Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > Play By Post

Old 01-13-2015, 02:51 AM   #71
Refplace

Default Re: Monster Hunters: Justice (OCC)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericthered View Post
Just be sneaky ....

Honestly, we're taking our time putting together characters, so if you move quickly I don't see why not.
Eric, please take a look at the latest draft.
I swapped out the Ghostly Movement power and its AA stuff for increased spell and ritual skills.
Also let me know if you have an issue with any of the spells I made up so far.
Ghostly Movement is supposed to be his shtick and will often be cast as a Blocking spell or 1 turn gathering of energy.
the Spell Ward ritual lets him put up a decent duration Ward as desired or a quick one as a Blocking action and will give the party some decent defense.
Enui he designed for certain Fae and Behold and Necrosis I think give decent offense.
after your feedback I will then prepare his standard charm list.
My List of GURPS You Tube videos (plus a few other useful items)
My GURPS Wiki entries
Refplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2015, 06:26 AM   #72
Skullcrusher

Finally completed character

https://www.dropbox.com/s/76mip6mj1t...unter.pdf?dl=0

Randal Kane - Trent Bauer
Skullcrusher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2015, 03:44 PM   #73
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

Notes on Randal Kane:

Adrednal muscle trigger is 2/level, not 3/level. This is because hp do not increase!

Patron at the equipment level you are using cost 20 points, not 15.

I need to build your patron organization. They will refer to themselves as 'the insiders', informally rather than formally (rather ironic considering they are mostly aware rather than empowered or inducted). Your most common point of contact is a wealthy executive and shareholder of a pharmaceuticals company. Ostentatiously you are part of his security team as well as being on experimental drug treatments to deal with a mysterious condition. You deal mainly with his head of security and a personal physician (both insiders).

Randal is expected to attend weekly medical checkups with Dr. Miglias and receives regular assignments from Mr. Chua.

Doctor: Nathalie Miglias is a middle aged woman with a remarkable sense of cheer. She is quite portly and not at all attractive, but makes up for it with her smile and jesting manner. She encountered the supernatural when she uncovered a mage modifying embryos in awful ways. For that offence she lost her job and had to abandon her identity for her own safety. She still has a husband and children but they don't know where she is or what her new name is. She is an excellent doctor and geneticist with an agile mind and firm hand.

Security Head: Benjamin Chua is a small Chinese man who runs the security of the pharmaceutical corporation. He does both grounds security and corporate espionage. He is an expert at what he does, even if he is slightly paranoid. He has a forceful personality and loves to start (and win) arguments. Mr. Chua has run into supernatural creatures several times, and has survived -- though more through quick thinking than physical prowess. He lives with (and supports) his parents, and is dating a girl -- mostly at their insistence.

Executive: Roman Halco is a heavy set business man with a competitive streak, a fondness for formal learning as opposed to official, a sense of entitlement, and a grudge against the supernatural. He was once the target of a demon assassination, which Mr. Chua averted. Ever since he has been funding money to fight the supernatural in general and immortals in particular (he is convinced an immortal was behind the attack, and Mr. Chua agrees). He is a ruthless businessman, and mostly single (though with constant romantic 'flings').

There are of course, others, but these are your main points of contact.

Refplace:

your character is insufficiently round. your ST and DX are BOTH 10s. Your character is weaker than average and slightly clumsy*. He is too close to being a spell caster only. You will need to raise his physical stats to an acceptable state.

Primative(TL 4) is denied. You should at least have TL 5, and possibly TL 6.

I assume you want a ruling on the code of honor and the signature look. The code of honor is -5 for standard playing, -10 for a character who intentionally stands back to let others perform, never speaks non-cryptically, and so forth.

I'm not sure if signature look is suppose to be a quirk, a perk, or a feature. Its good imagery though.

Cosmic Modular abilities-- umm.... no. At least not without limiting it quite a bit more. And I think the individual uses you want it for are things I won't allow as being too unbalanced. Ritual perk mastery would count as enhancing magic with magic, and would also be a way to get +2 to all paths for 10 points (a big no-no). Disturbingly personal information on a whim is very game breaking in a monster hunters setting and unfair to anyone who spent points on hidden lore or area knowledge. A language/culture version wouldn't be off limits though-- though it would be of fairly limited use.

