Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Board and Card Games > Ogre and G.E.V.

Old 10-19-2012, 07:46 AM   #21
GranitePenguin
Ogre Line Editor

Default Re: Rulebook PDF Posted

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScarecrowKing View Post
He was asking about treads in particular. In that case, each squad must fire separately.

-Brian
Actually, the problem is it isn't clear that is the case. The rules say infantry can be grouped how you want, effectively deciding what infantry "units" with which you are attacking. It does not say each squad within the group must fire individually, or that each squad represents a "unit".

7.13.2 only says each "unit" must attack treads individually, implying that if I decide to have a 2-squad "unit" and a 1-squad "unit", I will have two attacks.

There should be an explicit description of how infantry attacks treads.
Old 10-19-2012, 05:14 PM   #22
GranitePenguin
Ogre Line Editor

Disabled clarification:

Units that can be disabled by terrain (eg, GEV into forest), are disabled only when _entering_ the hex, correct? What happens in the case where a unit has moved into a hex and has subsequently recovered?

Specifically, if the unit does not move again, it does not run the risk of having to roll for being disabled again, because it did not move _into_ the hex (ie. being disabled by terrain requires movement into the terrain).

That's how I understand it, but I don't know if it's 100% clear.
Old 10-19-2012, 09:50 PM   #23
SCUBA Hero

GranitePenguin and ScarecrowKing,

Thanks for the discussion; it mirrors my own thinking and confusion.

3.02 Infantry refers to "units", "squads", and "counters" - but I am unable to determine what a "unit" means in terms of 7.12.2.

(Note that I had similar confusion in earlier versions on whether or not the attacker or defender could choose how multiple squads chose to defend [individually or in groups], but that is now answered by 7.12.1 - hmmmm, that rule talks about "stacks" consisting of "several infantry units", implying that each squad must attack an Ogre's treads separately, but then goes on to say "in an overrun attack (8.00), though, each squad is always a separate unit" - which implies that under other circumstances, each squad is NOT always a separate unit - so I'm still uncertain as to the answer.)
SCUBA Hero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 10:41 PM   #24
GranitePenguin
Ogre Line Editor

Well, in an overrun situation, it's a special case.

Overruns are meant to simulate "taking the hill" by shoving a lot of units into a small space and resolving the battle during a movement phase. During an overrun, infantry is split up into individual 1-squad units. It represents the mobility of the infantry in very close quarters. Infantry is _very_ dangerous during overruns.

In other non-overrun cases, infantry squad size is a bit of a floater, where they can be split up or combined pretty much at will.

A "counter" is the physical board piece

A "squad" is the individual 1/1 strength item represented on the counter. The counter may have up to 3 squads on it, resulting in 1/1, 2/1, or 3/1 with a D1, D2, or D3, respectively

A "unit" in the context of 3.02 just talks about how a 3-squad is equivalent to 1 armor unit from a value perspective. It also applies to 5.02 and 5.02.2 for stacking limits.

Regarding 7.12.1 and 7.12.2, "unit" is interchangeable with "counter", but the squads are what actually matter. Think of infantry "units" as being virtual counters in most cases, where the physical counters are just convenient placeholders.

Infantry can regroup like crazy; they are actually pretty cool. It's usually advantageous when defending to have larger numbers, to increase the Defense (ie, 3/1 with a D3), but each squad can always attack individually if desired.

Last edited by GranitePenguin; 10-19-2012 at 10:45 PM.
GranitePenguin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 11:04 PM   #25
GranitePenguin
Ogre Line Editor

Just a question of clarification: GEV vs G.E.V.

G.E.V. = The name of the game, when talking about maps and such
GEV = The name of the units in the game

Is that a fair assessment? I'm just trying to establish if there are any GEV/G.E.V. inconsistencies in the text.
Old 10-20-2012, 01:08 AM   #26
Andrew Hackard
Munchkin Line Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by GranitePenguin View Post
Is that a fair assessment? I'm just trying to establish if there are any GEV/G.E.V. inconsistencies in the text.
Many questions of this sort are answered in our Online Style Guide (and I've linked you directly to the "G" section of that document).

Let people like what they like. Don't be a gamer hater.

#PlayMunchkin on social media: Twitter || Facebook || Instagram || YouTube
Follow us on Kickstarter: Steve Jackson Games and Warehouse 23
Andrew Hackard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 08:13 AM   #27
GranitePenguin
Ogre Line Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Hackard View Post
Many questions of this sort are answered in our Online Style Guide (and I've linked you directly to the "G" section of that document).
Always the gentleman. Thanks, Andrew. I had no idea that even existed.
Old 10-20-2012, 08:26 AM   #28
GranitePenguin
Ogre Line Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by FJCestero View Post
Next, make it clear that a super doing the splits is 3+3, not 4+2 or 5+1 as you wish. If we're going through the trouble of clarifying that tread units are not expended with movement...

--Francisco
This is covered under 7.02: "A unit with an asterisk after its attack strength may divide that strength into two equal attacks. For instance, the Superheavy Tank (6*/3) may attack with two separate 3/3 attacks."
Old 10-20-2012, 08:46 AM   #29
GranitePenguin
Ogre Line Editor

successive AP attacks on infantry:

The exception in 7.09 "Exception: Per 7.05.1, an infantry unit may only suffer one AP attack per turn from each attacking unit." is a bit obtuse.

The referred text in 7.05.1 "No infantry unit may be attacked more than once per turn by the Ogre’s AP, but any number of the Ogre’s AP weapons may be used for that single attack." talks only about Ogre AP specifically.

Since 7.05.1 doesn't cover non-Ogre AP, it muddies the water a bit to use it as an inclusive reference (ie "Per 7.05.1"). It is helpful to point out the special case of Ogre AP vs non-Ogre AP, though.

Suggested text:
7.09 Successive attacks. Any number of successive attacks may be made against any unit or Ogre weapon in one turn, provided that each attacking unit or weapon fires only once. Exception: An infantry unit may only suffer one AP attack per turn from each attacking unit. See 7.05.1 for Ogre-specific AP attack behavior.
Old 10-20-2012, 09:14 AM   #30
GranitePenguin
Ogre Line Editor

General PDF suggestion:
Please note, this is just a comment for later.

If the PDF is ever going to be released on its own, it would be helpful if rules references were links to the corresponding rule. For example:

2.01.7 Damaged town and forest has a reference to 13.01. It would be nice if 13.01 was a clickable link to actually go to 13.01