooms, each with the PO, leading astronaut, ordinary astronaut, and shuttle flight engineer who will be on watch at the same time.

Nod head. Get treat.
Old 09-06-2013, 07:39 PM   #44
Peter Knutsen
Banned

You can't split the Control Room, as per the RAW, because much of its mass is maneuver thrusters. It has to occupy 5% of the total mass of the ship, otherwise it's going to have to have poorer maneuvering (and IIRC there's no rule specifying how much poorer).
Peter Knutsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 09:27 PM   #45
Agemegos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Knutsen View Post
You can't split the Control Room, as per the RAW, because much of its mass is maneuver thrusters. It has to occupy 5% of the total mass of the ship, otherwise it's going to have to have poorer maneuvering (and IIRC there's no rule specifying how much poorer).
I don't see any compelling reason not to put 2/3 of the control room in the Aft Core and the reamining 1/3 in the Forward Hull, though.

Nod head. Get treat.
Old 09-06-2013, 11:51 PM   #46
apoc527

Very cool ship. Is this for your Flat Black setting or something else entirely? If it's the latter, do you have a write up somewhere online?

This reminds me of a ship I made and used in a campaign that sounds much like yours. I had a giant spreadsheet of supplies that I made the players mark off as they used it. It was Alternity though, so not nearly as much attention to realistic detail as GURPS provides. Good times though!

Currently Playing: GURPS Banestorm: The Symmetry of Darkness

Inactive:
Star*Drive: 2525-Hunting for Fun and Profit
My THS Campaign-In the Shadows of Venus
Yrth--The Legend Begins
The XCOM Apocalypse
apoc527 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 12:25 AM   #47
Agemegos

Quote:
Originally Posted by apoc527 View Post
Very cool ship. Is this for your Flat Black setting or something else entirely?
It's for FLAT BLACK. I'm starting up a new post-by-post "Survey" campaign and succumbing to another round of Endless Revision.

Quote:
If it's the latter, do you have a write up somewhere online?
There is supposed to be one on the FLAT BLACK wiki, but I'm too self-critical to ever make any progress on it.

Quote:
This reminds me of a ship I made and used in a campaign that sounds much like yours. I had a giant spreadsheet of supplies that I made the players mark off as they used it.
Heh! I did that for a FLAT BLACK: Survey campaign once. It was gigantic. Unfortunately I think I no longer have a computer that runs an OS that supports an application that can understand the format of the file. :(

Postscript: No, here we go. An Excel version. 8,649 items in inventory, from "air conditioner, 20" to "wire, barbed, 100m roll of, 160". 64.574 tonnes. Not counting "frigate, survey, 1".

Nod head. Get treat.

Last edited by Agemegos; 09-07-2013 at 12:34 AM.
Old 09-07-2013, 01:07 AM   #48
SCAR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agemegos View Post
I don't see any compelling reason not to put 2/3 of the control room in the Aft Core and the reamining 1/3 in the Forward Hull, though.
Several of the FA ships I converted (see my sig.) had various control stations in different locations on the deck plans, and I saw no reason not to simply add these all up for a single Control Room, as I was trying to stick to the basic Spaceship rules.
Using split/smaller systems, it seems perfectly reasonable to do what you're suggesting, and an excellent idea when considering layout, either abstract or actual deck plans.
SCAR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 01:13 AM   #49
vierasmarius

I'd have no problem with a ship having a smaller than normal Control Room, at the cost of reduced handling. Maybe -2 Hnd for a -1 SM system, -4 Hnd for a -2 SM system. It would mostly show up on low-performance bulk transports, or as a back-up bridge on warships. You could combine multiple smaller Control Rooms to function as a single larger one. For example, three -1 SM systems would be the equivalent of one full-sized bridge, but if any one of them is knocked out performance will suffer.

EDIT: Actually, I just checked in SS8 where it discusses Smaller Systems, and it does mention Control Rooms as being allowed. A -1 SM system gives -1 to Hnd and SR. I suppose a -2 SM system would be at -2 to both.

Last edited by vierasmarius; 09-07-2013 at 01:17 AM.
vierasmarius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 01:45 AM   #50
Agemegos

Quote:
Originally Posted by vierasmarius View Post
I'd have no problem with a ship having a smaller than normal Control Room, at the cost of reduced handling. Maybe -2 Hnd for a -1 SM system, -4 Hnd for a -2 SM system. It would mostly show up on low-performance bulk transports, or as a back-up bridge on warships. You could combine multiple smaller Control Rooms to function as a single larger one. For example, three -1 SM systems would be the equivalent of one full-sized bridge, but if any one of them is knocked out performance will suffer.

EDIT: Actually, I just checked in SS8 where it discusses Smaller Systems, and it does mention Control Rooms as being allowed. A -1 SM system gives -1 to Hnd and SR. I suppose a -2 SM system would be at -2 to both.
That's fine for, as you suggest, low-performance bulk haulers and maybe as an emergency back-up. But it isn't what I'm suggesting. I am thinking about having three control-room systems at SM -1 combining to make a set of standard-size controls, but spreading them between locations. This 3,000-ton ship is still going to have 150 tons of "Control Room", just like standard. Just not all of it in the Core.

Nod head. Get treat.

Tags
exploration, flat black, spaceships