Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > The Fantasy Trip > The Fantasy Trip: House Rules

Old 12-25-2018, 11:26 PM   #11
JohnPaulB

Default Re: Show me the magic!

[QUOTE=TippetsTX;2230405]IQ 12 - Alter Memory (T)

I would allow some mechanism for the Altered Memory to decay.

Lots of stories involving Hypnotized heroes starting to doubt a particular memory or seeing flashes of the real memory seeping through.

This would not be an immediate decay, but something days or weeks away.

Also, would Detect Magic on the character note something was off?

Fantasy Chess: A chess game with combat.
Don't just take the square, Fight for it!
https://www.shadowhex.com
JohnPaulB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2018, 09:19 AM   #12
TippetsTX

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnPaulB View Post
I would allow some mechanism for the Altered Memory to decay.

Lots of stories involving Hypnotized heroes starting to doubt a particular memory or seeing flashes of the real memory seeping through.

This would not be an immediate decay, but something days or weeks away.

Also, would Detect Magic on the character note something was off?
My impression is that the spell would generally be used to accomplish something immediate or in the near future, so having the false memory fade over time seems reasonable to me.

As written, I would agree that the presence of the spell could be revealed by Detect Magic, but since it can't identify the specific spell, I'm not sure it would be useful to do so. That raises another question for me though... should higher IQ spells or those cast by high IQ wizards be harder to detect (or at least come off as fainter or more subtle) requiring a 4 or 5 die roll?
Old 12-26-2018, 09:40 AM   #13
hcobb

Quote:
Originally Posted by TippetsTX View Post
... should higher IQ spells or those cast by high IQ wizards be harder to detect (or at least come off as fainter or more subtle) requiring a 4 or 5 die roll?
Make Reveal a contest of DX against the Conceal casting?
Old 12-26-2018, 02:50 PM   #14
TippetsTX

Quote:
Originally Posted by hcobb View Post
Make Reveal a contest of DX against the Conceal casting?
Maybe. I just think that there should be some way to reflect caster skill when it comes to non-combat spells... rules that make certain spells harder to detect or remove when cast by a wizard whose IQ significantly exceeds that of the spell or the opposing caster.

Last edited by TippetsTX; 12-26-2018 at 03:47 PM.
TippetsTX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2018, 03:35 PM   #15
hcobb

As written Conceal is a lost cause.
Old 12-26-2018, 08:02 PM   #16
JohnPaulB

Quote:
Originally Posted by TippetsTX View Post
IQ 12 - Alter Memory (T)
Converted from Arcana Evolved

An unwilling target of the spell gets a saving roll against his IQ on 3 dice. If the target fails the save, you proceed with the spell by spending up to five turns (one turn for each minute of memory that you want to modify) visualizing the memory you wish to modify in the target. If anything disturbs your concentration before the visualization is complete the spell is lost.

A modified memory does not necessarily affect the target’s actions, particularly if it contradicts their natural inclinations. The target may dismiss an illogical modified memory as a bad dream or a memory muddied by too much wine. More useful applications of modify memory include implanting memories of friendly encounters with you (inclining the target to act favorably toward you), changing the details of a superior’s orders to the target, or causing the target to forget they ever saw you or your party.
There doesn't seem to be enough risk for doing this spell.
If the caster fails the spell, nothing happens?

How about: If the caster rolls over his Adj DX, the spell fails and nothing happens.
If he rolls 17, then whatever the caster was visualizing for his victim, now occurs to the caster. [if the caster wanted the victim to imagine that they were friends, then the caster now "knows" that he is friends with the victim. Or that the caster never saw the victim.]
If he rolls 18, then the caster is susceptible to anything the victim suggests.

If the target (victim) makes its savings roll, then the victim knows someone is trying to mess with his mind. If he crit succeeds, then he knows who it is, too.

Fantasy Chess: A chess game with combat.
Don't just take the square, Fight for it!
https://www.shadowhex.com
JohnPaulB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2018, 08:18 PM   #17
TippetsTX

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnPaulB View Post
There doesn't seem to be enough risk for doing this spell.
If the caster fails the spell, nothing happens?
Well, I assume that messing with someone's head like that is illegal in most civilized areas. Plus, if you fail, I'm pretty sure the guy you were targeting will want to have some aggressive words with you.
Old 12-26-2018, 08:24 PM   #18
hcobb

Rewrite: It costs two fatigue to cast Reveal or Conceal and a given object can have zero to five levels of conceal on it. Each current level of Conceal adds one die to the roll for Reveal or Conceal. The GM rolls for you and if he fails your roll then if the number rolled was odd he removes one level of Conceal (down to zero) and the number rolled was even he adds one level of Conceal (up to five).

Last edited by hcobb; 12-26-2018 at 08:30 PM.
hcobb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2018, 12:34 PM   #19
hcobb

IQ 9: Weaken(T) If this spell hits then roll 1d-2 for each point of ST (1 to 3) put into this spell. The target loses that much ST (including for striking with weapons, etc.) as magical fatigue. Ignore any points that would drive ST below zero. This fatigue can be countered point by point with an Aid ST spell, or recovered by rest or from Powerstone or Staff mana, healing potions, etc.
Old 12-29-2018, 02:14 PM   #20
Scintillant

Given the chatter on the heal spell thread this one should be controversial.
IQ 11, Stabilize Wounds (T): Staves off death in a target with ST no lower than -5. Cost: 2 ST, plus 1 each hour it is maintained.

Maybe this one less so.
IQ 13, Capture Scene (S): The caster holds a parchment, paper, or piece of cloth (a blank scroll is ideal) while casting this spell to capture what she sees as a line drawing in black ink. A magnifying glass is needed to reveal the astonishing detail. It is not dependent on the caster’s eyesight, but spells in effect at the time (e.g. Close Vision, Mage Sight) do affect what it shows. Cost: 3 ST
Scintillant is offline   Reply With Quote