Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > Play By Post

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-19-2024, 11:26 AM   #1711
ericthered
Hero of Democracy
 
ericthered's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: far from the ocean
Default Re: the Scout's Guide to the Multiverse

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_matrix_walker View Post
"I'm not looking to join up, just something honorary will do. I'm just playing around."
Armstrong: "Either way, we'll need to do SOMETHING to recognize what you've done."

Quote:
Peter will take the main road/path or what have you into town and take a few moments to examine the foot traffic and see's where is busy. He tries to determine if there is a general store. If there are multiple places to do business, he will select the busiest in the hopes that more people present means less chance of Peter being swindled. He will play it shy and try using his disarming smile and gestures as much as possible to dissuade Q&A.
He finds the main road and makes his way to what might be a general store... a small sign reads "Barnetts". He makes his way in, and finds the goods in the store are all behind the counter. He draws a lot of views, and a smile or two, as well as some small children pointing. The store is empty, except for a woman maybe in her 40's behind the counter.



"Hello, ummm... what do you want? Do I need to grab someone for you or are you just here to buy something?"


She's impressed by the chunk of silver he pulls out, and is willing to process it, but fiddles with scales for a bit before she decides to offer

16 "Crowns", each a large silver coin*. (4 pounds, or 80 shillings).



*the coinage situation here is British. Julian would handle the silliness that follows much more gracefully.



Quote:
Peter keeps his ears open and tried to pick up on whatever skuttlebutt he can while he is there. He will take advantage of his empathy and knowledge of body language to sus out someone trustworthy to do business with. He also keeps an eye out for other outsiders and anyone making the other townsfolk uneasy.
Quote:
He will try and outfit himself as fully as he can including proper footwear and extra socks. A compass if they have them, canteen, binoculars if they are there and in their price range. All the usual... He will set Armstrong's watch if he gives it to him to do so (or will purchase one if that was what he was expected to do). He will pick up the provisions discussed.
Her selection is fairly limited, but she does have a rugged outfit in his size, a pair of socks, and a canteen and compass. Her food is kind of naturally good for traveling, though she points out a bakery down the street ("see if Elsa has anything left"). For Fresh meat he'd have to wait until Friday, or until soldiers came through town with loose coin.



The compass eight shillings (two crowns), and the clothing is 2 pounds (8 crowns). for another four crowns he can get a winter coat and gloves (upgrade to winter clothing)



Armstrong just wants to check the time... no watch, and no purchase.


Quote:
Peter will also check around for the going rate on the horses. He will try and negotiate with the understanding he would return with additional funds to complete the transaction of they can come to an agreement. He will not reveal that he wants three, he first wants to get the price for different examples, so as to not let on they need that many if they don't end up doing business... No need to leave them with the memorable event of a boy looking for 3 horses.
horses are in short supply: soldiers came through and bought or stole everything "extra" already and some things they feel they couldn't spare. And Mrs. Barnett says she doesn't think 16 crowns is enough money to buy a horse anyways.
__________________
Be helpful, not pedantic

Worlds Beyond Earth -- my blog

Check out the PbP forum! If you don't see a game you'd like, ask me about making one!
ericthered is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2024, 12:13 PM   #1712
the_matrix_walker
 
the_matrix_walker's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Lynn, MA
Default Re: (IC) Lost In Dreams [Peter]

Peter takes in the sights, sounds and smells of the place.. he makes mental note of the taste of the air...

Does he get a good feeling from the woman? Is there another shop that Peter can compare the exchange on the silver to make sure he's not being cheated?

If Peter is reasonably sure he isn't being conned and has enough money, he will buy the clothing and some good traveling rations... If he buys the supplies he needs is there enough left for the coat or compass?

He makes note of any items that may be worth considering, that way he can make another trip if he needs to.

He will head over to the bakery to get a fresher meal for the men as well if there is any money left.

If he sees anything else of interest, he will make note of it and try and verify the time as the last thing he does before he heads back out of town to rejoin his companions.

