Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > Roleplaying in General

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-05-2023, 09:38 AM   #2761
L.J.Steele
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Default Re: Real-Life Weirdness

Whiskey Fungus Encrusts Tennessee Town

The ethanol-fueled fungus known as whiskey fungus has thrived for centuries around distilleries and bakeries. It’s been the source of complaints from residents who live near Kentucky bourbon distilleries, Canadian whisky makers and Caribbean rum manufacturers.

Now it is driving a wedge between some residents of Lincoln County, Tennessee, and Jack Daniel’s, the famed distillery founded in 1866 in neighboring Moore County.

For months, some residents have complained that a sooty, dark crust has blanketed homes, cars, road signs, bird feeders, patio furniture and trees as the fungus has spread uncontrollably, fed by alcohol vapors wafting from charred oak barrels of aging Jack Daniel’s whiskey.

https://www.bostonglobe.com/2023/03/...ennessee-town/
L.J.Steele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2023, 10:43 AM   #2762
Daigoro
 
Daigoro's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Meifumado
Default Re: Real-Life Weirdness

Some new specialisations for your Polearm skill for late-TL 8, early-TL 9 settings.

https://soranews24.com/2023/03/13/ja...vids%e3%80%91/
__________________
Collaborative Settings:
Cyberpunk: Duopoly Nation
Space Opera: Behind the King's Eclipse
And heaps of forum collabs, 30+ and counting!
Daigoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2023, 01:04 PM   #2763
sgtcallistan
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Chatham, Kent, England
Default Re: Real-Life Weirdness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daigoro View Post
Some new specialisations for your Polearm skill for late-TL 8, early-TL 9 settings.

https://soranews24.com/2023/03/13/ja...vids%e3%80%91/
Wow, looks like the old 'sleeve-entangler' has had an upgrade.
sgtcallistan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2023, 04:45 PM   #2764
William
 
William's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Upper Peninsula of Michigan
Default Re: Real-Life Weirdness

These are sodegarami and sasumata - they are described in GURPS Martial Arts on p. 224 and given stats on p. 230. I suppose this spring-loaded version might offer a bonus to an initial attack at the cost of a slower re-Ready.

-----

Another weapon set practically begging to be put into the hands of an ultra-strong demon fighter, apparently a very large one who uses sword-and-board style: from Japan's Kofun period archaeologists have unearthed a seven-foot iron sword and 1 foot x 2 foot bronze mirror shaped into a shield, buried in a Kofun period (ca 4th century CE) grave. They believe the items, far too heavy for ordinary military use, were apotropaic.

What they didn't find was an inhabitant of the grave, so... maybe someone out there wants his stuff back?
William is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2023, 02:00 PM   #2765
Varyon
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Default Re: Real-Life Weirdness

Quote:
Originally Posted by William View Post
What they didn't find was an inhabitant of the grave, so... maybe someone out there wants his stuff back?
Yeah, a coffin without a body is always good story fodder, but when teamed up with an oversized sword and a rather heavy mirror shield, well...
__________________
GURPS Overhaul
Varyon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2023, 07:54 AM   #2766
Anaraxes
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Default Re: Real-Life Weirdness

Scientific flights over Anarctica have discovered a perfectly rectangular iceberg. They of course claim it's entirely natural. But I'm sure you know better. Dimensions of the slab weren't reported, so for all we know they're in the ratio 1:4:9.

Egyptologists recommend not opening a giant ice sarcophagus, even if it is drawing ever closer to civilization.

Most reports fail to mention that there's a series of these objects being generated and dispatched toward the north, as revealed in a companion photo from the same flight. See over the wingtip of the plane, hidden behind the engine on the left.


NASA press release
Anaraxes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2023, 08:56 AM   #2767
Anders
 
Anders's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Gothenburg, Sweden
Default Re: Real-Life Weirdness

Quote:
Originally Posted by William View Post
from Japan's Kofun period archaeologists have unearthed a seven-foot iron sword and 1 foot x 2 foot bronze mirror shaped into a shield, buried in a Kofun period (ca 4th century CE) grave. They believe the items, far too heavy for ordinary military use, were apotropaic.
Do they want 7-foot mummies who seek to reclaim their grave goods? Because this is how you get them.
__________________
“When you arise in the morning think of what a privilege it is to be alive, to think, to enjoy, to love ...” Marcus Aurelius
Anders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2023, 09:19 AM   #2768
Varyon
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Default Re: Real-Life Weirdness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anders View Post
Do they want 7-foot mummies who seek to reclaim their grave goods? Because this is how you get them.
Depends on how the sword was meant to be wielded. If it was an oversized greatsword, 7-foot-tall mummies might show up. But if it were a more appropriately-sized one, you're looking at 8-footers (Hakushakusama's brother, perhaps). And if it were the equivalent of an arming sword, you'd be dealing with 13-footers instead.
__________________
GURPS Overhaul
Varyon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2023, 10:36 PM   #2769
cptbutton
 
cptbutton's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Default Re: Real-Life Weirdness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anaraxes View Post
Scientific flights over Anarctica have discovered a perfectly rectangular iceberg. They of course claim it's entirely natural. But I'm sure you know better. Dimensions of the slab weren't reported, so for all we know they're in the ratio 1:4:9.

Egyptologists recommend not opening a giant ice sarcophagus, even if it is drawing ever closer to civilization.

Most reports fail to mention that there's a series of these objects being generated and dispatched toward the north, as revealed in a companion photo from the same flight. See over the wingtip of the plane, hidden behind the engine on the left.


NASA press release
I read about this in "The Ice People" by René Barjavel.

It won't end well.
__________________
--
Burma!
cptbutton is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2023, 03:22 PM   #2770
Dalillama
 
Dalillama's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Default Re: Real-Life Weirdness

Mountain villages with a culture, religion, and economy based on going down cliffs to collect the entheogenic honey found nowhere else. If that's not the perfect destination for a fetch quest, I don't lnow what is.
Dalillama is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
blueberry muffin, fermi paradox

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Fnords are Off
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 10:06 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2024, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.