Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 03-05-2021, 02:08 PM   #21
Celjabba

Default Re: [Basic] Advantage of the Week: Invisibility

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Johnston2 View Post
How do you see? Does Defensive make that possible?
Quote:
Defensive: You are unaffected by your own Obscure ability.
You can see (and receive radio call, and be hurt by a laser weapon, ...).

For a mind-based effect, it is easy to explain. For superscience / magic / ... don't ask.

The problem is the same with invisibility, of course.
Celjabba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2021, 02:15 PM   #22
David Johnston2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celjabba View Post
You can see (and receive radio call, and be hurt by a laser weapon, ...).

For a mind-based effect, it is easy to explain. For superscience / magic / ... don't ask.

The problem is the same with invisibility, of course.
Well, no. I was asking about game mechanics, not physics.
David Johnston2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2021, 02:24 PM   #23
Plane

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Johnston2 View Post
How do you see? Does Defensive make that possible?
yup "unaffected by your own Obscure"

probably good to take Selectivity in case you actually do want to be affected by it, like using Obscure to protect yourself from the Sight-based Petrification of a Gorgon.

Though that's very all-or-nothing (turning defensive off) so Selective Effect is probably better because then you could probably say stuff like "I don't want to see the Gorgon's eyes but I do want to see the gorgon's body" so you can still fight them with some competence.
Plane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2021, 06:43 PM   #24
Daigoro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plane View Post
Although conceptually I'm not sure how that works... if a crowd can perceive the entire rest of the crowd EXCEPT you then it's hard to think they would be unable to perceive a gap in the crowd...

I think to get that you'd need some middle ground like "crowd only perceives directly adjacent crowd members to avoid collisions, but doesn't perceive the ENTIRE crowd so they can't notice where there's gaps".
This would come back to using the game mechanics to model an in-universe ability, and to define the physics of the ability first.

If it's a psychic illusion, people in the crowd wouldn't notice the hole. If it's optic channeling, then someone on the other side of the effect might appear to be next to you.
And heaps of forum collabs, 30+ and counting!
Daigoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2021, 06:55 PM   #25
Plane

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daigoro View Post
This would come back to using the game mechanics to model an in-universe ability, and to define the physics of the ability first.

If it's a psychic illusion, people in the crowd wouldn't notice the hole. If it's optic channeling, then someone on the other side of the effect might appear to be next to you.
But in that case, you're putting something there other than yourself for them to avoid, not just removing their perception of you.
Old 03-06-2021, 05:37 AM   #26
johndallman
Night Watchman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plane View Post
One neat contrast with Invisibility vs Stealthy Obscure would be the 'walking through a crowd' idea.

With invisibility, you won't see the walker but you'll see the crowd gaps.

With Obscure, you won't notice that 2y radius even has a gap...

But then one unavoidable aspect is the crowd itself is going to start bumping into each other (they won't perceive each other, or even themselves)
Invisibility is a really bad idea in a tight-packed crowd. People realise they're bumping into something they can't see, and they get worried by that rapidly.

The best way IMHO to pass through a crowd without being noticed is to seem like an uninteresting member of the crowd. You might be able to build that with Obscure, but it's different from the build for getting somewhere unnoticed.
johndallman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2021, 08:02 AM   #27
Captain Joy

Quote:
Originally Posted by ravenfish View Post
I'd like to see an official limitation value for invisibility that fails on attacking or otherwise dramatically drawing attention to oneself a la dungeon fantasy (or, if we believe this to happen by default at no cost change in Dungeon Fantasy, an enhancement value for violence-stable invisibility, which is by no means unprecedented in the genre).
I just spent a few minutes poking around and didn’t find anything. Surely there is an official worked example of some advantage that fails under such conditions.
Captain Joy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2021, 09:50 AM   #28
johndallman
Night Watchman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Joy View Post
I just spent a few minutes poking around and didn’t find anything. Surely there is an official worked example of some advantage that fails under such conditions.
If it exists, I've failed to find it.

Thinking about it, I'd put the limitation somewhere between -25% and -50%. That's largely based on almost never having attacked from Invisibility if there was anyone other than the victim in line-of-sight, because that would make it obvious that there was someone invisible around. However the campaign is one where that secret is worth keeping, which is not the case in typical dungeon games.
johndallman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2021, 05:49 PM   #29
Plane

Quote:
Originally Posted by johndallman View Post
Invisibility is a really bad idea in a tight-packed crowd. People realise they're bumping into something they can't see, and they get worried by that rapidly.

The best way IMHO to pass through a crowd without being noticed is to seem like an uninteresting member of the crowd. You might be able to build that with Obscure, but it's different from the build for getting somewhere unnoticed.
I guess for tight crowds you'd need not just sight but also obscure:touch so people don't feel the bumping or lack of bumping.

Yet with Stealthy they don't know they're not feeling things?
Old 03-06-2021, 05:58 PM   #30
awesomenessofme1

Obscure (Touch) feels... very odd to me conceptually. Like, obviously, having it wouldn't mean people could reach through you, that would be Insubstantiality, and it's a lot more costly. So if they touch you, even if they don't feel you, it's still going to stop them and make space. I really don't understand how it makes sense.
awesomenessofme1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
advantage of the week, invisibility