He will fill them in on anything he saw that he did not purchase, but thought might be potentially useful, and make a return trip if needed.
the_matrix_walker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2024, 10:23 AM   #1713
ericthered
Hero of Democracy
 
ericthered's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: far from the ocean
Default Re: (IC) Lost In Dreams [Peter]

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_matrix_walker View Post
Does he get a good feeling from the woman? Is there another shop that Peter can compare the exchange on the silver to make sure he's not being cheated?
He gets a good feeling from this woman: sympathy and a general desire to help. He could also try the bakery, to see what they will give for his chunk of silver.

Quote:
If Peter is reasonably sure he isn't being conned and has enough money, he will buy the clothing and some good traveling rations... If he buys the supplies he needs is there enough left for the coat or compass?
The requested food is... 6 crowns (30 shillings). So Not enough for a coat.


Quote:
He makes note of any items that may be worth considering, that way he can make another trip if he needs to.

He will head over to the bakery to get a fresher meal for the men as well if there is any money left.
There are two shillings left. which is enough to get a big loaf of hearty bread to take back.

Quote:
If he sees anything else of interest, he will make note of it and try and verify the time as the last thing he does before he heads back out of town to rejoin his companions.

He will fill them in on anything he saw that he did not purchase, but thought might be potentially useful, and make a return trip if needed.
He checks the time and heads back. Armstrong is grateful for the time, and they all enjoy the bread. Williamson gives him 6 crowns for "the food" and an extra four crowns for "services rendered".


The men are disappointed by the horses, especially that Peter didn't go scope out the existing horses anyways. Williamson regrets they didn't try to take the horses of the enemy soldiers. They're happy to send Peter back in to buy more, and talk about finding a shed or barn somewhere to sleep tonight.
__________________
Be helpful, not pedantic

Worlds Beyond Earth -- my blog

Check out the PbP forum! If you don't see a game you'd like, ask me about making one!
ericthered is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2024, 11:58 AM   #1714
the_matrix_walker
 
the_matrix_walker's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Lynn, MA
Default Re: (IC) Lost In Dreams [Peter]

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericthered View Post
He gets a good feeling from this woman: sympathy and a general desire to help. He could also try the bakery, to see what they will give for his chunk of silver.
If he has a good feeling about her, he will go with it. He's a little surprised at how little it comes to given his shopping list. He will try and haggle to have enough for the coat. (He can use his makeshift clothing for an extra layer of warmth if he needs to.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericthered View Post
The men are disappointed by the horses, especially that Peter didn't go scope out the existing horses anyways. Williamson regrets they didn't try to take the horses of the enemy soldiers. They're happy to send Peter back in to buy more, and talk about finding a shed or barn somewhere to sleep tonight.
Well, I did try to have Peter comparison shop and check things out around town with a haggling strategy...

Peter will go back into town for anything else they might want him to pick up, as well as check out the horse situation if they want... But he points out that every time he leaves and comes back to town is more suspicious and if they leave town with three horses, it will certainly be remarkable to anyone keeping their eye out.

Peter is the junior helper, so I don't expect him to be in charge of the mission, but he will give his 2 cents... if they are hoping to not endanger the town, staying here is a bad idea. It may be best just to keep moving.
the_matrix_walker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2024, 02:46 PM   #1715
ericthered
Hero of Democracy
 
ericthered's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: far from the ocean
Default Re: (IC) Lost In Dreams [Peter]

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_matrix_walker View Post
If he has a good feeling about her, he will go with it. He's a little surprised at how little it comes to given his shopping list. He will try and haggle to have enough for the coat. (He can use his makeshift clothing for an extra layer of warmth if he needs to.)
To be fair, I'm surprised how little money a pound of silver ended up being.


Quote:
Well, I did try to have Peter comparison shop and check things out around town with a haggling strategy...
I'm good with saying Peter went comparison shopping around. They were hoping he'd have gone around looking at the existing horses that weren't for sale... It seems they've got half a mind to just ride off with them and send them back later.


