Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 09-27-2014, 11:03 AM   #11
Fred Brackin

Default Re: How would YOU build them?!??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otaku View Post
What episode are they on for CN? It might matter as a point of reference. .
They are in what's probably the early middle of the invasion of Eenie's Lobby. I don't know the number but Luffy's likely halfway through beating up the first of CP9. Also, 2 members of CP9 just ate Devil Fruit but we don't know yet what they got.

I google one piece Garp and It looks like he hasn't appeared yet in the dubs. We also missed the later parts of the Skypeia arc. There was a gap between where Toonami left off and where it picked back up.
Old 09-27-2014, 11:25 AM   #12
Otaku

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred Brackin View Post
They are in what's probably the early middle of the invasion of Eenie's Lobby. I don't know the number but Luffy's likely halfway through beating up the first of CP9. Also, 2 members of CP9 just ate Devil Fruit but we don't know yet what they got.

I google one piece Garp and It looks like he hasn't appeared yet in the dubs. We also missed the later parts of the Skypeia arc. There was a gap between where Toonami left off and where it picked back up.
Thanks for clarifying; that's the downside of something that can have four distinct, current "followings" (Cartoon Network versus home release versus broadcast/streaming versus manga) plus things like the 4Kids dub. It can really, really change how one would stat up these characters.

For the record Hunter X Hunter has the manga, the 1999-2001 animé series + OVAs, and lastly the 2011-2014 series, which had two theatrical releases that I have not seen. The former, likely because of releasing when the manga was much newer, includes non-canonical content to help pad out its run, while the the latter stays much closer to the manga, though it did move at least one event around (from the reader's perspective, anyway). Can't speak for the fidelity of its ending, either, as I didn't get that far in the manga.

Fairy Tail can even be a bit confusing because it has the core manga and some spin offs. While its the same production studio (or at least one of them is the same) with the same VAs and the storyline clearly continues from one to the other, technically the "main" animé for Fairy Tail are two separate series (there was about a nine month gap between the two is all). There are also some OVAs.
My GURPS Fourth Edition library consists of Basic Set: Characters, Basic Set: Campaigns, Martial Arts, Powers, Powers: Enhanced Senses, Power-Ups 1: Imbuements, Power-Ups 2: Perks, Power-Ups 3: Talents, Power-Ups 4: Enhancements, Power-Ups 6: Quirks, Power-Ups 8: Limitations, Powers, Social Engineering, Supers, Template Toolkit 1: Characters, Template Toolkit 2: Races, one issue of Pyramid (3/83) a.k.a. Alternate GURPS IV, GURPS Classic Rogues, and GURPS Classic Warriors. Most of which was provided through the generosity of others. Thanks! :)
Otaku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2014, 12:13 PM   #13
WingedKagouti

Quote:
Originally Posted by RadSprack View Post
Earlier versions (right around when they start their adventure (if applicable)) would be super helpful in getting my head wrapped around starting my players and NPCs.
<snip>
Natsu (Fairy Tail)
Erza (Fairy Tail)
Not following HxH and others seem to try to cover OP.

Natsu probably has Imbue (from PU1) with Burning Strike (Unarmed) and Incindiary Weapon (Unarmed) along with some Innate Attacks (Burning) for his offensive abilities. For defensive abilities he probably has 20+ DR (Absorption (heal HP/FP), Limited: Fire/Heat) + IT:DR /10 (Limited: Fire/Heat) or better.

Stat wise he'd probably be something like ST 13, DX 16, IQ 10 (Will 16) and HT 16. His main combat skill seems to be Brawling.

Erza can be built in different ways. One would be a ton (or more) worth of Payload and then buying the gear she can access as equipment (this only works for stuff that could be purchased with money, given as gifts and so on). Another would be an Alternate Form for each set of gear she can access, or possibly a heavily modified version of Morph. I don't think she has ever been interrupted when changing gear, so whichever method used should be modified with enough Reduced Time to bring it to a 1 second activation.

Stat wise she's probably ST 20+, DX 16+, IQ 12 (Will 16) and HT 18. Weapon Master (All) and lots of skill in Broadsword and a good amount of Shield.

Quote:
What episode are they on for CN? It might matter as a point of reference. You've got some people watching it there, some people watching it via the home video releases, and some people watching the subbed episodes available on Crunchyroll, Funimation and Hulu's websites (as in officially, legally available).
And then there are those who follow the manga (ie. quite a bit further ahead than the anime versions).

One thing that seems almost universal between Shonen protagonists is Will 16+ and HT 16+ or Unkillable 1. Once they set their mind to something they almost never give up, they can take beatings that would kill almost anyone else and still stand up and beat down the bad guy. This should probably be toned down if you want to challenge the players in combat.
WingedKagouti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2014, 02:18 PM   #14
Otaku

Quote:
Originally Posted by WingedKagouti View Post
One thing that seems almost universal between Shonen protagonists is Will 16+ and HT 16+ or Unkillable 1. Once they set their mind to something they almost never give up, they can take beatings that would kill almost anyone else and still stand up and beat down the bad guy. This should probably be toned down if you want to challenge the players in combat.
It also leads to the question of whether it should be more of a campaign feature.

