Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > The Fantasy Trip > The Fantasy Trip: House Rules

Old 12-19-2018, 04:47 PM   #1
TippetsTX

Default Show me the magic!

Thought i would start a thread where we can share our homebrew spells as well as those converted from other systems.

I'll start us off...

IQ 8 - Trapsense (S)
This spell heightens your awareness of certain dangers within 3 MH of the caster. The wizard is more likely to detect simple pits, deadfalls, and snares as well as mechanical traps constructed of natural materials. The spell does not detect complex traps (including trapdoor traps), but it does detect certain natural hazards such as quicksand (a snare), a sinkhole (a pit), or unsafe walls of natural rock (a deadfall). It does not reveal other potentially dangerous conditions.

The spell does not detect magic traps (except those that operate by pit, deadfall, or snaring), nor mechanically complex ones, nor those that have been rendered safe or inactive.

The amount of information revealed depends on how long you study a particular area.
1st Turn: Presence or absence of hazards.
2nd Turn: Number of hazards and the location of each. If a hazard is outside your line of sight, then you discern its direction but not its exact location.
3rd and subsequent Turns: The general type and trigger for one particular hazard that you closely examine.

Each round, you can turn to detect snares and pits in a new area. The spell can penetrate barriers, but 1 foot of stone, 1 inch of iron or lead, or 3 feet of wood or dirt will block it.

Cost: 1 ST per turn

Converted from Arcana Evolved - Spell Treasury

Last edited by TippetsTX; 12-19-2018 at 08:40 PM.
TippetsTX is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2018, 07:40 PM   #2
TippetsTX

Default Re: Show me the magic!

IQ 9 - Quick Stride (T)
The recipient of this spell adds 2 to their MA for 3 turns. This boost applies regardless of the type of armor worn.

Cost: 1 ST

IQ 12 - Elven Stride (T)
For the next hour this spell allows the recipient to move thru difficult terrain without a reduction to their MA. In addition, they move without leaving any trace (or leaving very minimal traces) making them much harder to track. A tracker would need to succeed on a 5-die IQ roll in order to find their path.

Cost: 5 ST

Source: Me

Last edited by TippetsTX; 12-19-2018 at 08:36 PM.
Old 12-20-2018, 09:01 AM   #3
warhorse11h

IQ 10 Ironwood (T) With this spell, a caster can make a piece of wood, up to staff size as hard as iron. The spell can be cast at differing ST levels and differing duration. ST 1=1 hour, ST 2=1 day, ST 3=1 month, ST 4=1 year, ST 5=permanently.

IQ 9 Glassteel (T) With this spell, a caster can make a piece of glass, up to 1 cubic foot in size, as hard as steel. It becomes extremely hard to break. The spell can be cast at differing ST levels and differing duration. ST 1=1 hour, ST 2=1 day, ST 3=1 month, ST 4=1 year, ST 5=permanently.
warhorse11h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2018, 01:49 PM   #4
RobW

IQ 15. Pocket Universe (S). The Wizard has access to a personal portal through which hand-size objects can be passed back and forth. So with a snap of her fingers, she can instantly summon a coin from the pocket universe, or vice versa, make a card vanish. The size of the pocket universe is a small handbag. If the wizard dies, all items remain in the pocket universe, but there is no known way to retrieve them. To create the pocket universe costs 50 ST. To summon or stow an item costs 1 ST.
RobW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2018, 02:28 AM   #5
hcobb

Magic Carpetbag, a favorite tool of the Magic Carpetbaggers. Start with a $200 bag or backpack and then follow the 2-hex Magic Carpet enchantment, but for only one week. The container then ignores the first fifty pounds of weight contained entirely within it. Enchantment cost is only $2,000.