Quote:
Peter will go back into town for anything else they might want him to pick up, as well as check out the horse situation if they want... But he points out that every time he leaves and comes back to town is more suspicious and if they leave town with three horses, it will certainly be remarkable to anyone keeping their eye out.
Armstrong: "We can make do without the horses. Go ahead and buy your coat."



The woman is gone, and a man is at the counter of Barnetts, who makes no comment about his return.



Quote:
Peter is the junior helper, so I don't expect him to be in charge of the mission, but he will give his 2 cents... if they are hoping to not endanger the town, staying here is a bad idea. It may be best just to keep moving.
Armstrong: "We did get to stay in good shelter last night. It'd be nice to stay somewhere with a fire though."
Williamson: "we're in friendly country now, it'd be a shame not to use it."
Armstrong: "we're also in a spot where a few more hours can throw them off our trail, if we can use the road. We should be able to move on the moonlight shift. Get some rest, and we'll rise when the moon is back up again. But the lookout should stay sharp, the trackers could catch up with us here."


Looking up, Peter notices the moon has traveled across the sky while he's been going in and out of town... in the opposite direction from the sun.
__________________
Be helpful, not pedantic

Worlds Beyond Earth -- my blog

Check out the PbP forum! If you don't see a game you'd like, ask me about making one!
ericthered is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2024, 08:51 PM   #1716
the_matrix_walker
 
the_matrix_walker's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Lynn, MA
Default Re: (IC) Lost In Dreams [Peter]

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericthered View Post
To be fair, I'm surprised how little money a pound of silver ended up being.
Ditto!
Quote:
Originally Posted by ericthered View Post
I'm good with saying Peter went comparison shopping around. They were hoping he'd have gone around looking at the existing horses that weren't for sale... It seems they've got half a mind to just ride off with them and send them back later.
Peter has stolen clothing and food, and the occasional cat-girl-bioroid, but horse-thievery is a bugblatter beast of different color!

Instead Peter makes a bet for the three horses that he can pull a (karana) dragonfly out of his pocket that will land on a post exactly where Peter tells it to and fly back between the man's legs and into Peter's pocket. - Just kidding! Skipping the horses...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericthered View Post
The woman is gone, and a man is at the counter of Barnetts, who makes no comment about his return.
Peter will go get the coat and a few more treats for Goliath and the men to eat if there is no other equipment they can use.

Peter sees no need for carrying around extra money when he'll just as-likely-as-not wake up naked and elsewhere.

"Hi there. Where's the nice lady go?"

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericthered View Post
Armstrong: "We did get to stay in good shelter last night. It'd be nice to stay somewhere with a fire though."
Williamson: "we're in friendly country now, it'd be a shame not to use it."
Armstrong: "we're also in a spot where a few more hours can throw them off our trail, if we can use the road. We should be able to move on the moonlight shift. Get some rest, and we'll rise when the moon is back up again. But the lookout should stay sharp, the trackers could catch up with us here."
If the men are willing to lay low outside of town, Peter will help them pick a low profile, easily camouflaged spot to reduce their chances of being seen (or try to anyway).

Peter offers to take whatever watch the other men least want.

"So we're headed toward that mountain, just how far do we need to go to deliver our message to the general?"


Quote:
Originally Posted by ericthered View Post
Looking up, Peter notices the moon has traveled across the sky while he's been going in and out of town... in the opposite direction from the sun.
"I will never get used to this." Peter say's with a broad grin spreading across his face.

When time allows, Peter will practice his Yaka techniques and ask Armstrong about the ones he has not yet seen demonstrated.

"How far can the 'Voice' be felt for? Can you explain how to do it without doing it?"

"What does 'Door' do exactly? Is it some kind of teleportation?"


Peter will do his best as a scout and hasten them on their mission.

Last edited by the_matrix_walker; 01-24-2024 at 06:57 AM. Reason: punctuation
the_matrix_walker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2024, 11:07 AM   #1717
ericthered
Hero of Democracy
 
ericthered's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: far from the ocean
Default Re: (IC) Lost In Dreams [Peter]

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_matrix_walker View Post
Peter will go get the coat and a few more treats for Goliath and the men to eat if there is no other equipment they can use.

