Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 08-30-2015, 12:41 AM   #1
Mistofshadows

Default Question about affliction

My GM wants a second opinion on an ability build... so yeah... I'm wondering if the cosmic modifier can remove the physical or mental requirement so that I can afflict a social advantage or disadvantage rather than a physical or mental...

in one of the enhancement books it was 50% for a restriction reduction and 100% for cheating...

I'm curious if either one of these work.
Mistofshadows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2015, 02:45 AM   #2
Leynok

Default Re: Question about affliction

In my experience, such a limit is more of a guideline. +50% Cosmic could work fine.
The reason the book says no to it (or so I believe) is because afflicting someone with something social doesn't normally make sense, so they just said no. There shouldn't be any balance issue, the main question is does it make sense to both you and your GM outside of mechanics. How and why does it work the way it does? If your GM is happy with the flavour, there shouldn't be any problem.
Leynok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2015, 03:08 AM   #3
Flyndaran
Untagged

When I asked a similar question about Afflicting self-imposed disadvantages, I remember some suggesting Cosmic +100%.
Old 08-30-2015, 03:16 AM   #4
Leynok

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyndaran View Post
When I asked a similar question about Afflicting self-imposed disadvantages, I remember some suggesting Cosmic +100%.
Though Afflicting Self Imposed Disadvantages has much more room for abuse. It can make people refuse to fight with their favorite weapon, or any weapon at all, or even swear loyalty to you. Most Social Dis/Advantages don't have such room for abuse, the cosmic required to use them shouldn't be as severe.
Leynok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2015, 08:17 AM   #5
weby

It depends a lot on the self imposed or social disadvantage a slot of them are better modeled as other things and others do not really make sense.

In general on the self imposed mental disadvantages mind control is a better fit.

For social advantages/Disadvantages: Very few are suitable even with cosmic and many can be done some other way too, so overall it is usually better to use other methods. A generic common method is to use mind control on the other people who you want to react somehow to your target.

Some examples of random social advantages/disadvantages:
Wealth: How are you going to afflict this? It is not just money it is all the contacts and such.
Social stigmas: Some of these might be afflictable by changing how someone looks. So changing someone to look like a minority group could afflict social stigma(minority group). But afflicting a shapechange would work without having to break that rule.
Duty: It comes from occupation or social situation so not afflictable really. Better just to use mind control to give sense of duty.
Enemies: Better to just use mind control on the enemies to make them hostile to your target.
Allies: Just use mind control on the ally..
Alternate identity: How would you afflict this?
Clerical Investment: Well, theoretically a church can "afflict" this on people.. but if unwanted they can just ignore it.
Contacts: Again a mind control on the contacts might be a way.
Legal enforcement powers: Better to just mind control someone to grant them. Or for quick emergency use mind control other police that you are one of them too..
Legal immunity: Better to just mind control someone to grant a diplomatic passport..
Old 08-30-2015, 02:44 PM   #6
Mistofshadows

Thanks for the suggestions and ideas.
Old 08-30-2015, 08:06 PM   #7
Donny Brook

If I were the GM, I would point out that use of any rule is subject to GM approval, and I would be very leery of allowing a character with the power to make a friend into a Duke or Emperor merely through an Affliction.
Donny Brook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2015, 11:59 PM   #8
vicky_molokh
GURPS FAQ Keeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by weby View Post
It depends a lot on the self imposed or social disadvantage a slot of them are better modeled as other things and others do not really make sense.

In general on the self imposed mental disadvantages mind control is a better fit.

For social advantages/Disadvantages: Very few are suitable even with cosmic and many can be done some other way too, so overall it is usually better to use other methods. A generic common method is to use mind control on the other people who you want to react somehow to your target.

Some examples of random social advantages/disadvantages:
Wealth: How are you going to afflict this? It is not just money it is all the contacts and such.
Social stigmas: Some of these might be afflictable by changing how someone looks. So changing someone to look like a minority group could afflict social stigma(minority group). But afflicting a shapechange would work without having to break that rule.
Duty: It comes from occupation or social situation so not afflictable really. Better just to use mind control to give sense of duty.
Enemies: Better to just use mind control on the enemies to make them hostile to your target.
Allies: Just use mind control on the ally..
Alternate identity: How would you afflict this?
Clerical Investment: Well, theoretically a church can "afflict" this on people.. but if unwanted they can just ignore it.
Contacts: Again a mind control on the contacts might be a way.
Legal enforcement powers: Better to just mind control someone to grant them. Or for quick emergency use mind control other police that you are one of them too..
Legal immunity: Better to just mind control someone to grant a diplomatic passport..
The example that jumps to my mind is the genie from Disney's Alladin. Notably, the genies cannot Mind Control Jasmine into loving Alladin, but can Afflict Status, Rank and Wealth by turning Alladin into a prince. That's an explanation for such an affliction right there: the magic doesn't merely grant cash and material goods that are like that of a prince, but outright turns someone into a prince, complete with connections, influence, respect, and probably even an origin / genealogical tree / bloodline going all the way back to some ancient royalty. There's no mind control and no need for mind control because this is how non-mind-controlled people (servants, passing-by-peasants, whatever) treat royalty in this setting, and they know the truth that Alladin is of noble birth (after the genie works his magic, but before it is dispelled).
Old 09-01-2015, 02:21 PM   #9
dfinlay

There is also a case for afflicting with enemy, ally or claim to hospitality if you have a spell that magically marks someone. Perhaps a empowered priest can put a blessing on someone that angels can intuitively sense and they will protect those with that mark, for example. I'd call this Affliction (Ally Group).

It's odd when such a thing makes sense, but it can happen.
dfinlay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2015, 04:38 PM   #10
Mistofshadows

Mostly I was going to use the power to 'afflict' people with magical puppets that would follow them around and be helpful or maybe something like house elves... I mean Harry would probably at the start of book two consider Dobby an affliction.