Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 07-27-2021, 10:13 AM   #21
Anthony

Default Re: Spaceships: How to take off?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emerikol View Post
Anyway, I know it is super science at this point in our history but solving the unified theory problem is not something completely unthinkable.

As soon as you solve that problem, one type of force can be turned into another type of force.
Understanding how something works may just cause you to realize that what you want to do is impossible.
Old 07-27-2021, 10:49 AM   #22
Ulzgoroth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony View Post
The fusion torch has a power output of bit over 2 gigawatts per ton of thrust. Even if the radiation isn't a problem, they're going blast giant craters every time they take off.
Any reason the launch from water trick used with some frequency in fiction wouldn't cover that?
Old 07-27-2021, 11:43 AM   #23
Anthony

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulzgoroth View Post
Any reason the launch from water trick used with some frequency in fiction wouldn't cover that?
Just produces an obnoxious safe distance. A 100 ton ship with 200 tons of thrust is producing 400 GW, which is brighter and hotter than the sun at a distance of ten kilometers (and being nearly a point source, will probably cause vision damage at hundreds to thousands).
Old 07-27-2021, 12:11 PM   #24
Fred Brackin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulzgoroth View Post
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sound_suppression_system

Used in more than fiction.
Old 07-27-2021, 12:14 PM   #25
Fred Brackin

Quote:
Understanding how something works may just cause you to realize that what you want to do is impossible.
Uh huh. This is the place where you discover how crappy the performance of reactionless thrusters that don't violate Conservation of Energy is.

It potentially could be better than any other hard science system but not by as much as you might hope.
Old 07-27-2021, 12:24 PM   #26
Rupert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agemegos View Post
The price of antimatter in Spaceships looks as though it is based on Robert L. Forward's estimate¹ of the cost of producing antimatter at TL8 combined with GURPS' posit that things' prices don't change with TL. I have tried alternatives, such as Georges Dupont-Roc's generalisation that energy technologies' real prices per joule diminish by an order of magnitude or a little bit more from their commercial introduction to their maturity. But it doesn't help very much. You need a superscience or at least limited-superscience way of making antimatter to have affordable AM-powered rocket operations.
There is a note that says:
Quote:
In superscience settings where total conversion power or cosmic energy technology exists, cost of any type of antimatter reaction mass may be as little as $6,000/ton.
I've always taken that as "set the price where it works for you, but you might want to consider what that implies for your setting".

"A pessimist is an optimist with a sense of history."

Last edited by Rupert; 07-27-2021 at 12:28 PM.
Rupert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2021, 12:52 PM   #27
Emerikol

Quote:
That is true. We don't know what we don't know. If I could authoritatively answer on the subject then I'd know the answer and probably be rich if it works.

Still, it's not out of this world far fetched. As a basis for a science fiction campaign, I can think of other things (e.g. FTL, inertial dampers, etc..) that are far far more far fetched.
Emerikol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2021, 12:54 PM   #28
Fred Brackin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rupert View Post
I've always taken that as "set the price where it works for you, but you might want to consider what that implies for your setting".
You mean things like "A metric ton of antimatter will explode for 43 gigatons."?
Old 07-28-2021, 12:38 AM   #29
Agemegos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rupert View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Agemegos
You need a superscience or at least limited-superscience way of making antimatter to have affordable AM-powered rocket operations.
Quote:
In superscience settings where total conversion power or cosmic energy technology exists, cost of any type of antimatter reaction mass may be as little as $6,000/ton.
Quite.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred Brackin View Post
You mean things like "A metric ton of antimatter will explode for 43 gigatons."?
Yeah. According to Jon's Law any reaction drive that has enough performance to be fun is a weapon of mass destruction. But antimatter drives have it worse than any alternative. Highest possible specific impulse means highest possible exhaust velocity means highest possible power-to-thrust ratio.

Decay is inherent in all composite things.
Nod head. Get treat.

Last edited by Agemegos; 07-28-2021 at 12:43 AM.
Agemegos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2021, 11:11 AM   #30
the-red-scare

Quote:
Just produces an obnoxious safe distance. A 100 ton ship with 200 tons of thrust is producing 400 GW, which is brighter and hotter than the sun at a distance of ten kilometers (and being nearly a point source, will probably cause vision damage at hundreds to thousands).
Unless I’m mistaken, the space shuttle and Saturn V were in the 40-60 GW range. Any idea where the line is between “needs a dedicated launch pad and some distance” and “slag the desert into glass?”
the-red-scare is offline   Reply With Quote