Peter sees no need for carrying around extra money when he'll just as-likely-as-not wake up naked and elsewhere.
6 crowns gets him a coat, compass, warm hat and gloves. That leaves him with four crowns. He could buy a tent, buy a backback, or buy blankets and some food for goliath. He has enough money for matches in any case.


Quote:
"Hi there. Where's the nice lady go?"
"What, the lovely Mrs. Barnett? She's busy in the house. Do you need her for something specific?"

Quote:
If the men are willing to lay low outside of town, Peter will help them pick a low profile, easily camouflaged spot to reduce their chances of being seen (or try to anyway).
This terrain is tricky for Peter (he's defaulting from other survivals) but he gets lucky and finds a nice spot.


Quote:
Peter offers to take whatever watch the other men least want.
They're not ready to give him a watch shift yet.


Quote:
"So we're headed toward that mountain, just how far do we need to go to deliver our message to the general?"
Armstrong: "I don't know where his camp is. We'll need to figure that out. I'd guess we have three more days of travel."

Quote:
When time allows, Peter will practice his Yaka techniques and ask Armstrong about the ones he has not yet seen demonstrated.

"How far can the 'Voice' be felt for? Can you explain how to do it without doing it?"
Armstrong. "No, I can't really explain it. It can be felt for about 10 miles, I'd think. Depends on who's nearby."


Quote:
"What does 'Door' do exactly? Is it some kind of teleportation?"
Williamson: "haven't you wondered how the portals work? Its Yaka. A very difficult Yaka skill."


Armstrong: "Most people who learn the door don't learn the rest of Yaka. Some call it the Coward's choice. It takes at least five Yaka and a lot of practice. I don't know it."


its sometime in the middle of the night when Williamson wakes him to walk by moonlight. "Phobos", as Armstrong calls the moon, has completed its cycle and is back in the west again. Peter's night vision serves him well as he packs up for the hike.



As he's packing, he sees a light in the distance, back the way they came from.
__________________
Be helpful, not pedantic

Worlds Beyond Earth -- my blog

Check out the PbP forum! If you don't see a game you'd like, ask me about making one!
ericthered is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2024, 12:42 PM   #1718
the_matrix_walker
 
the_matrix_walker's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Lynn, MA
Default Re: (IC) Lost In Dreams [Peter]

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericthered View Post
6 crowns gets him a coat, compass, warm hat and gloves. That leaves him with four crowns. He could buy a tent, buy a backback, or buy blankets and some food for goliath. He has enough money for matches in any case.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ericthered View Post
"What, the lovely Mrs. Barnett? She's busy in the house. Do you need her for something specific?"
"Nope, She was just nice and I was just curious! I'd like some matches and some food for my dog... I'm also looking at the tent and blankets.. can we haggle a bit?"

Peter will do his best to get out of there with a little extra than his coffers would suggest.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericthered View Post
Armstrong: "I don't know where his camp is. We'll need to figure that out. I'd guess we have three more days of travel."


Armstrong. "No, I can't really explain it. It can be felt for about 10 miles, I'd think. Depends on who's nearby."

Williamson: "haven't you wondered how the portals work? Its Yaka. A very difficult Yaka skill."

"Right, right! Of course!"
Peter feigns a brain fart rather than give more clues to his ignorance of the world.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericthered View Post

Armstrong: "Most people who learn the door don't learn the rest of Yaka. Some call it the Coward's choice. It takes at least five Yaka and a lot of practice. I don't know it."


its sometime in the middle of the night when Williamson wakes him to walk by moonlight. "Phobos", as Armstrong calls the moon, has completed its cycle and is back in the west again. Peter's night vision serves him well as he packs up for the hike.
Peter is amused at the coincidence that this reddish landscape is on a planet with a moon with the same name as one of the moons of Mars (as of course, this couldn't be Mars, there would be no oxygen and it would have much lower gravity).

