Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > Play By Post

Old 01-19-2015, 07:13 PM   #121
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

Default Re: Monster Hunters: Justice (OCC)

Notes:

Particulary ruthless wizard: Read 'Immortal' in this spot. Not all of them are wizards, but they are all ruthless and have the power to pull such a stunt off.

The King of Brown won't be merging with Jack's personality-- fae and humans are too different. He will be bound to jack though -- his ability to act beyond jack will be extremely limited. I could certainly see them having an influence on each other though. Also, jack will have a good bit of fae knowledge but not the full set. His hidden lore roll will also be fairly high -- cursed ones, near, high, and resident fae will all turn up stuff (in various quantities).

As a note, Jack's exact powers from brown should come from a template you request from me, as the opening post. That supernatural set is fine. If it helps you can give me a suggested budget. The weaknesses will not be as generic as "Iron", but I'll work on that. In all likely hood he'll mostly just loose his supernatural abilities rather than taking extra damage.

cinematic bardic skills are valid, but will require an advantage to unlock. Ravens and Pennies 'Other trained by a master'. Its a large group. Yes, this is a house rule. Keep it or leave.

Worlds Beyond Earth -- my blog

Check out the PbP forum! If you don't see a game you'd like, ask me about making one!
ericthered is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2015, 07:55 PM   #122
Talosian

Quote:
Particulary ruthless wizard: Read 'Immortal' in this spot. Not all of them are wizards, but they are all ruthless and have the power to pull such a stunt off.
I'd used an immortal in a previous version of the story, but it got dropped accidentally. Dur hur.

Quote:
The King of Brown won't be merging with Jack's personality-- fae and humans are too different. He will be bound to jack though -- his ability to act beyond jack will be extremely limited. I could certainly see them having an influence on each other though. Also, jack will have a good bit of fae knowledge but not the full set. His hidden lore roll will also be fairly high -- cursed ones, near, high, and resident fae will all turn up stuff (in various quantities).
Okay, I can live without the merging, as the end result (him acting oddly fae-ish) is entirely justifiable by having grown up with a fae in his head, constantly trying to influence him. Brown being unable to act directly is perfect. Narratively, Jack's knowledge of fae would be limited to whatever Brown happened to say (and he's not interested in giving Jack lessons on the subject). In game terms, I've been building Jack with Hidden Lore for Near, High, and Resident Fae, as well as Gates (at an as yet undecided level), with the idea that this represents knowledge that Brown would share when he felt it necessary (this is a bit abstract, I can justify cutting it down by making Brown a bit less helpful). Brown could arguably have a greater breadth of knowledge about various fae things and types, but he probably never really cared.

I'm alright with letting you do the details of Jack's powers and weaknesses. I'd actually thought about having his abilities shut down by certain things, but didn't want to get into the details of putting together appropriate limitations. As a rough guidepost to my original plan, here's the current version of his brownie related abilities.
Spoiler:  

EDIT2: I hadn't included Frightens Animals. Also, the total cost of current supernatural abilities is 73, and budget-wise, anywhere from 65-80 should be easily manageable. Higher or lower shouldn't be a huge crisis, but would require more revision. (If Illusion gets cut entirely, that would also free 8 points from Artist (Illusion).)

Quote:
cinematic bardic skills are valid, but will require an advantage to unlock. Ravens and Pennies 'Other trained by a master'. Its a large group. Yes, this is a house rule. Keep it or leave.
I adore house rules, and Ghostdancer's work is always great. I'll incorporate this into my draft.

EDIT: I posted too soon. Are there additional cinematic bard skills that I'm unaware of? The ones I'm aware of don't form a large group, though 5 points doesn't sound unreasonable anyway.

Last edited by Talosian; 01-19-2015 at 08:36 PM.
Talosian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2015, 08:23 PM   #123
the_matrix_walker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talosian View Post
I adore house rules, and Ghostdancer's work is always great. I'll incorporate this into my draft.

EDIT: I posted too soon. Are there additional cinematic bard skills that I'm unaware of? The ones I'm aware of don't form a large group, though 5 points doesn't sound unreasonable anyway.
I think that's what he meant about it being a house rule, bumping it up to the 5 point level.

