Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > Play By Post

Old 01-21-2015, 11:50 PM   #141
Refplace

Default Re: Monster Hunters: Justice (OCC)

[QUOTE=ericthered;1861403

Refplace: Those would be gadget linked powers, not bonuses to magery. Sorry. I'm not terribly fond of gadgets and magery interacting. Increasing basic damage is bestows a bonus, and its a +2 /+1 per dice deal, and a narrow category (there is a Kromm post on that that came up for initiates war on that). I would not recommend niche protection.
[/QUOTE]

I want thinking of magery based gadgets.
Prepared written Symbols for specific rituals. Example "The Fool" card could be a Ritual of Serendipity to represent the young traveler luckily meeting the people or finding the things he needs to learn about himself. Only trouble is coming up with 72 rituals!
I need to find the Dresden thread see what I can glean from it.

A ritual to armor up clothing is a nice defense, though probably not as good as his. The rings he uses to punch people are a charm for example.
The Ruby function I might add to the Lantern as a spell that bestows a bonus to Hidden Lore (Gates). Its just a spell he typically recasts rather then a magic item or gadget power. It already is a grimoire.
I only had 2 spells make it into RPM so its neat that I get to use one of them :)
though PK changed it quite a bit.

Ok on Bestows a Bonus for damage, how much can I get for Lesser effect?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talosian View Post
Part Two!

Everybody Else
In terms of character relationships:

Refplace: Jack might have encountered Mr. H, but probably nothing more than that. It's possible that Jack might have done something to **** him off in the past, but that's up to you.
Mr. H is pretty hard to tick off (UNfazeable) and your annoying but not the serious threat to free will and humanity he is focused on. After all if you trick someone they still have a choice. So probably go with heard or had a minor crossing of paths in the past that neither really thinks about.
My List of GURPS You Tube videos (plus a few other useful items)
My GURPS Wiki entries
Refplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2015, 11:52 PM   #142
Refplace

I am curious on the Hidden Lore (Gate) thing.
Do you need magic to use them? Or can anyone use them and they just vary based on cirucmstances and time.
My List of GURPS You Tube videos (plus a few other useful items)
My GURPS Wiki entries
Refplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2015, 07:33 AM   #143
Ransom

I like Talosian's laying out possible relationships:

Refplace: His 1-year awakening in the 60s might still be talked about in the occult community, and if so Manuel might have heard of him during his involvement with that stuff in college. Maybe the tragic expedition where his friends died was actually looking for the Hermit's cave. In any case Brother Man post-salvation is going to be extremely suspicious of him, especially if he learns about the immortality seeking.

Michael Thayne: It is possible, and even likely, that Hugh and Brother Man would have formed a relationship after crossing paths on an investigation. Brother Man could contact Hugh when he needs to get the law involved in a situation, while Hugh could go to Brother Man when he needs something done "off the books".

matrix, Talosian: Talosian put it well. He'll probably try to find a cure, and be surprised and angry if they don't seem interested in it.

Skullcrusher: Brother Man likes Kane's goals, but not his methods. It's unlikely that they know each other, though they may be aware of each other through the grapevine if they have operated in overlapping areas.
Ransom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2015, 07:39 AM   #144
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

Quote:
I have a few questions on this one. I've never seen Anchors to Objects before, but I assume this means that if he put an illusion on top of a moving surface (like a carriage), it would stay with the carriage rather than staying in exact place?
Correct.

Quote:
Also, I'm wary of Persistent, because it actually seems like more of a disadvantage on Illusion with Independence. If he can already maintain things while otherwise engaged, having Illusions last for ten seconds after dropping them is actually problematic, as it makes it much more difficult to precisely control who sees what (a vital element of convincing people that they're crazy).
didn't catch independent making it last. you can drop persistant.

Quote:
Shiny. I can scare dogs away with my Night Vision XD. Would it be problematic if I added a -5% Nuisance Effect to get a noticeable eye glow on this? It drops the point cost by one, but it's mostly for the cool factor.
yeah. We can add that.

Quote:
Absolutely love this. Not 100% sure of how the Crunch interacts with your description. RAW, Jack should only get any information on a 9 or less, but the description described the Frequency of Appearance as more of a reliability roll. This should be good regardless of the exact details, but I'd appreciate confirmation/clarification.
Yeah, this isn't quite raw, but I needed a low reliability and a high skill. I think it should come out fair -- his failures should be unrelated to how hard the request is.

Quote:
As I'd written it, I'd assumed the King of Brown was "usurped" in short order, and that nobody would really care about that he continued calling himself King (since he couldn't actually /do/ anything). If you'd prefer him to actually be more inherently important, this works fine, and justifies Jack actually getting a boost with fae. If the idea was mainly to give him an "in" with fae, Spirit Empathy (Specialized (Fae), -50%) [5] might be a better option (and would actually make rather a lot of sense).
I was thinking more that having once had the position is impressive and marks him as an upper level fae. Changing it to spirit empathy is fine, but specializing in all fae is too broad. Trickster Fae, Near fae, or high fae are valid though.