Payload is fine, though you may just want to use the spell matrix walker has been working on and buy a grimoire for it.

Were is the leveled ritual mastery coming from? reference? I may just plain shoot it down, but I'll read the rule first. ditto for speed casting (though thats more likely to make it through)

Hibernate: looks good, though if you probably need a range on there to sense people with great destinies. I'll allow that particular effect to use long range modifiers though.

Cosmic dodge is a weird build. Part of me wants to do an 'add a bonus build', but I don't see how to do it. And I feel really stupid not getting this, but you'll need to walk me through the math on the advantage (PM or the thread in the GURPS forum).

Divination is too broad to be a valid ritual. You need to at least specify what kind of question it works for. (likely hood of winning battles, the weather, and general locations would be valid question types qualifying for a single ritual).

I'm not sure what hall of records does. If it as I guess creates the ability to peruse the common knowledge of mankind, you need some more modifiers (such as area). If its just to rearrange the Modular abilities, let me know. At any rate, I need a better explaination.

Ennui should be a spirit or undead effect, not a mind one (despite this, I will allow one ritual for both paths). A destroy mind effect would work only if it was cast on a mind before the emotion was consumed, and would have two durations -- one for the length of the protection, the other the length of the hunger.

Ghostly movement is fine. Fleetness of Raven is fine. Fools balance is good, but I keep on looking for perfect balance included with it (not mandatory, just a fluff thing). Shadow walk is fine. The ley line thing is good, but don't expect the ley lines to go exactly where you want them to (though from one place of power to another is a fairly safe bet). void shield is fine. Spell ward and deflect spell are good and legal, but be aware of the fine print -- using any conditional spell other than a charm voids spell ward, and it counts as a classic ward with all the acompanying rules. Behold is fine. Banish is fine. Hidden Arsenel is fine.

Paths and thuamology have some interesting design decisions. Thaumology is at 19, which is two higher than it needs to be for the cap (the talents that boost paths also boost thaumology for the purpose of capping only). Crossroads has been bought up to 23, which is unusuable as far as I can read -- the cap for it is still at 19. This isn't illegal or forbidden, just useless. Let me know if I'm misunderstanding something.

The rest of the skills look fine. Be aware research will often take TL penalties (or it may not).

Matrix Walker: Yes, I know you're there. I'm seriously considering rejected the layered armour perk. MH isn't about armour.

Ransom, Top Tom Cat:
are you still there?

*I run NPC's at average DX and IQ 10.5, and average male ST 11. You may depend on this as actual averages (as opposed to me declaring 10 is average and then having every NPC expected to fight having DX 12).

Worlds Beyond Earth -- my blog

Check out the PbP forum! If you don't see a game you'd like, ask me about making one!
ericthered is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2015, 03:46 PM   #74
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

Please note that everyone but the hermit needs to describe where they live, and everyone but the hermit and Randal needs to describe their work place and friends.

Worlds Beyond Earth -- my blog

Check out the PbP forum! If you don't see a game you'd like, ask me about making one!
ericthered is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2015, 04:12 PM   #75
Ransom

Still here, more info to follow.

Are you favorable toward the idea of an Unknown Enemy? It could provide plot hooks and Fun, but it also creates work for the GM.
Ransom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2015, 05:24 PM   #76
the_matrix_walker

Marcus has a farmhouse in Lebanon (Smith County), Kansas.

He is acquainted with Betty Tyler the waitress; Sam Duke, owner/operator of the hardware store, Mary at the bank, and Henry Mills, who owns the junk yard and has had some bad luck with the things that go bump in the night.

When not on the road, Marcus can be found working at the junk yard for Henry Mills. Usually he's on assignment from his real job.... Freelance monster hunting for Vigilae Luminis. He actually knows very little about the organization, as they take the "secret" part of secret society very seriously. After assisting them several times, they offered him a retainer and stipend to be available when they need him. His assignments sometimes can last weeks, but Henry has been very understanding ever since the time Marcus rescued him from ghouls.

