Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > The Fantasy Trip > The Fantasy Trip: House Rules

Old 12-29-2018, 02:28 PM   #21
TippetsTX

Default Re: Show me the magic!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scintillant View Post
Maybe this one less so.
IQ 13, Capture Scene (S): The caster holds a parchment, paper, or piece of cloth (a blank scroll is ideal) while casting this spell to capture what she sees as a line drawing in black ink. A magnifying glass is needed to reveal the astonishing detail. It is not dependent on the caster’s eyesight, but spells in effect at the time (e.g. Close Vision, Mage Sight) do affect what it shows. Cost: 3 ST
This is a cool spell.
Old 12-30-2018, 12:13 PM   #22
Barliman

Quote:
Originally Posted by TippetsTX View Post
This is a cool spell.
I can see blackmailers having fun with this: "So, Lord Duke, if you don't want this line-drawing of your... 'interests' in Prootwaddles to become public..."
Barliman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2018, 08:48 PM   #23
warhorse11h

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scintillant View Post
IQ 13, Capture Scene (S): The caster holds a parchment, paper, or piece of cloth (a blank scroll is ideal) while casting this spell to capture what she sees as a line drawing in black ink. A magnifying glass is needed to reveal the astonishing detail. It is not dependent on the caster’s eyesight, but spells in effect at the time (e.g. Close Vision, Mage Sight) do affect what it shows. Cost: 3 ST
Opens up a new job for a wizard working for the local watch. Forensic Artist he goes to major crime scenes and records the evidence collection and documents the scene with his drawings. He would have to make multiple drawings to accurately represent the scene, so he might need an apprentice or two.
warhorse11h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2019, 07:04 PM   #24
hcobb

IQ 12 Summon Bigger Fish(C): If there are no fish (air breathing mammals and reptiles, and mer humanoids don't count) within 10 MH this spell costs one fatigue and does nothing. Otherwise it summons one fish to fight at the wizard's command. This fish is of whatever type needed to have 20% more ST than any other fish within 10 MH (round down). Cost 4 to cast, one to maintain.

c.f. https://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.p...mmonBiggerFish
Old 01-03-2019, 07:44 AM   #25
Helborn

Quote:
Originally Posted by hcobb View Post
IQ 12 Summon Bigger Fish(C): If there are no fish (air breathing mammals and reptiles, and mer humanoids don't count) within 10 MH this spell costs one fatigue and does nothing. Otherwise it summons one fish to fight at the wizard's command. This fish is of whatever type needed to have 20% more ST than any other fish within 10 MH (round down). Cost 4 to cast, one to maintain.

c.f. https://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.p...mmonBiggerFish
There might an (S) version and either the village headman would come rambling towards the Wizard or an irate local lord with a bunch of guards.
Old 01-03-2019, 08:38 AM   #26
hcobb

Magic Broom: The 2-hex Magic Carpet enchantment may be cast on an ordinary broom instead. If this is combined with Staff the physical strikes can only be done while holding rather than riding the broom and do two less damage than a one handed club. The occult strikes work as normal. In addition a Staff Broom can be commanded to do simple tasks by the owner such as sweep the floors or strike someone. Each command or strike requires the 3/IQ command roll and any strikes are at the Telekinesis -4 DX. There are obscure warnings about a mouse setting his broom to fetch water as a lesson to apprentices.
Old 02-03-2019, 06:03 PM   #27
TippetsTX

Looking for feedback on this one... not super confident on cost, duration, IQ level, etc.

IQ 14 - Enlarge/Reduce (T)

This spell will temporarily alter the size of any being or non-magical object no more than one hex in size. The ‘enlarge’ aspect of the spell doubles the target’s size and weight while ‘reduce’ will decrease the target’s size and weight by half.

When cast on a non-magical inanimate object, the change will last 5 minutes and costs 5 ST. When cast on a living being, however, the effect will only last 5 turns. Cost is 5 ST if the wizard casts the spell on themselves or 10 ST if cast on another. If the target creature is unwilling, they must succeed on a 5-die saving roll vs IQ.

Casting ‘enlarge’ on a living being has the following effects…
  • Increase to a 2-hex creature and doubles in height and weight (6ft tall becomes 12ft)
  • Doubles the creature’s effective ST for physical strength-based uses such as weight carried, HTH damage, size of weapon they can use, etc. This boost to ST does not add to the hits that the creature can take or grant additional fatigue for spells.
  • Decrease in mobility and physical dexterity (-2 DX), but greater stride adds 4 to MA

Casting ‘reduce’ on a living being has the following effects…
  • Decrease to a half-hex creature and shrink in height and weight (6ft tall becomes 3ft)
  • Halves the creature’s effective ST for physical strength-based uses such as weight carried, HTH damage, size of weapon they can use, etc. This change does not decrease the hits that the creature can take or deduct from fatigue for spells.
  • Increase in mobility and physical dexterity (+2 DX), but reduced stride subtracts 4 from MA

Any non-magical equipment worn by the recipient will also double in size for the duration of the spell, but worn magical items that are based on the creature’s size (armor, rings, boots, etc.) will cause the spell to fail unless removed beforehand.
Old 02-07-2019, 10:50 PM   #28
zot

Quote:
Originally Posted by TippetsTX View Post
Looking for feedback on this one... not super confident on cost, duration, IQ level, etc.

IQ 14 - Enlarge/Reduce (T)

This spell will temporarily alter the size of any being or non-magical object no more than one hex in size. The ‘enlarge’ aspect of the spell doubles the target’s size and weight while ‘reduce’ will decrease the target’s size and weight by half.
Oh, enlarge / shrink is definitely one of my favorite low-level D&D spells! You can use it to break all sorts of physical items. It's great to cast on locks, doors, things wedged into other things, etc. Rips the hinges right off...
zot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2019, 12:26 AM   #29
JLV

Actually, if we're going to play around with D&D spells, one that I always really liked was Magic Mouth. However, rather than post the information here, I'll just refer you to C.R. Brandon's Heroes and Other Worlds supplement, Magi Carta, in which he converts most of the old classic D&D spells to TFT style magic. You all will find most of your old favorites here, even if some of them don't make a heck of a lot of sense in a TFT-ish world.

Here's the link for the PDF: http://www.lulu.com/shop/cr-brandon/...-21752733.html

And here's the link for the paperback version: http://www.lulu.com/shop/cr-brandon/...-21016300.html

Why do all that work if it's already been done for you? I think he's got something like 600 spells listed in there!
JLV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2019, 05:00 AM   #30
TippetsTX

Quote:
Originally Posted by zot View Post
Oh, enlarge / shrink is definitely one of my favorite low-level D&D spells! You can use it to break all sorts of physical items. It's great to cast on locks, doors, things wedged into other things, etc. Rips the hinges right off...
Yes, but while the basic concept is the same, I actually tried to design this w/o referring to the D&D version. I wanted to make a purely TFT spell, but I'm concerned I made it too powerful in its effect on living creatures.

On the other hand, there is a presumption in my version that would prevent increasing the size of an object where that growth might be restricted by surrounding elements. Basically, the object needs to be free-standing. For example, you cannot 'enlarge' a door because the doorframe prevents it. Is that too limiting, though?

Last edited by TippetsTX; 02-08-2019 at 10:39 AM.
TippetsTX is online now   Reply With Quote