Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 05-22-2021, 04:17 AM   #11
Anders

Default Re: GURPS Dungeon Fantasy Monsters 5: Demons

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kromm View Post
Nothing in this work was built on points
There's a problem with that - spells like Summon Demon and Banish take their cost from how many points the monster is.
Old 05-22-2021, 04:51 AM   #12
Taneli

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anders View Post
There's a problem with that - spells like Summon Demon and Banish take their cost from how many points the monster is.
Indeed, though it is quite simple to adjust it to ranges of power or something.

Like, it costs 10 energy to summon a petty demon, 20 for a standard one, and up from there. But then you need to have your demons arranged into a hierarchy of some sort.
Taneli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2021, 08:44 AM   #13
Sam Baughn

Location: United Kingdom of Great Britain and some other bits.

I bought this supplement not for use in a DF game (I have no intention of running one) but because I though it could be useful for other fantasy and horror games, especially ones where PCs have access to the Summon Demon spell and for magical critical-failures.
Overall, it should be fairly good for that purpose, although probably more so for fantasy than horror. The advice and checklists of traits are generally useful for designing monsters in a hurry.
I do wish that it concentrated rather more on providing ready-to-go monsters and less on providing a toolkit. GURPS is already a toolkit and I don't think I get that much benefit from more-detailed instructions on how to use it for specific needs unless it involves very complex 'builds'. On the other hand, if it had twenty specific demons, I feel that would have comfortably given me all the demons I could want. On the gripping hand, as the Censu Daemoniorum makes clear, there are already dozens of demons written up just in the Dungeon Fantasy line.
Old 05-22-2021, 12:50 PM   #14
ravenfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Baughn View Post
On the gripping hand, as the Censu Daemoniorum makes clear, there are already dozens of demons written up just in the Dungeon Fantasy line.
Would there be any market for a Dungeon Fantasy Monsters 5 1/2: Appendix consisting of all the Dungeon Fantasy and Dungeon-Fantasy-Adjacent demons put together in one place?
Old 05-22-2021, 02:59 PM   #15
Pomphis

Quote:
Originally Posted by ravenfish View Post
Would there be any market for a Dungeon Fantasy Monsters 5 1/2: Appendix consisting of all the Dungeon Fantasy and Dungeon-Fantasy-Adjacent demons put together in one place?
I would buy it
Pomphis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2021, 03:58 PM   #16
The Colonel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baldo View Post
Premise: my Latin is *VERY* rusty, but still not sure about the title of Chapter Three. Does it mean "From the Census (Survey) of Demons" (EX Censu Daemoniorum, it lacks a 'EX'), or "Census of Demons" (CENSUS Daemoniorum, it dropped a 'S')?

EDIT:

Just remembered the preposition 'De' ('About') is very common in titles, therefore "DE Censu Daemoniorum" is correct too.
...bad Latin is entirely authentic, historically speaking. Wouldn't be the first grimoire to have a name that isn't actually what its author intended either...

Also, does anyone else think it would good to have a sort of bestiary of spirits for campaigns where they are a thing?
The Colonel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2021, 05:30 PM   #17
Hyrneson

Kromm, with the release of 'Demons' is it possible that 'Elder Things' might be a release we'll also see some time?
I mean, you know how adventurers all love a good cephalopod. :)
Old 05-23-2021, 08:41 PM   #18
dcarson

So how suitable is this for a Monster Hunters campaign?
dcarson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2021, 08:57 PM   #19
LoneWolf23k

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcarson View Post
Well, I assume you'd need to adjust some defenses and skills to account for modern technology, but otherwise I think the demon designing system still works.
LoneWolf23k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2021, 10:13 PM   #20
Christopher R. Rice

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcarson View Post
That's a good question. My answer? Pretty suitable. Like I said earlier I'm going to use this for my urban fantasy setting pretty much as is because it's straight up advice and ideas - all easy to port over to other places.

Latest GURPS Book: Dungeon Fantasy Denizens: Thieves
Latest TFT Book: The Sunken Library

Become a Patron!
Christopher R. Rice is offline   Reply With Quote