Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > Dungeon Fantasy Roleplaying Game

Old 06-19-2022, 12:11 PM   #91
DouglasCole
Doctor of GURPS Ballistics

Default Re: A Bestiary Approaches for Nordlond and the DFRPG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rommel View Post
Hi Doug,

So yesterday, I checked my front door to see if there were any packages. My 11 year-old son just happened to be following me at the time. I found a package and immediately guessed what it was. My son could tell I was excited and asked me what was in the package. I told him that a full sized bestiary had finally come out for GURPS 4th edition. I opened the box, briefly browsed the contents, and then went to go get ready to go out to dinner. About 10 minutes later I came back and my son was leafing through the bestiary. He started playing a little game where he would ask me if I would rather fight x or y. The book had clearly sparked his imagination.

For context, I have quite a few GURPS books on the self in our library. And I have been running a monster hunter campaign off and on for my family for about two years now. So my son has had a fair amount of exposure to GURPS. I have seen him flip through the core books during game sessions to look up rules, but I had never before seen him browse through a GURPS book just for the pure joy of it. There have been a lot of discussions on the boards lately of how to get more people into GURPS. In my mind, the answer is to make more books that can spark an 11 year-old's imagination like the Nordland Bestiary has. I look forward to more books.
This is such a great story I have to ask for permission to repost it on my blog. I'm super happy that your son has found some pleasure in looking through the book!
DouglasCole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2022, 12:12 PM   #92
DouglasCole

Quote:
Originally Posted by Armin View Post
I got my book a couple days ago. (I'd forgotten I'd ordered the hardcover; must have had room in the budget at the time.)

It's a really nice book! Lovely to hold and page through.

I already knew the content was great from the PDF. All around, a bestiary made just the way I'd want one.
Thank you!

I can say there are two more bestiary projects (though not full-on hardcover ones) in development, one very actively so. I also haven't forgotten dinosaurs were the next stretch goal...
Old 06-19-2022, 12:37 PM   #93
Rommel

Quote:
Originally Posted by DouglasCole View Post
This is such a great story I have to ask for permission to repost it on my blog. I'm super happy that your son has found some pleasure in looking through the book!
Yes, please feel free to repost it.
Rommel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2022, 07:30 PM   #94
Dalin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rommel View Post
There have been a lot of discussions on the boards lately of how to get more people into GURPS. In my mind, the answer is to make more books that can spark an 11 year-old's imagination like the Nordland Bestiary has. I look forward to more books.
Hear, hear! I completely agree.
Dalin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2022, 08:53 AM   #95
SolemnGolem

Just want to pile on the praise train, I got the hardcopy Bestiary recently in the mail and I love it. Plus it looks great on the shelf beside the Basic Set hardcovers.

I would definitely back more Gaming Ballistic projects in future!
SolemnGolem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2022, 09:01 AM   #96
DouglasCole

Quote:
Originally Posted by SolemnGolem View Post
Just want to pile on the praise train, I got the hardcopy Bestiary recently in the mail and I love it. Plus it looks great on the shelf beside the Basic Set hardcovers.

I would definitely back more Gaming Ballistic projects in future!
Thank you!

I can say that I've got two more Bestiary expansions in the works right now, neither of them written by me. Not sure on page counts here, but I anticipate 32-64 each.

There's another short book in the works that's a rules treatise. I anticipate that one being 8-16 pages.

Finally, I've got my eye on Delvers to Grow Companion 1, and I'm working on that myself, with a bit of extra help from others.

All of these are more or less aimed at "early fall 2022."
Old 06-27-2022, 10:11 AM   #97
SolemnGolem

Quote:
There's something to be said for a writer at his computer who can stab the sky with a finger and say "TO THE WRITING DESK!" and then a few apparent days later declare "TO KICKSTARTER!" and then seemingly get the written hard copy into the hands of fans quickly thereafter.

I can only imagine the pushing, pulling, cajoling, and hand-to-hand buckler shield combat behind the scenes to get this done, but the lead time between the Ovinabokin KS announcement and its actual delivery felt like a very swift development cycle.
SolemnGolem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2022, 10:26 AM   #98
DouglasCole

Quote:
Originally Posted by SolemnGolem View Post
There's something to be said for a writer at his computer who can stab the sky with a finger and say "TO THE WRITING DESK!" and then a few apparent days later declare "TO KICKSTARTER!" and then seemingly get the written hard copy into the hands of fans quickly thereafter.

I can only imagine the pushing, pulling, cajoling, and hand-to-hand buckler shield combat behind the scenes to get this done, but the lead time between the Ovinabokin KS announcement and its actual delivery felt like a very swift development cycle.
Quote:
Thank you!

I can say that I've got two more Bestiary expansions in the works right now, neither of them written by me. Not sure on page counts here, but I anticipate 32-64 each.

There's another short book in the works that's a rules treatise. I anticipate that one being 8-16 pages.

Finally, I've got my eye on Delvers to Grow Companion 1, and I'm working on that myself, with a bit of extra help from others.

(Hrm...I've done a bit of poking about, and I'm not sure if it's going to be early fall or late fall; I'll need to do some noodling. I've got a few systemless projects that would fit in the schedule alternately with the DFRPG stuff, so it'll depend a lot on what else is going on in the Kickstartosphere)
Old 06-28-2022, 04:15 AM   #99
Farmer

Quote:
Ah, Spring content for those of us south of the equator. Particularly looking forward to the additional Bestiary content, and hoping it will be VTT-able as well.
All losses are restored and sorrows end."
Farmer is offline   Reply With Quote