Last edited by the_matrix_walker; 01-13-2015 at 06:28 PM.
the_matrix_walker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2015, 05:56 PM   #77
Ransom

Backstory (subject to change as appropriate):

Manuel "Brother Man" Prys

Appearance: Black male of average height and weight, bearded with wild hair. Fairly muscular. Black hair edged with gray. Similar to this guy but with the scars of a more troubled life.

Current Residence: Portsmouth, in the vicinity of McCoy Park, in a rented house.

Family: His parents live in Redding, and he has a sister who lives with her husband in Sacramento.

Biography: Manuel "Brother Man" Prys was born in San Francisco, California, to fairly privileged parents. He attended Humbolt University, pursuing a degree in Native American Studies. During this time he dabbled in the occult and Native American spiritualism, along with some of his fellow students. Life took an unexpected turn for him when some of his friends vanished while seeking out a sacred place in the Yosemite, only to be found dead some weeks later in what was deemed a bear attack. Disillusioned with life, he dropped out of college and spent the next year and a half drifting from place to place. During this time, he was brought to the Christian faith by an acquaintance he worked with in the Conservation Corps. Filled with a new purpose, Manuel agreed to assist his new friend in upcoming ministry efforts in Oregon, but decided to go back to Humboldt to finish his studies first. Before Manuel could join his partner, he saw his partner on the news as having been found dead on the banks of the Willamette River. Hurrying to Portland, he found his partner's house looted and trashed, but untouched was his partner's bible, in the margins of which he found an account of the web of horrors that his partner had found himself caught up in. Beginning with this information, Manuel began a quest to hunt down and destroy the evil that prowled the streets.

Officially, he is an urban evangelist who works with troubled youths in the city of Portland, supported by contributions from various area churches. Unofficially, even the local gang bosses come to him when they have trouble with things that are uncanny.

Last edited by Ransom; 01-21-2015 at 06:20 AM.
Old 01-13-2015, 07:44 PM   #78
Ransom

Brother Man's armaments:

A staff which can be fitted with an assortment of interchangeable spearheads, as suits the vulnerabilities Brother Man discovers for various monsters. Spearheads suitable to the monsters he expects to encounter are generally carried on his belt. Stats: treat as a fine, balanced, concealable, titanium spear. With the head removed, it looks and functions just like a staff. This weapon is purchased with Signature Gear, and is the subject of Manuel's Weapon Bond.

A set of Bolas, made from steel cables for extra strength. Manuel normally carries two of these, also on his belt.

His old friend's bible, with his friend's notes along with his own additions. Treat as an aged holy symbol. Bought with Signature Gear.

A set of fine, balanced, titanium javelins, including a number made of various esoteric materials. Normally stored in his house, unless he is specifically hunting something.

When hunting, Manuel wears a long leather coat, which conceals his weaponry. He his bare-headed, booted, and gloved. He wears military style ballistic goggles to correct his nearsightedness when hunting, and ordinary prescription lenses otherwise.

In a fight, Manuel prefers to bring down his targets with bolas and javelins, and deliver the coup de grace with his spear. If caught off guard in close quarters he fights defensively with staff techniques.
Old 01-13-2015, 07:58 PM   #79
Ransom

I have updated my character sheet to a polished version with quirks. I'm considering removing Wild Talent in favor of some Contacts and/or boosted skills, but other than that it should be considered relatively final.
Old 01-13-2015, 08:55 PM   #80
the_matrix_walker

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericthered View Post
I'm seriously considering rejected the layered armour perk. MH isn't about armour.
Dropped it and the extra torso armor, I swapped the Perk to Weapon bond and saved two points of Sig Gear getting rid of the extra layer on the chest.

---

Made a realization... You had me put the (Added Disadvantage, Unhealing) on the Alternative Leech... but Leech isn't Affliction, I'd have to use a side effect, which blows the price way up over the primary ability. I was thinking it wasn't going to be very useful with the unhealing anyway, so I'll just drop the Alternative version.
the_matrix_walker is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ghostly movement