Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > Play By Post

Old 01-18-2015, 11:35 AM   #111
Refplace

Default Re: Monster Hunters: Justice (OCC)

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_matrix_walker View Post
I don't think you mentioned altering the Costs FP/HP value for this game.

(and I forgot about the limitation thing... oops)
Buried under Witches entry.
My List of GURPS You Tube videos (plus a few other useful items)
My GURPS Wiki entries
Refplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2015, 03:03 PM   #112
Lamech

Oh heyo that works out great. Switched Jenny into a 50% 12 or less ally, and took a point from physician to pay for it. Now I just need to finish up the rituals (Mainly typing up the rituals.) and the load out and the sheet will be all done!
Hiriko
Andrew
Lamech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2015, 12:31 AM   #113
the_matrix_walker

After the realization that I did the limitations wrong on the Alternative Abilities, I decided to just remove them... they were a bit to fiddly anyway. I used the points to remove the vulnerability for peach tree wood (But he still has the weakness to salt and vinegar).
the_matrix_walker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2015, 01:06 AM   #114
Talosian

Dammit! I don't know how I missed this for several weeks.

It's late, and I'm super busy, so before I read through the whole thread, I figure I should ask if this has already filled up.

If it's already full (and at 12 pages, it presumably is) I'd love to fill in any vacancies that open up from here out.
Old 01-19-2015, 01:57 AM   #115
the_matrix_walker

There hasn't been a declaration of fullness... I think the characters involved are pretty much finished tho... If you have a concept already, my guess is that your best bet would be to post something promptly!
Old 01-19-2015, 11:53 AM   #116
the_matrix_walker

PM with Kromm with some information that's pertinent to my character.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kromm
Quote:
Originally Posted by the_matrix_walker

1] I was building a character with a "Style!" and noticed a number of skills included in the Style that have prerequisites that are not in the skill list or list of optional skills. Should these skills be automatically included in the Style!, or should they be prerequisites for learning the Style!?
Neither is required, though the designer of the Style! might opt to include such prerequisites if the wildcard seems weak without them. If a style includes Invisibility Art but somehow omits Hypnotism and Stealth, then that's what it includes and thus what its Style! includes. A wildcard skill simply ignores prerequisites and cuts right to the skills that are central to its mission; it is its own skill, not the skills bundled into it, so its prerequisites are its own (if any). In particular, remember that cinematic skills don't work without Trained by a Master or Weapon Master, so the character is already buying an expensive advantage and an expensive (wildcard) skill.

Quote:

2] If you have Leech and parry using Hand Catch (which initiates a grapple), can you start stealing HP on your turn following your Hand Catch, before the opponent has the opportunity to attempt to Break Free?
Hand Catch is very clear: "On later turns, you can use any combat option that requires a grab or grapple to set up." Thus, you can use Leech as soon as your turn comes up, before your enemy can break free.

Quote:

3] Does Leech require any action or concentration beyond maintaining contact (Can someone 'Leeching' still do everything a 'non-leech' can do in the same close combat situations)?
Leech is meant to be a result of contact, not action (beyond whatever is necessary to maintain contact, like not using a hand being used to maintain the grapple). If you grapple someone, you can use Leech while you punch him, fly away with him, or otherwise take your turn, subject to the limitations of keeping your victim grappled or pinned.
I've been wanting to get my leech level up to 3... it occurred to me that stealing chi and sensing chi were probably similar enough that I could make his Supernatural Detect as an Alternative Ability to the Leech/Affliction... I wanted to see if I could squeeze Precognitive Parry in... setting up the senses as an alternative may let me do that. I'm going to crunch those numbers and see how it looks.

Do you want me to keep those STYLE! prerequisites and your ruling, or should I drop the ones I don't really need? (And did you originally include the (optional skill) Jumping in the style! ? (I think you did, but I deleted the PM)
Old 01-19-2015, 12:18 PM   #117
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talosian View Post
Dammit! I don't know how I missed this for several weeks.

It's late, and I'm super busy, so before I read through the whole thread, I figure I should ask if this has already filled up.

If it's already full (and at 12 pages, it presumably is) I'd love to fill in any vacancies that open up from here out.
Quote:
There hasn't been a declaration of fullness... I think the characters involved are pretty much finished tho... If you have a concept already, my guess is that your best bet would be to post something promptly!
Pretty much this: We're really close, so if you want in you need to put up a mechanically solid character with the full background ASAP.

Quote:

I've been wanting to get my leech level up to 3... it occurred to me that stealing chi and sensing chi were probably similar enough that I could make his Supernatural Detect as an Alternative Ability to the Leech/Affliction... I wanted to see if I could squeeze Precognitive Parry in... setting up the senses as an alternative may let me do that. I'm going to crunch those numbers and see how it looks.

Do you want me to keep those STYLE! prerequisites and your ruling, or should I drop the ones I don't really need? (And did you originally include the (optional skill) Jumping in the style! ? (I think you did, but I deleted the PM)
Drop the prereqs you don't really need: the style! works without them, but you won't be able to use the cinematic techniques attatched to the prereqs without them. Jumping is in the style.

Worlds Beyond Earth -- my blog

Check out the PbP forum! If you don't see a game you'd like, ask me about making one!
ericthered is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2015, 01:52 PM   #118
Talosian

Quote:
Pretty much this: We're really close, so if you want in you need to put up a mechanically solid character with the full background ASAP.
Dun dun dun dun... Okay, I decided last night that I'd probably skip my Norse mage from the Sentinels MH game (since there's a already a mage). Instead I started thinking about a Fae character, which has since evolved rather strangely. Impromptu write up of my current concept below. (For the purposes of the concept, I'm essentially combining the already related brownies and boggarts into a more versatile and three dimensional trickster fae.)