Ericthered: My stuff has been adjusted.
the_matrix_walker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2015, 11:47 PM   #124
Talosian

Jack Brown - Current

Wordy Sheet
Spoiler:  

Crunchy Sheet
Spoiler:  

Current Equipment List
(I can write up or zoom in on the equipment list if necessary, but I figured I should at least get it up as soon as possible.)

Last edited by Talosian; 03-13-2015 at 04:46 PM.
Talosian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2015, 01:20 AM   #125
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talosian View Post
As a rough guidepost to my original plan, here's the current version of his brownie related abilities.

EDIT2: I hadn't included Frightens Animals. Also, the total cost of current supernatural abilities is 73, and budget-wise, anywhere from 65-80 should be easily manageable. Higher or lower shouldn't be a huge crisis, but would require more revision. (If Illusion gets cut entirely, that would also free 8 points from Artist (Illusion).)

Its an effectively large group, rather than an actually large one. The abilities are quite powerful.

reserve 100 points for the template. I don't know that I will use them all, but please reserve them. Your idea of faerie memory is accurate. They all have far more experience than mortals, but they don't pay much attention, even a figure such as the king of brown. You will have some 'fae social' skills that show up that way though. Most of the magic will be illusion (though not mental )

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_matrix_walker View Post
Ericthered: My stuff has been adjusted.

page reference for precognitive parry? I can't find it in powerups, powers, supers, basic ....

Check out the PbP forum! If you don't see a game you'd like, ask me about making one!
Old 01-20-2015, 01:25 AM   #126
the_matrix_walker

Martial Arts, Page 62.

I switched back to a straight up Detect, rather than the Modular one, and switched the danger sense to limited precognition and took it out of the Alt-Ability array. I decided it wouldn't be much good as an alternative. That made things a little pricier, so the rare Vulnerability to Peach Tree Wood is back. If you'd rather see the return of the fire vulnerability (or something different) instead, let me know.

Last edited by the_matrix_walker; 01-20-2015 at 12:28 PM.
Old 01-20-2015, 05:04 PM   #127
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

Matrix Walker, Were did all the powers on your sheet come from? I don't remember discussing any of them, apart from vauge references. You don't have to ask me to make normal changes, but I'd like to be asked about powers, and ESPECIALLY everything on the template.

No to the enhancements on ST (unless you can point out to me where you asked about it).
I'm really leaning against the reliable on detect (use acute sense instead)
The alternate abilities on detect are not legal if it stays as an alternate itself, and probably no period.

I'll make final calls a little later. right now I'm a little grumpy that I found these when combing over your sheet rather than being asked about them, but I don't know if that's my fault or not at this point, so I'm going to wait. I get very grumpy if I feel someone tried to pull a 'better to ask forgiveness than permission' on me.

Why did you change danger sense to precog?

Could everyone tell me where they think their character is in the approval process? I think its pretty much in the final stages for everyone but Skullcrusher (I'm waiting for another sheet), and Talosian (who is moving quickly), and matrix WAS in the final process before he messed with the template.

Old 01-20-2015, 06:46 PM   #128
Talosian

Quote:
Most of the magic will be illusion (though not mental )
Sounds good. <prays silently for invisibility>
(I'd survive its loss, but it's very character and lore appropriate. No prank like an invisible prank. If it can't pass, would an illusion themed Chameleon be viable?)

-

I'm currently modifying Jack in GCS as prep for possible template costs (I may also make minor adjustments such as squeezing in Ambidexterity). Currently looking at dropping Persuade, Suggest, Alt-Trained by a Master, and a level of Charisma if I need to fit the full 100 points. Once the template is in it shouldn't take more than an hour to finalize his sheet (assuming the rest of it stands up to scrutiny). In the meantime I'll probably revise and expand his backstory for depth and clarity.

I put together an organized list of any questions I had about other details:

What Hidden Lore skills should he have/would be especially appropriate? (Currently has Resident, Near, and High Fae, and an unspecified Gates. He also also has Area Knowledge (Kingdom of Brown), which may be inappropriate or irrelevant.)

Can gates be used to travel between Faerie and the human world? If so, what would the appropriate specialty be called? (I'd imagine that this is what Brown would know best.)