The following has some vague spoilers, including some references to even more series for comparison (and I apologize if this seems tedious but I have had so much spoiled for various series, I still get a bit paranoid about labeling such things).

Of the three series the characters currently being discussed were pulled from, One Piece seems to make everyone harder to kill than normal, possibly to help keep the series from getting bogged down in "action scenes", since as strong as the non-minor characters are, the body count from them fighting would become obscene otherwise. However this incredibly endurance has gotten to the point where tragic back story character deaths (let alone any seeming deaths on screen) are worth calling into question even apart from the series' fantastic elements, and unintentionally make the characters that do end up dying look unlucky or fragile. I definitely think something like the old 3e Stun rules are in effect here (and please forgive me for not knowing the equivalent 4e rules).

Fairy Tail isn't quite as bad, but that may just be because it isn't as old of a series, and magic is more prevalent so when someone is saved by such intervention, it just feels like a part of the campaign setting. It had one character who died as part of the typical "tragic back story" revived due to editorial fiat, plus again to keep the high collateral damage heroes from becoming monsters, everyone (even minor NPCs) seems to be quite lucky and/or durable. ^^

Hunter X Hunter, by comparison, then seems almost sadistic because of how many characters are killed (and usually for keeps). I was going to make a joke about Attack On Titan level body counts, but that isn't actually too far off. The series begins seeming like your typical shounen title, after a few episodes you realize that anyone that isn't one of the four main characters seems to have better odds of dying than living. Enough characters are introduced that it isn't as bad as it might seem (plus the general background population of the setting is more robust), but fans of HxH like me are learning that if you like a character other than the main four, you hope they are used sparingly or never seen again, for the character's own sake!

Sometimes I think that is why the main four characters of HxH regularly split up and do stuff off camera, sometimes be absent entire arcs. Many characters take leaves from the "main group", and sometimes the action follows only one while the others are doing their thing "off camera". Suspension of disbelief might be broken if we saw all four constantly hanging out together and surviving. XD
My GURPS Fourth Edition library consists of Basic Set: Characters, Basic Set: Campaigns, Martial Arts, Powers, Powers: Enhanced Senses, Power-Ups 1: Imbuements, Power-Ups 2: Perks, Power-Ups 3: Talents, Power-Ups 4: Enhancements, Power-Ups 6: Quirks, Power-Ups 8: Limitations, Powers, Social Engineering, Supers, Template Toolkit 1: Characters, Template Toolkit 2: Races, one issue of Pyramid (3/83) a.k.a. Alternate GURPS IV, GURPS Classic Rogues, and GURPS Classic Warriors. Most of which was provided through the generosity of others. Thanks! :)

Last edited by Otaku; 09-27-2014 at 06:01 PM. Reason: Terrible phrasing or even missing words confusing meaning. @_@
Old 09-27-2014, 05:48 PM   #15
simply Nathan
formerly known as 'Kenneth Latrans'

Quote:
The reason I bring this up is because... Luffy most definitely bleeds in One Piece (other than the 4Kids dub - did anyone ever bleed in that?).
Nope. 4kids is well known for censoring everything it gets ahold of to take out anything American parents are likely to deem unsuitable, well, for kids. Many fans have taken umbrage at them removing blood, beer, and guns (though One Piece was allowed to have them changed into Super Soaker-looking things rather than having goons run around with invisible guns as in their earlier Yu-Gi-Oh dub); I personally find their changes more endearing.

Even I sometimes go a bit overboard on this, such as censoring text (Japanese or English) into blank signs, skipping episodes so they can add the cute mascot character to a show's roster sooner, and lightening the skin of characters that look ethnic.
Old 09-27-2014, 05:58 PM   #16
Otaku

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenneth Latrans View Post
Even I sometimes go a bit overboard on this, such as censoring text (Japanese or English) into blank signs, skipping episodes so they can add the cute mascot character to a show's roster sooner, and lightening the skin of characters that look ethnic.
Am I reading that wrong, or are you saying to alter materials for your own... game? Personal consumption? Job at localizing such shows?
Old 09-28-2014, 11:12 AM   #17
Fred Brackin

I thought of some stuff to add.

Steng5h: Luffy frequently stretches out one arm and grabs a distant object then it's off he goes. This would require a enough ST that his BL equaled or exceeded his body weight.

Now Luffy is skinny (but maybe not Skinny) so we could be down in the vicinity of 125 lbs but that will require at least ST25. So that's the bottom of the neighborh0od we'd be talking about for him an Zolo.

