Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 03-19-2015, 01:10 PM   #31
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

Default Re: [Space] FTL Ideas/Thoughts

Quote:
Originally Posted by scc View Post
I sort of assume that the first wave of colonization was conducted with FTL-1 and it's 5 times multiplier at best and colony ships aren't normally speedsters, so that puts even Alpha Centauri several years travel away. Also I thinking portals came first, so to a certain extent the colony ships were one way

Why aren't you putting out a continuous signal? And remember FTL-3 can only be used until the first hop. Chances are a SAR group isn't going to be dispatched until they think a ship missing
You're playing with a much less connected setting than I was figuring on -- each colony will be very much its own place, and I suspect the main cargo will be people and supplies leaving the home system for good -- emigration, not trade.

The reason you aren't sending out a constant distress call is to preserve power -- you don't want to leave your reactor running with everyone in the stasis pods, and solar panels in interstellar space can't be providing that much power.

Worlds Beyond Earth -- my blog

Check out the PbP forum! If you don't see a game you'd like, ask me about making one!
ericthered is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2015, 01:55 PM   #32
Fred Brackin

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericthered View Post
The reason you aren't sending out a constant distress call is to preserve power -- you don't want to leave your reactor running with everyone in the stasis pods, and solar panels in interstellar space can't be providing that much power.
Solar powers are generally considered useless beyond the orbit of Jupiter if not sooner. At Jupiter (5x as far as Earth) solar panels are delivering only 1/25th as much energy.

At 1000 AU it's only 1/1,000,000th as much and that still a distance measured in light _days_ rather than years.

If your emergency power is rtgs (such as deep space probes normally use) you'll have a constant power output for decades.
Old 03-19-2015, 10:57 PM   #33
scc

Yeah, and considering that current fusion power research is stuck at solving the more power out then in problem, it's probably best to just leave a fusion reactor going, epically with an on going drain like life support. Plus the whole issue of the SAR vessel not knowing how long it needs to wait.

And you're right about increasing the speed, at FTL-3 with a single tank of Advanced Fusion Pulse fuel Alpha Centauri is 18 years travel time away (Which is much better then in real life
scc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2015, 01:48 PM   #34
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred Brackin View Post
You learn something every day. This is awesome. Any idea how this fits into power points in spaceships?

If your emergency power is rtgs (such as deep space probes normally use) you'll have a constant power output for decades.
You learn something every day. This is awesome. Any idea how this fits into power points in spaceships?

------------------------------------------

With leaving the fusion plant on -- leaving a fusion power pant running without supervision sounds quite scary. Particuarly if I'm counting on it running in order to survive. I suppose if you have a good enough automated system you could wake the tech's up if there is a problem, but still --- I'd prefer to find a way to turn the thing off.

Worlds Beyond Earth -- my blog

Check out the PbP forum! If you don't see a game you'd like, ask me about making one!
ericthered is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2015, 03:18 PM   #35
Flyndaran
Untagged

Power Points in Spaceships aren't realistic. Most non-nuclear plant should give at most 1/10 PPs, while Solar should give 1/100 PPs.

There are ways to squeeze out efficiency from RTGs, but you'll never get more than half the thermal output of the radioactives, about 0.5 kW/kg for Pu 238. But Plutonium 238's half life of 87.7 years gives a nice long usefulness.
Old 03-20-2015, 03:24 PM   #36
Flyndaran
Untagged

Quote:
Originally Posted by scc View Post
Yeah, and considering that current fusion power research is stuck at solving the more power out then in problem, it's probably best to just leave a fusion reactor going, epically with an on going drain like life support. Plus the whole issue of the SAR vessel not knowing how long it needs to wait.

And you're right about increasing the speed, at FTL-3 with a single tank of Advanced Fusion Pulse fuel Alpha Centauri is 18 years travel time away (Which is much better then in real life
Shouldn't FTL anything go faster than light? Alpha Centauri is 4.37 light years away.

Regardless of what a society's ground based technology could get away with, spaceships will certainly be more streamlined with compromises made for mass and volume.
Even minor malfunctions could "just" lead to horrible overheating and cooking the crew. Better to have auto shutdowns, and emergency backup power for hibernation tubes / nanostasis / freeze suites / etc.
Old 03-20-2015, 03:26 PM   #37
Flyndaran
Untagged

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred Brackin View Post
Solar powers are generally considered useless beyond the orbit of Jupiter if not sooner. At Jupiter (5x as far as Earth) solar panels are delivering only 1/25th as much energy.
Solar panels are also huge and fragile under the best of circumstances. You don't need to have space pirates or cinematic meteor showers to care about long term upkeep and repair costs.
Old 03-20-2015, 03:45 PM   #38
scc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyndaran View Post
Shouldn't FTL anything go faster than light? Alpha Centauri is 4.37 light years away.

Regardless of what a society's ground based technology could get away with, spaceships will certainly be more streamlined with compromises made for mass and volume.
Even minor malfunctions could "just" lead to horrible overheating and cooking the crew. Better to have auto shutdowns, and emergency backup power for hibernation tubes / nanostasis / freeze suites / etc.
FTL here is a speed multiplier, if the multiplier is too low and your not going fast enough your effective velocity isn't FTL.

There might be backup power for the hibernation tubes, but not for years/centenaries
Old 03-20-2015, 04:13 PM   #39
Flyndaran
Untagged

I stand by my question. Perhaps SM would make more sense than slower than light faster than light travel.

Edit: Not a criticism of the concept or science fiction-iness, just naming convention.

Last edited by Flyndaran; 03-20-2015 at 04:22 PM.
Flyndaran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2015, 04:46 PM   #40
scc

Well for one thing SM is already taken in GURPS meanings. And the reason I've been using FTL numbers up until now is that that's how Spaceships rates Stardrive units

Tags
space, spaceships