Quote:
I like it. What can I expect to count as iron and not steel? Cars definitely seems fair, but I'm assuming that most electronic gadgets (and modern weapons) and such can be assumed to not have straight up iron.
Steel will count, but with a lesser effect. Electronic gadgets won't do squat. Many guns will -- though with effort he can get one that won't. large building frames might be a pain.

Quote:
Hmm. Would it be viable for a fae to have multiple emotional "poles" that attract them? If not, I can play this as Brown appreciating and enjoying all kinds of tricks designed to frustrate and otherwise harass, but being especially drawn to more sweepingly dramatic pranks of shame and embarrassment (in which case, he'd definitely be familiar with the Elven Courts).
Multiple poles is appropriate for a high fae (which Brown is)

Quote:
I'm only marginally familiar with most of the character sheets, but the only one that I'm sure counts as cursed is Marcus Savage. Is Jack the other cursee, or did I miss somebody's sheet?
Jack is the other cursee

Worlds Beyond Earth -- my blog

Check out the PbP forum! If you don't see a game you'd like, ask me about making one!
ericthered is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2015, 08:11 AM   #145
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_matrix_walker View Post
Are you referring to anything besides "only when drained 1 HP for each 10 points of powers-25%"? The sunlight thing has been off the sheet for a while... If it is my directive to put it on there, so be it (but I'd rather not if I can get away with it).

Given the nature of the drain, and that without the limitation, it would wipe out all powers instantly, would you confirm -25% is the value you want it?
Confirmed. Thats the value I want.

Quote:
Mostly done with my revision, and I just had a thought (no-one's more surprised than I by this development).

Would it be reasonable to count the cinematic bardic skills as part of the Perform! skill?* Like with cinematic martial arts skills falling under Style!, but requiring a TBaM trait to unlock. This would save Jack some points now, and give him access to the other two bardic skills, but reduce his effective skill with them by one (because of relative skill levels and the relevant attribute)
that sounds reasonable.

Quote:
Also, after I put them into GCS, I noticed that the values of some of Jack's abilities don't match up with your values. Unless you're calculating something differently they should be:
Illusion [62]
Invisibility [58]
Contact Group (Brown) [8]
And either a [10] ability got dropped accidentally, or you miscounted the final cost. It comes out to [87] in GCS right now ([86] if the Nuisance Effect on Night Vision is approved). Cost drops to [77/76] if you allow me to take Persistent off of Illusion.
Contact group is 10 (its doesn't get the limitations), and I forgot to count elastic skin as an alternate.

Check out the PbP forum! If you don't see a game you'd like, ask me about making one!
Old 01-22-2015, 08:17 AM   #146
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Refplace View Post
Ok on Bestows a Bonus for damage, how much can I get for Lesser effect?
+4 / +2 per die. surrounding effects matter. (extra kinetic energy[+4], mystic destruction of the target[+2 body, +6 spirit or undead], or fire damage [+0])

Quote:
Originally Posted by Refplace View Post
I am curious on the Hidden Lore (Gate) thing.
Do you need magic to use them? Or can anyone use them and they just vary based on cirucmstances and time.
anyone can use them. Path of crossroads is alternative and complimentary to it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ransom View Post
I like Talosian's laying out possible relationships:
Michael Thayne:
Michael thane has withdrawn from the game.

It looks like our crew is two mages, two cursed ones (lined up with vampire and fae), a mystic and an experiment. Everyone is pretty human, and everyone has mystic (or biological) powers.

Old 01-22-2015, 11:37 AM   #147
the_matrix_walker

I made all the changes we talked about.

Please confirm everything is how you would like it.

The tinkering can certainly be done if you are pleased with what we've got.

If a bit more tinkering would be theoretically okay, pop this section open...
Spoiler:  
the_matrix_walker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2015, 01:37 PM   #148
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

I'd like to keep fiddling to a minimum (I think I'll start this tomorrow) but I think the talent is doable.

Autohypnosis, Esoteric Medicine, Hidden Lore, Meditation, Occultism and Breath Control are fine, but to use as your 'power talent' as well will cost a total of 10.

If you want to up the weakness, change to a more common weakness (one we discussed before) rather than upping the percentage.

Old 01-22-2015, 03:16 PM   #149
the_matrix_walker

I'll think about it tonight. If you don't want to use the "Existing Advantages as Talents", I'd be better off with two 5 point talents than one 10 point talent. That way it's easier to improve what I want to.
the_matrix_walker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2015, 03:38 PM   #150
Skullcrusher

I just to make sure i am good. I know the strength was cheaper but I need to spend more for my Patron. Can I jst leave it like it is and call it even or do I need to shave off the balance of 2 points I need after the changes.

Randal Kane - Trent Bauer
Skullcrusher is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ghostly movement