.....and yes, he sometimes does exercise enormous ST without stretching.

Then there's the question of how much Stretching? Let's try for 30 yards though I'm sure he's reached for farther. We look ay Stretching in Characters and it sends us off to p.402 of Campaigns and we do some math and come up with 6 levels of Stretching.

That would be base 36pts and not too bad but there's a clause where it takes 1 Turn (1 second) to stretch per level. I don't see an Enhancement for "Instant Stretch". That's a fairly serious oversight as instant stretching is generally more common than the slow type.

Guesstimating we're going to be in the area of +50% Cosmic and similar in effect to Instant Acceleration for Enhanced Move so we're up to 54 pts.

By good Powers practices you'd then apply a Power Modifier to reflect the way that these specific powers can be negated or counteracted. Magical (-10%) is an example and Powers with that Modifier don't work in No Mana Zones and are subject to other kinds of anti-magical effects.

Unfortunately for theory I can't remember seeing any general anti-Devil Fruit measures. so maybe no PM.

Exploiting the Curse on Devil Fruit users would be covered by the Divine Curse Disad which would be something like "Can't swim, float, move or escape immersion under your own power". This should be pretty serious in what's very nearly a water world but wouldn't count for as much in amore conventional setting.
Old 09-28-2014, 01:25 PM   #18
Otaku

Quote:
Unfortunately for theory I can't remember seeing any general anti-Devil Fruit measures. so maybe no PM.

Exploiting the Curse on Devil Fruit users would be covered by the Divine Curse Disad which would be something like "Can't swim, float, move or escape immersion under your own power". This should be pretty serious in what's very nearly a water world but wouldn't count for as much in amore conventional setting.
Devil fruits powers can be negated by Kairoseki (海楼石), which has been translated as "Sea Stone", "Sea-prism Stone" and even as Cherry Stone in one of the games. Their effect seems to be variable, but so has their application, which may account for that. We first see one in Logue Town, where Smoker ("Chaser" in the 4Kids dub) wields an extremely long jitte tipped with a Sea Stone. The length is estimated to be 2.12 meters, but I don't know if that includes the handle or not... and if it isn't clear I'm just relaying information from the One Piece Wiki because... can I link to that? Forgive me for being so "off" on the board rules, but I never leave enough time to both comment and to read said rules for this board. >_<

Being a fan run wiki it obviously could contain gross errors in addition to guess work; for example the Smoker's weapon is supposedly named nanashaku, and as a shaku is apparently a Japanese measurement, that is how they arrived at its length (besides that matching its visual in the show within reason). Speaking of time earlier, I am out of it for now, so I'll just cover the basics of Sea Stone use:

Weapon - The tip of nanushaku allows Smoker to hit Devil Fruit users with powers that would otherwise protect them, without affecting his own powers.

Restraint - Manacles are made using them, which seem to shut off powers.

Confinement - large quantities both nullify powers and drain the energy of power users.
Old 09-28-2014, 02:06 PM   #19
Otaku

Also of note about negating Devil Fruit powers; immersion in standing water (regardless of the type) will negate a Devil Fruit Users powers and drain their strength if they are immersed past their knees (approximately). It doesn't have to be sea water, even though the "mineral" content of the sea is the justification for things like sea stones, and how zombies animated by the Kage Kage no Mi (...I don't have the English name handy) can be de-animated by putting salt into their mouth.

It just has to be the equivalent surface area of being immersed past one's knees; through something encountered far later on in the series, Luffy is underwater in a very durable bubble. He stretches his limbs through the bubble (it is resistant to bursting) to attack, but he can't hit as hard because the limb starts to weaken. Brook can run across water due to his relatively light nature and... it being an animé.

On the other hand, rain and waves don't affect power users.

Lastly (before I am out of time again), those using Armament Haki (which hardens the body) can hit and damage Devil Fruit eaters that normally won't be hurt by it, including crushing damage to Luffy, and different Devil Fruit powers can "counter" each other.
Old 09-29-2014, 12:41 AM   #20
Refplace

Quote:

That would be base 36pts and not too bad but there's a clause where it takes 1 Turn (1 second) to stretch per level. I don't see an Enhancement for "Instant Stretch". That's a fairly serious oversight as instant stretching is generally more common than the slow type.

Guesstimating we're going to be in the area of +50% Cosmic and similar in effect to Instant Acceleration for Enhanced Move so we're up to 54 pts.
Talent reduces the time so 4 levels would let him Streatch +-5 * SM of body part.
I use and am pretty sure seen a Kromm reply that you can take Reduced Time enhancement. Though I think your Cosmic idea is better.
My List of GURPS You Tube videos (plus a few other useful items)
My GURPS Wiki entries
Refplace is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
assistance needed, character building, help me out here, new gm, powers