Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 10-15-2020, 01:34 PM   #31
Dencat

Default Re: Ideas for Yrth

Now. What about the eastern continent populated by K'kree??
Dencat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2020, 02:22 PM   #32
TGLS

Quote:
Originally Posted by VIVIT View Post
Anglish
Small point, but there is no Anglish under the system I made up.
TGLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2020, 06:22 PM   #33
Astromancer

Try this one...

Meglos has fallen apart once the Emperor is exposed as a demon and cast out. Meglos has broken into eight major kingdoms. At about this time Baroness Bronwyn's cadre of Underground Engineers have combinded technology and alchemy to develop Cannons and flintlocks (TL5 armaments with some TL6 features because of the alchemical enhancements). Thus when the Hospitallers suddenly found they were free of Imperial interference and attacked Caithness with overwhelming force and an allience with Denerel and the Sterling Rebels to crush the kingdom forever, thirty canon destroyed the core of both the Hospitaler army and the rebel lords.

This sent shockwaves through Ytarria. First Al-Wazif invades Meglos and Caithness and is turned away from further conquest by massed gunfire. Two major wars one by a single crushing victory has convinced everyone in the known lands of Ytarria that guns are a vital necessity.

Basically, the Empire is gone and the barriars to technological advancement have collapsed. Some people will want to put the ban back in place are trying to manipulate events to get a new emperor in place to turn the clock back. Meanwhile, Mages, who used to be a major force against technolgy, now have begun to realise that technology can be good for them as a group. Knights and knightly orders are seeing that they are on the way out, and they aren't happy about it.

The Islamic Kingdoms of Al-Wazif and Al-Haz have been warned that, on Earth, Islamic societies ignored Europe's advancing technolgy and thus got dominated and conquered. Neither Al-Haz nor Al-Wazif will tolerate that.

Literacy throughout Ytarria is becoming far more common and the common people seem to be begining to understand that they are a seperate group that needs to be heard.

All of this would be about the collapse of the old feudal and imperial orders and new societies trying to form in their place.

Ancora Imparo
Astromancer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2020, 03:15 PM   #34
Astromancer

This is a simple idea, have the manna distortion that has made the Great Desert an arid No Manna area suddenly shirnk. Move the border of the Great Desert and the No Manna area attached to it move seventy-five miles west.

I'm assuming that the No Manna Area is cause by a distortion in the Manna field of Yrth. And that this Manna Distortion causes the Great Desert. So move the Low/No manna border seventy-five miles west, and the desert will do the same.

What all this does is open up thousands of square miles of empty farmable land for poor peasants to move onto and farm. A bonanza to those nobles who organise it well. This also brings many treasures and mysteries long ignored into either easy or practical access.

Ancora Imparo
Old 10-18-2020, 05:23 PM   #35
LoneWolf23k

I'd just turn the No Mana area of the Great Desert into a Very Low Mana area (Thaumatology p58), allowing for spellcasting characters to not be completely useless if adventuring there, just very handicapped.
LoneWolf23k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2020, 05:42 PM   #36
Astromancer

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoneWolf23k View Post
I'd just turn the No Mana area of the Great Desert into a Very Low Mana area (Thaumatology p58), allowing for spellcasting characters to not be completely useless if adventuring there, just very handicapped.
Solid idea, but my idea was more about a Medieval style land rush. There were frontiers in the Medieval period, I wanted to bring one to Caithness.

Ancora Imparo
Old 10-19-2020, 06:12 PM   #37
Astromancer

Try this idea. A storm blows a ship off course on a voyage from Araterre to Azer and discovers new lands. a group of large (Iceland/Ireland sized) islands with a climate like northern Spain or southern France. These islands seem to be in an area of rich fishing.

Exploring and settling such islands would be a lively campaign.

I see the Manna level as Normal in most places with small areas of high manna.

Ancora Imparo
Old 10-19-2020, 06:43 PM   #38
Gold & Appel Inc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Astromancer View Post
Try this idea. A storm blows a ship off course on a voyage from Araterre to Azer and discovers new lands. a group of large (Iceland/Ireland sized) islands with a climate like northern Spain or southern France. These islands seem to be in an area of rich fishing.
They are unfortunately surrounded by an area of rich fishMEN! Shark Men to be exact, and they're not about to share their regional breadbasket without a fight.

Quote:
Exploring and settling such islands would be a lively campaign.
You can say that again...

Quote:
I see the Manna level as Normal in most places with small areas of high manna.
Each with a grand and strange temple dedicated to something straight out of Lovecraft at its center!
Gold & Appel Inc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2020, 06:56 PM   #39
Astromancer

You rewrite my notion in interesting ways. I propose the sharkmen follow later ships and try to keep the fisheries they find.

Meanwhile, my choice for otherworldly horrors would be the fay. As nasty as Cthulhu but more congruent with the setting.

Ancora Imparo
Old 10-19-2020, 07:07 PM   #40
Gold & Appel Inc

Quote:
You rewrite my notion in interesting ways. I propose the sharkmen follow later ships and try to keep the fisheries they find.

Meanwhile, my choice for otherworldly horrors would be the fay. As nasty as Cthulhu but more congruent with the setting.
The Banestorm book drops some pretty big hints that the Old Gods of Olokun are a lot more tentacly than that, and that the Shark Men would really like to have them back in their lives. What better place to build a monument / landing pad for them than high mana zones on isolated islands? Dark faeries can also, of course, be invited to the party, perhaps trying to make themselves strange bedfellows to the human explorers with the common cause of keeping out the Great(er) Old(er) Ones (but can they be trusted? Do you need to ask?), or trying to co-opt the Sharks by impersonating them...
Gold & Appel Inc is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
banestorm, yrth