What organizations are in play? I've seen reference to Vigilae Luminis (fanatic-ish monster hunting secret society), and Cherion (supernatural involved megacorp?), but Jack probably wouldn't mesh well with either group.

Jack's background was extended, but left open ended pending details about the starting situation. Will the final players already be a group, or will they form in play?
Old 01-20-2015, 07:32 PM   #129
the_matrix_walker

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericthered View Post
Matrix Walker, Were did all the powers on your sheet come from? I don't remember discussing any of them, apart from vauge references. You don't have to ask me to make normal changes, but I'd like to be asked about powers, and ESPECIALLY everything on the template.
oops! I had been making revisions when asking you about things and making those references.
Quote:
No to the enhancements on ST (unless you can point out to me where you asked about it).
Those have been there quite a while, I only recently labelled the Enhancements as "Ability Settings"... I thought they were approved.

I tend not to save my PM's, as my box fills up... I wish I had, I know there were some relevant ones... The Enhanced ST Based Damage came up as a result of our discussion regarding grappling ghosts, and I added Affects Insubstantial to Leech and ST, and in the PM I sent you about it, I mentioned taking other enhancements "Since I was already modifying ST based Damage" (or some such) and since they seemed like cool Chi effects. It was at the same time that I added the claws (which I'm not sure if I specified, I might have assumed it wouldn't be a concern, sorry)

I screwed up in thinking that you reviewed the sheet and that your not specifically responding was consent.
Quote:
I'm really leaning against the reliable on detect (use acute sense instead)
The alternate abilities on detect are not legal if it stays as an alternate itself, and probably no period.
The thing on Reliable, is that I don't really need it for the Sense roll portion. What I wanted it for is the IQ Based Analysis roll... The Detect is Alternative to Leech+Affliction, so he can "Sense Chi" by drawing it in from all around him, or "Suck Chi" by drawing it in from a victim. Detect is the only Alternative Ability he has... Could you be referring to the Alternative Enhancements on Detect?

Quote:
I'll make final calls a little later. right now I'm a little grumpy that I found these when combing over your sheet rather than being asked about them, but I don't know if that's my fault or not at this point, so I'm going to wait. I get very grumpy if I feel someone tried to pull a 'better to ask forgiveness than permission' on me.
My apologies, I thought we had discussed the options and was waiting for you to go over the sheet and let me know what worked for you. I'm surprised to hear that there is any power you don't recognize, so I think the fault is probably somewhat mutual... But I will accept all of the blame! For the record, I wasn't trying to pull anything though.
Quote:
Why did you change danger sense to precog?
I just thought precog would be cool. I can switch it back or drop it entirely. It grew from my interest in Precognitive Parry, but I can just take a Special Training perk if you want me to skip the Danger Sense/Precognition.

-------------------------------------------------------------

I'm so sorry if I made assumptions and took liberties... I did think that the updates were pending review and you just hadn't gotten to it yet. I certainly didn't mean to surprise you as I obviously have...

I'll change anything you want into anything you like... so sorry again!
Old 01-21-2015, 02:22 AM   #130
Refplace

Quote:
Could everyone tell me where they think their character is in the approval process? I think its pretty much in the final stages for everyone but Skullcrusher (I'm waiting for another sheet), and Talosian (who is moving quickly), and matrix WAS in the final process before he messed with the template.
I think I am done unless you want any changes you haven't mentioned yet.
I do need to work out some more charms and rituals. Since rituals can be created on the fly its not a big deal but it will keep from slowing things down the more I get worked out and approved in advance.
Also good to work on some more charms, been looking at Tarot cards to see what rituals can fit which, based on the Separith and the traditional card meaning or even name.
That would just be flavor for the charms or prepared symbols though.

I do want a damage bonus ritual I can use for increasing basic weapon or fist damage and been thinking of rituals for effects like Dresdens motion rings and armored duster. I think the ruby would be just Bestow Bonus to Hidden Lore Gate rather then a charm or prepared Crossroads effect.

I had finally found the Schtick perk in Pyramid 3/44 for Niche protection but decided its probably not worth the bother for Tarot Master.
Let me know though :)
My List of GURPS You Tube videos (plus a few other useful items)
My GURPS Wiki entries
Refplace is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ghostly movement