Web: Same as Wall spell, but each level is 1 IQ higher and costs 2 more fatigue than the same hexes of Wall. Requires something to hang down from, but you can stack double hexes (from the same or multiple castings) to reach down from a 20 foot ceiling, triple for 30 foot and so on. Has the same effect as a Giant Spider web(page 95). Like Wall this can't be cast into a hex that has anything more than Shadow in it. Lasts 12 turns unless set on fire in which case it acts like both a Web and a Fire hex for three turns, setting adjacent Web hexes on fire at a rate of one hex radius per turn.

Last edited by hcobb; 12-22-2018 at 01:47 PM.
hcobb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2018, 04:48 PM   #6
TippetsTX

IQ 12 - Alter Memory (T)
Converted from Arcana Evolved

You reach into the target’s mind and modify up to five minutes of their memory in one of the following ways:
  1. Eliminate all memory of an event the target actually experienced (this spell cannot negate other spells that affect the subject’s mind, however).
  2. Allow the target to recall with perfect clarity an event they actually experienced.
  3. Change the details of an event the target actually experienced.
  4. Implant a memory of an event the target never experienced.

An unwilling target of the spell gets a saving roll against his IQ on 3 dice. If the target fails the save, you proceed with the spell by spending up to five turns (one turn for each minute of memory that you want to modify) visualizing the memory you wish to modify in the target. If anything disturbs your concentration before the visualization is complete the spell is lost.

A modified memory does not necessarily affect the target’s actions, particularly if it contradicts their natural inclinations. The target may dismiss an illogical modified memory as a bad dream or a memory muddied by too much wine. More useful applications of modify memory include implanting memories of friendly encounters with you (inclining the target to act favorably toward you), changing the details of a superior’s orders to the target, or causing the target to forget they ever saw you or your party.

Note: The GM reserves the right to decide whether a modified memory seems too nonsensical to affect the target significantly.

Cost: 1 ST per turn (i.e. per minute of memory altered)
Old 12-22-2018, 05:32 PM   #7
hcobb

Quote:
Originally Posted by TippetsTX View Post
IQ 12 - Alter Memory (T)
Why is this so much cheaper than the Telepathy spell that does the same thing?
Old 12-22-2018, 05:40 PM   #8
TippetsTX

Quote:
Originally Posted by hcobb View Post
Why is this so much cheaper than the Telepathy spell that does the same thing?
Because it doesn't allow you to read the target’s mind. The caster must know beforehand what memory they want to alter. Also, there's nothing in the text of Telepathy that makes me think you can change someone's memory with it (I don't interpret the phrase "give information" the same way you do, I guess).
Old 12-22-2018, 08:12 PM   #9
TippetsTX

IQ 10 - Slow Fall (T)
Converted from Arcana Evolved

The creatures or objects affected by this spell suffer no damage as long as they fall from a height of 50 ft or less. A target that falls into sharp objects, like spikes, suffers only half damage from them. This spell does not protect a target from damage sustained by falling into a hazardous substance, like lava or acid.

The wizard may attempt to cast Slow Fall quickly enough to save someone who unexpectedly falls by succeeding on a 4-die adjDX roll.

If you cast Slow Fall on a falling item, the item deals half normal damage based on weight, with no bonus for the drop’s height. The spell will only work on free-falling objects, however. It doesn’t affect a sword blow or a charging or flying creature.

Cost: 2 ST
Old 12-23-2018, 04:49 PM   #10
TippetsTX

IQ 13 - Comprehend Languages (S)
Converted from Arcana Evolved - Spell Treasury

When cast on themselves, the wizard will understand the spoken words of any intelligent creature or be able to read otherwise incomprehensible written messages. They must be touching the speaker or the writing for the spell to function.

Note that the ability to read does not necessarily impart insight into the material, merely its literal meaning. Also, the spell only enables you to understand or read an unknown language, not speak or write it.

You can read written material at the rate of one page (250 words) per minute, even if you are otherwise illiterate. Magical writing cannot be read by this spell and it does not decipher codes or reveal messages concealed in otherwise normal text.

Cost: 2 ST per minute

Last edited by TippetsTX; 12-23-2018 at 09:59 PM.