Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > Roleplaying in General

Old 11-22-2011, 11:24 AM   #1
RogerBW

Default RogerBW's latest prospectus

I've just sent this out to the players, so I might as well share it here. I'm not going to run a formal vote on this with the actual players, particularly since several of the ideas are quite fuzzy, but if people here want to express preferences I suggest using whswhs' system: total 18 points, 0 means "I would stay at home rather than play this". In all cases the system would be GURPS 4th edition.

I'm borrowing tags from GURPS Horror. Scale is the size of goals and ambitions; scope is the size of the stuff you're actually doing. Austerity/lenience is the degree of accountability to which you're likely to be held.

Age of Aquarius - it's the summer of 1967, and you've taken something you really shouldn't have... new psis try to keep the UK, or at least themselves, safe from a variety of dangers. (Psionic Powers series, TL7, fairly gritty, potentially large scale, medium scope, moderately austere, localised)

Debugging - return to the Reign of Steel campaign previously played with this group. I see the next phase of this as being largely domestic at first, involving the rebuilding of the UK as a power-driven civilisation, but with some ventures into inter-zone politics. (TL8-10, cinematic, large scale, medium to large scope, lenient, localised to
globetrotting)

Dark Conspiracy - carrying on more or less from where a previous game left off, but under GURPS4 rules. I would expect this phase of the campaign to deal about equally with exploring proto-dimensions (alternative universes, like the industrial junkheap world) and the investigation and monster-hunting that was happening before. Proto-dimensions tend to be small "single theme" worlds rather than alternative histories, so I don't see a clash with Infinite Cabal. (Variant psi, TL7-9, cinematic, large scale, medium scope, moderately austere, interplanar)

Pirates of the Ring Islands - a Banestorm campaign nominally based in Araterre but spending most of its time at sea. Players are crew/owners of a semi-licit pirate ship (i.e. making sure you only prey on the right people); adventures, apart from the obvious taking loot from undefended ships, would cover a certain amount of land-based monster-bashing. The characters in Age of Sail Pirate Crew might make for good inspiration. (Banestorm, TL4ish, cinematic, medium scale, small scope, lenient, moderately localised)

Crimson Skies 1957 - I've got only the barest outline of this, but broadly it involves rolling the world forward twenty years and having an entirely different set of weird aircraft. The UK and Germany use North America as a safe place to fight by proxy. Will need quite a bit of discussion as to the detailed shape of the campaign. (TL5+2, cinematic, medium scale, large scope, lenient, globetrotting)

Vampire: the Resistance - you've been made into an angsty World of Darkness vampire. And they expect you to _like_ it. But vampire society suffers from politics... PCs are fresh vampires who are working to undermine their new society from the inside; time is split between working for the vampire superiors and setting up those superiors to kill each other. Will be largely based on White Wolf's material. (Powers, TL8, cinematic, large scale, large scope, moderately austere, globetrotting)

I Truffatori - PCs are a gang of (fairly) ethical con-men in 1400s Florence, taking down rich people who deserve it; for TV and filmic inspirations, think of "The Sting", "Leverage" or "Hustle", with a much bigger costume budget and a loose attitude towards the invention dates of classic scams. Details of plots must be largely player-driven (players will need to be familiar with con techniques; I can lend the canonical book on the subject). Could obviously work in many other settings too, such as modern London or the 1920s. Not sure whether it has legs for a long-term campaign - might be better as a fill-in game for when some players can't make it. (Social Engineering, Renaissance Florence, talky, TL4/6/8, gritty, small scale, large scope, austere, localised)

Places of Mystery - Another fairly fuzzy idea, but broadly speaking I envisage a version of the "Pursuit of Power" campaign idea from the book - it'll essentially be a competitive collection of plot coupons from Special Places (e.g. Stonehenge, the Pyramids, Nazca, etc.). In order to keep travel reasonably challenging, it'll probably be Victorian at the latest. (PoM, TL up to 5, possible weird powers later on, mildly cinematic, large scale, large scope, low austerity, globetrotting)

Torg - In the mid 1990s, Earth is invaded by a variety of alien realms which carry with them their own rules of reality. The players assume the role of "Storm Knights", people from Earth and the various invading realms, who possess limited reality-altering abilities, and who oppose the plans of the invading High Lords. Will be largely based on West End Games' material (with some variant rules to replicate the more interesting of the original game's quirks). Could be combined quite effectively with Places of Mystery... (TL all over the place, a variety of sorts of strange power, very cinematic, large scale and scope, lenient, interplanar in seven worlds including Earth)
RogerBW is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2011, 11:36 AM   #2
whswhs

Default Re: RogerBW's latest prospectus

I'm sorry to say that that particular list looks to me like straight 1s across the board; that is, there's nothing in it that I would flatly be unwilling to play, but everything in it is marginal as far as my tastes are concerned.

Bill Stoddard
whswhs is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2011, 12:10 PM   #3
Not another shrubbery

Default Re: RogerBW's latest prospectus

Heh... this game is addictive :)

Age of Aquarius - 4: 60s Psionic Powers... groovy.
Debugging - 1
Dark Conspiracy - 4: I can get behind planar exploration.
Pirates of the Ring Islands - 5: Araterre is my favorite part of Ytarria :)
Crimson Skies 1957 - 1
Vampire: The Resistance - 0
I Truffatori - 0
Places of Mystery - 2: I like the sound of it.
Torg - 1: I kind of like the idea of invading realities, but most of the specifics of the setting left me unimpressed.
Not another shrubbery is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
prospectus