Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 01-07-2012, 04:04 PM   #51
psayer

Default Re: GURPS Alpha Centauri

"At any rate, since I in no way wish that kind of ordeal on anyone else, I here humbly offer up my documents and files so far, for all those interested. I really don't want to brag, but I have an Alpha Centauri file on my PC, size 678MB and growing. Contact me if you would like some of it, here are some of the more useful snippets:"

Phoenix: Do you still have these files, and/or could you update the links? I've started a 4e AC campaign, set in MY2135, and would love to see the background info you've come up with.
psayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2021, 08:16 AM   #52
SolemnGolem

Default Re: GURPS Alpha Centauri

GURPS Realm Management is out.

Of all the licensed settings that SJGames did great work on, I think SMAC/X is perhaps the best suited for some Realm Management macrogaming challenges.

"My gift to industry is the genetically engineered worker... Tyranny, you say? How can there be tyranny when you cannot feel pain?"

Edit: Here's a build of The Human Hive. Right now it's just a lens (no values for population, territorial area size, etc.).

The Human Hive, led by Chairman Yang Shengji. Described in the Alpha Centauri handbook as militaristic (though the game mechanics do not follow this). In game, it's a brutal serfdom economy, with private enterprise largely quashed and pervasive police oversight. It performs highly in building things industrially but its economic performance is sluggish. In later game versions, it could not go below a certain baseline efficiency, although its favored social engineering choices (Police State and Planned) usually meant it rarely improved above baseline either.

Loyalty Rating: Normal (10, +2 with CR, below).
Infrastructure Rating: Average (IR3)
Control Rating: CR 5, gives +2 to resist Influence rolls (for effective 12) from Secure Society 2.
Conformity +4%: ConR 5
Openness Rating: OR 0
Government type: Autocracy: Management +1; leader has Megalomania
Economic system: Communism: After gaining Workforce Point, roll (ConR+5) or less to gain an additional point.
Management: Usual level: Management-12
Usually Reliable Management: +25% (rigid procedural dogma means functions do not fall below a baseline) re-roll critical failures (or failures by 10 MOF) twice.
Reaction Time Modifier: TL9 and Management-12 cancel each other out for +0
Social Resonance: -2.
Enhancements:
  • Able Populace (+25%): whenever Workforce Points gained, immediately gain another one.
  • Defensible Terrain (+40%): underground bunkers give +4 defense bonus.
  • Reduced Consumption 1 (+25%): During famine, can survive on 1 fewer Agriculture Point than usual.
  • Secure Society (+20%): CR +2
Limitations:
  • Hated (-10%): other factions usually dislike both its politics and its economics for -2 Social Resonance total.
  • Chauvinistic (-5%): OR 0: mollify/assist other realm at -2.
  • Hard Power Oriented (-5%): -2 to all maneuvers when unable to use its military in dealings with other realms.

Last edited by SolemnGolem; 03-31-2021 at 04:02 PM.
SolemnGolem is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
alpha centauri