-

Brownies are a chaotic and shifty group of fae that delight in tricks and pranks of all kinds. Their tricks are rarely life threatening, but often malicious or mean-spirited in nature. Because of this, higher fae typically find them to be absolutely insufferable nuisances, and avoid them as much as possible. In the absence of higher fae, brownies are free to rule themselves - insofar as brownies can be ruled. The brownies usually allow the cleverest and most capable brownie to title itself the King of Brown. The King of Brown has little to no real authority, but can usually push other brownies around enough to get its way. A King of Brown usually lasts until it is deposed by irritated or ambitious brownies, though some have met more unfortunate ends at the hands of angry mortals and High Fae. In the case of one particular King of Brown (hereafter referred to as the King of Brown, or simply Brown), he amused himself by continually plaguing an especially ruthless wizard, and he paid an unusual price. Furious, the wizard decided that the King of Brown needed a special punishment, and he bound him into a passing child.

Jack was an entirely ordinary boy of twelve who happened to be in the wrong place at the wrong time. When the King of Brown was initially thrust upon him, the King was so weak that Jack was unaware that anything had happened at all. It didn't take the King of Brown long to recover, however, and Jack was soon subjected to the constant tirade of an outraged - and completely trapped - brownie. Eventually the two came to accept that they were stuck together, and made a tenuous peace. What neither realized is that being squeezed into the same mind had merged aspects of their personalities together, making Jack more wild and fae, and the King less cruel and capricious. Driven by the demands of a bored brownie and his own changing nature, Jack soon fled his peaceful - or, as Brown said, insufferably dull - home, and joined a travelling circus.

-

That's roughly the background. I'm thinking that by game time Jack would be a teenager (one part teen, one part ancient brownie), though the exact age is easily adjustable to what fits the game, and I'd be fine with bumping him to twenty. Jack's motivation and involvement in monster hunting is unspecified because I had a few ideas, and I wasn't sure which would fit best:

First, it'd be pretty easy to work a vengeance angle by having his circus and friends killed off a few years before the present. Brown has no real loyalties, and is still bitter about being usurped, so he wouldn't mind (especially because he'd get to play dangerous and potentially lethal tricks on insufferably pretentious fae/demons/dangerous things).

Second, if all (or any) of the players are part of an actual organization, Jack could be pretty easily recruited for his abilities (mentioned below). Jack would be a valuable but potentially problematic wildcard. Brown would be less fond of the organizational hierarchy, but he'd live with it for the same reasons as above. This could also combine with the first idea.

The concept is also easy to bend around to fit in in essentially any way, if the core idea of it is acceptable. In terms of actual game abilities and role, Jack has a pretty broad set of skills, mostly emphasizing stealth and social interactions. He has access to some supernatural abilities through Brown (currently in flux, but things like Elastic Skin (Glamour), Invisibility (Glamour, Visible Reflection), Illusion (Mental), and access to some cinematic skills such as Persuade and Suggest), which are what would make him a unique asset for a team. He may also have some of the downsides of a fae, such as a vulnerability to iron. Brown wouldn't be represented as a split personality, but instead written into the characters actions and thoughts (essentially, if the Trickster disadvantage demands that Jack do something especially stupid and dangerous, I'd be writing it as Brown exerting a stronger influence). Given the choice, Jack favors indirect solutions, though both subtle and audacious trickery are considered indirect. He can fight (mostly with knives, as he currently has no reason to have firearms), but will rarely do so directly, preferring to strike by surprise.

Short summary: Rogue-ish fae-touched/inhabited human with circus skills and some trickster spirit abilities. Can work with a team, but is likely to enjoy bothering them in small ways, and may take impulsive action on his own.

EDIT: Yes, a normal character would have killed me.

EDIT2: To clarify my thoughts on brownies: I'm thinking of them as spanning a range from resident fae to near fae. The resident fae being composed of more traditional brownies that are mostly helpful house spirits that may make some mischief, but are cohabitating relatively peacefully with humans. On the other side, you have more boggart-y fae like Brown that dwell in their little corner of near fae, and regularly visit the mortal world to essentially be giant d*cks to hapless humans.

Also, a quick note about names: Boggarts are apparently not to be named (or else), which I included in my combination of boggarts and brownies, thus why I call Jack's brownie-friend the King of Brown (shortened to Brown for sanity, which is arguably just a shortened title and not an actual name). Jack's original last name is Marlin, but he'll usually go by Jack Brown (which amuses him to no end, as he's stealthily introducing the two different entities in his head).

Last edited by Talosian; 01-19-2015 at 03:15 PM.
Talosian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2015, 04:29 PM   #119
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

Honestly, this idea would have worked (with tweaking) if you started with everyone else, but you probably don't have the time to work it out before everyone else finishes.

I suggest you try something easier to throw together.

Worlds Beyond Earth -- my blog

Check out the PbP forum! If you don't see a game you'd like, ask me about making one!
ericthered is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2015, 04:50 PM   #120
Talosian

Well, I have the alpha version of Jack almost finished (homework somewhat less so), so if you'll let me take that gamble, I should be able to get a complete first version up tonight (and probably still finish homework!).

If that's okay with you, let me know what conceptual and planning tweaks are probably necessary, and I'll incorporate them into that draft.

Specific questions about/updates on build and crunch:
Spoiler:  

Tags
ghostly movement