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericthered View Post

As he's packing, he sees a light in the distance, back the way they came from.
Peter alerts his companions to the light he spots and urges them on to try and outpace them if they are pursuers.
the_matrix_walker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2024, 01:56 PM   #1719
ericthered
Hero of Democracy
 
ericthered's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: far from the ocean
Default Re: (IC) Lost In Dreams [Peter]

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_matrix_walker View Post
"Nope, She was just nice and I was just curious! I'd like some matches and some food for my dog... I'm also looking at the tent and blankets.. can we haggle a bit?"

Peter will do his best to get out of there with a little extra than his coffers would suggest.
He does his best to haggle, and gets a shilling off.... a quarter of a crown. (default merchant roll got a 10)

Quote:
"Right, right! Of course!" Peter feigns a brain fart rather than give more clues to his ignorance of the world.
Quote:
Peter is amused at the coincidence that this reddish landscape is on a planet with a moon with the same name as one of the moons of Mars (as of course, this couldn't be Mars, there would be no oxygen and it would have much lower gravity).
ahhh, ignorance. At some point someone is going to call this place mars. "Tharis" could be another hint, its a real region of mars, but that's a little more niche knowledge.

Quote:
Peter alerts his companions to the light he spots and urges them on to try and outpace them if they are pursuers.
Williamson curses. "They must be tracking us by lantern. Haverson would be really useful here. Nichols, how good of a shot are you?"

when Peter does not tell them he's a crack marksman, Williamson swears again and says "Then lets move it. wish we got those horses."

They pack up just a touch more awkwardly and hurriedly, and try to get ahead of their pursuers, and try to head through the town, hopefully confusing the dogs. Peter keeps up with the brisk pace the two of them are setting, and he's even surprised by how well he does(you rolled a 7).

They get to the main road, and hurry through town.

Armstrong: "Nichols, you have a dog, any idea how long we need to be on here before the dogs loose our scent?"

Williamson: "We have a healer now... do you think you could face them?"

Armstrong: "I don't know how many they have, and if they have a Yaka."
__________________
Be helpful, not pedantic

Worlds Beyond Earth -- my blog

Check out the PbP forum! If you don't see a game you'd like, ask me about making one!
ericthered is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2024, 05:28 PM   #1720
the_matrix_walker
 
the_matrix_walker's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Lynn, MA
Default The Scout's Guide to the Multiverse - Peter Nichols of Mars

Quote:
He does his best to haggle, and gets a shilling off.... a quarter of a crown. (default merchant roll got a 10)
Was he able to get the tent and blanket?

Quote:
ahhh, ignorance. At some point someone is going to call this place mars. "Tharis" could be another hint, its a real region of mars, but that's a little more niche knowledge.
I'm going to say Peter's expertise on Mars ends with knowing the moons, that there is a little more gravity than the moon, and that you can't breathe there...

Quote:
Armstrong: "Nichols, you have a dog, any idea how long we need to be on here before the dogs loose our scent?"
Going into town with the Martian Soldiers was something we wanted to avoid doing... Or Peter did anyway... but it is the best way to try and shake them off the trail if they are using dogs.

"Not really, breeds are different, and I've never tried doing it through a town, that would be tough. If we are going through the town we should backtrack on our path a bit, then come back and circle in to maybe confuse them and slow them down, then we go through and through and lose our scents with that of the town. Tracking is slower than walking, and we can doubletime it out the side road."

Peters mind reels and he thinks back to checking out the town... where were those animal pens, horses and anything else that might have a strong odor to throw off the dogs... He plans thor route accordingly. (Lemon juicing their shoes might work, and be hilarious... Did Peter see any citrus? :D )

Quote:
Williamson: "We have a healer now... do you think you could face them?"

Armstrong: "I don't know how many they have, and if they have a Yaka."
"And I can't heal him if he's dead, I don't think..."

"The group tracking us before didn't have dogs... so this is another group. You guys are popular!"

Peter recalls a third group from the dream that brought him here, travelling with a bird... Very popular indeed.

----------------------

Is there any activity in the town at this hour? Any fires burning?
the_matrix_walker is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
lost in dreams

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Fnords are Off
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 12:49 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2024, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.