Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 09-29-2014, 10:06 AM   #1
Dragondog
Never Been Pretty

Default Grappling a kneeling target

An enemy is kneeling and a PC in one of my games decided to grapple the opponent's neck.

B370 says "Posture: To grapple a prone, kneeling, or sitting opponent, you must kneel or lie down yourself, unless his Size Modifier is two or more greater than yours. You may do this as part of the “step” component of an Attack maneuver."

So I'm saying he cannot grapple the opponent while standing.

The player says that that only applies if you're trying to grapple the torso. But the only listed differences to target other hit locations, that I can see, deal with difficulty to hit and what happens when you succeed, not that you can grapple from other postures.

Am I reading this right?
Dragondog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2014, 10:11 AM   #2
Nereidalbel

Default Re: Grappling a kneeling target

Reality test: can you effectively grab the neck of somebody who is kneeling while you are standing?

I'm inclined to say you'd be at some penalty to your effective ST, as you'd have to bend over and be in an awkward position for both balance and leverage. So, yes, kneeling behind the opponent is the correct course of action. A forced Change Posture can be used to make the opponent stand up, once the grapple is successful.
Nereidalbel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2014, 02:43 PM   #3
Captain Joy

Default Re: Grappling a kneeling target

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nereidalbel View Post
Reality test: can you effectively grab the neck of somebody who is kneeling while you are standing?

I'm inclined to say you'd be at some penalty to your effective ST, as you'd have to bend over and be in an awkward position for both balance and leverage. So, yes, kneeling behind the opponent is the correct course of action. A forced Change Posture can be used to make the opponent stand up, once the grapple is successful.
Agreed. I say kneeling at no penalty, or crouching at -3. (I gave very little thought to my "-3".)
Captain Joy is offline   Reply With Quote