Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > The Fantasy Trip > The Fantasy Trip: House Rules

Old 02-17-2019, 03:46 PM   #31
TippetsTX

Default Re: Show me the magic!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLV View Post
Why do all that work if it's already been done for you? I think he's got something like 600 spells listed in there!
I finally got around to picking this up. Good stuff, but I was unable to compare the Magi Carta version of 'Enlarge Person' with mine because it seems to be missing. It is mentioned in the text of the 'Reduce Person' spell, but it doesn't appear anywhere else in the book.
Old 02-17-2019, 10:07 PM   #32
JLV

Hmm. I missed that (and so did he, apparently -- though if you look through things you'll find a couple of other editing/paste-up errors scattered around too). You could write him and ask him for the spell (if you're so inclined) and he'll probably post it on his blog if you do so!
JLV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2019, 09:48 AM   #33
TippetsTX

Quote:
Hmm. I missed that (and so did he, apparently -- though if you look through things you'll find a couple of other editing/paste-up errors scattered around too). You could write him and ask him for the spell (if you're so inclined) and he'll probably post it on his blog if you do so!
I may do that, thanks. In the meantime, feedback on my version of 'Enlarge/Reduce' for TFT would be appreciated.
Old 02-18-2019, 11:55 PM   #34
JLV

Well, without actually playtesting it; my initial thoughts are that I like it; the effects don't seem to be too overpowering and you've carefully restricted the applications of both the Spell and its consequences. The only question I might have is that the spell costs seem a bit high. I'm wondering if maybe 3 ST for an inanimate object and perhaps 7 ST for a living one might be more in keeping with the effects/durations, and also make the Spell more likely to be used by the players -- but, as I said, my basis of comparison on the cost is more a gut feeling than any statistically valid analysis! ;-)

Oh, BTW, I posted the question on the Spell over on the HoW blog and we'll see if C.R. responds and with what. (I also asked, if he intentionally left it out of Magi Carta, if he could explain his rationale a bit, since I think that answer might be interesting as well...)
Old 02-20-2019, 12:26 AM   #35
JLV

Update to say that I still haven't seen a response over on C.R.'s blog -- but it's only been a few days and I know he stated elsewhere that work was picking back up again, so it may take a while...
Old 02-20-2019, 08:20 AM   #36
TippetsTX

Got another one...

IQ 13 - Displacement (T)

This defensive spell works much like ‘Blur’, but is more advanced. The target is surrounded in a magical displacement field which serves to obfuscate his true location. The effect is that any attack directed against the recipient of the spell will need to succeed on 5 dice vs DX instead of 3.

Cost: 2 ST to cast, plus 1 ST for each subsequent turn it is maintained
Old 02-20-2019, 08:09 PM   #37
warhorse11h

IQ 14 Phase (T) Cast on the wizard or another, the subject of this spell begins to blink into and out of phase. He is seen as a dim outline only when he is out of phase. Physical attacks against him, by any means, are made more difficult. The "to hit" roll is made normally, on 3D6, if the attack hits, roll 2D6. If the die roll is 2-5, normal damage, 6-8 half damage, 9-12 no damage. Armor and shields do protect. This also applies to the subject's attacks, he is not in control of his blinks. Spell use by the subject is normal. Thrown spells are still effective against him, but physical effects of spells use a 2D6 roll to see if they effect him. (ie, he runs through a fire hex. 2D6 roll, 2-5 2 hits, 6-8 1 hit, 9-12 no damage.) ST cost to cast is 3 plus 1 per turn to maintain.
warhorse11h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2019, 10:41 PM   #38
JLV

Quote:
Update to say that I still haven't seen a response over on C.R.'s blog -- but it's only been a few days and I know he stated elsewhere that work was picking back up again, so it may take a while...
Got a response! Below is what he posted on his blog in answer to my question:

"AS to Enlarge person--it is an editing mistake with its inclusion in the Reduce person spell. Why?

1) I did not want the wizard spells to be the solve all for challenges
2) I did not what the heroic fantasy of HOW to be super charged with a super big hero--why fear giants or dragons when with a quick wizard spell I can be just as big!
3) By keeping reduce person it allows for some creative "problem solving" by the party--maybe fighting isn't always the answer!

There is a Growth Potion available in Terrors & Treasures so the effect is in game--but only as a potion! So that keeps t he magic magical IMHO and allows for the same in game effect but in a much more limited and special usage manner."

His reasoning actually makes a lot of sense to me here. So I think I'll just let it rest there... ;-)
Old 02-27-2019, 07:40 PM   #39
TippetsTX

Quote:
His reasoning actually makes a lot of sense to me here. So I think I'll just let it rest there... ;-)
Maybe, although he does include a shrinking potion as well as the Reduce Person spell.

Regardless, I think my version of 'Enlarge' should work pretty well. The cost/benefit seems balanced for TFT (though I will consider adjusting the ST requirement as suggested).
Old 02-27-2019, 08:24 PM   #40
TippetsTX

IQ 14 - Phasewall (T)

With this spell the wizard may target a section of a wall or other inanimate obstruction and create a limited ‘insubstantiality’ field allowing them to pass thru the barrier. The effect only lasts for one minute so the wizard needs to be sure he isn’t still inside the wall when the spell wears off. The spell will only work on solid matter and cannot be used on anything organic.

Cost: 3 ST for each hex of matter to be rendered ‘out of phase’.

Last edited by TippetsTX; 02-28-2019 at 07:41 AM.
TippetsTX is online now   Reply With Quote