Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 04-08-2011, 08:02 PM   #11
Anthony

Default Re: Abilities that Cost ST, HT, IQ, DX, Will, etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Langy View Post
Even without death being a possible consequence, penalties to attributes have significantly worse effects than damage to FP or HP.
Yeah, but anyone built on 'spend X for benefit Y' will design the character with sufficient reserves of X for whatever they want to spend. In any case, if the recovery rate of lost attribute points is similar to health recovery rates, as are the risks, modeling based on costs hp seems reasonable.
Quote:
Also: Costs HP/FP price is not impacted by HP/FP regeneration rates. If they were, having Regeneration would reduce the impact of Costs HP/FP.
They probably should be, though. Regeneration plus costs HP/FP is rather abusable.
Anthony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2011, 08:52 PM   #12
JCurwen3

Quote:
Also: Costs HP/FP price is not impacted by HP/FP regeneration rates. If they were, having Regeneration would reduce the impact of Costs HP/FP.
No, they're not impacted by Regeneration. But their price is impacted by their normal non-Regeneration-enhanced recovery rates. That is, for someone without Fit or Very Fit (which double recovery rate) it's 1 FP every 10 minutes, and for someone without Very Rapid Healing (doubles) it's 1 HP every full day of rest and decent food (assuming you pass your HT roll). That's much much slower a recovery rate for HP and is definitely an inescapable factor of the price of Costs HP.
Old 04-08-2011, 08:58 PM   #13
JCurwen3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony View Post
Yeah, but anyone built on 'spend X for benefit Y' will design the character with sufficient reserves of X for whatever they want to spend. In any case, if the recovery rate of lost attribute points is similar to health recovery rates, as are the risks, modeling based on costs hp seems reasonable.
Yes - if I wanted a Costs (Attribute) that had attribute losses recover at the same rate as HP (that is, 1 HP per day of rest and decent food if you make a HT roll, or double that if you have Very Rapid Healing), then I would do my scaling off of Costs HP instead.
Old 04-08-2011, 09:01 PM   #14
JCurwen3

Quote:
Yeah, pretty much (note: recovery rate for lost attribute points is thus 0.3 character points per minute), though I might go with something simpler (say, 15% per point of ST or HT, 30% per point of DX or IQ, every hour you recover either 1 DX, 1 IQ, 2 ST, or 2 HT). Note that this is pure house rules, and is, weirdly, a higher limitation value than temporary disadvantage, but that's probably because it's cumulative.

Oh, and if it recovers like HP loss instead of like fatigue loss, it's probably 5% per 2 character points (you can basically spend HP as FP).
If I wanted the ST, HT, DX, or IQ losses to work the way they do in Affliction with Attribute Penalty (where they don't affect several secondary characteristics), then I'd scale it with the attributes at half cost (5 for ST and HT, 10 for DX and IQ), as they're valued in the Affliction modifier.
Old 04-08-2011, 10:45 PM   #15
BaHalus

Temporary disadvantage with extended duration on the limitation for a higher limitation value is a easier way, I think. Instead of recover at the end of the use you would recover at the end of the extra time.
BaHalus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2011, 11:54 PM   #16
jeff_wilson
Computer Scientist

Another way to do this is to have abilities that are only powered by ER, then buy the ER as an alternative ability of your stats.

The Campaigns of William Stoddard
jeff_wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2011, 12:08 AM   #17
JCurwen3

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeff_wilson View Post
Another way to do this is to have abilities that are only powered by ER, then buy the ER as an alternative ability of your stats.
Anthony suggested essentially the same thing. But I'm not sure how this would work. If you buy the ER as an alternative ability of one of your stats, how does the stat get lowered if you spend the ER? Could you give me an example or explain this concept mechanically? It sounds like a really cool idea but I'm still confused about how it works.
Old 04-09-2011, 12:16 AM   #18
jeff_wilson
Computer Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCurwen3 View Post
Anthony suggested essentially the same thing. But I'm not sure how this would work. If you buy the ER as an alternative ability of one of your stats, how does the stat get lowered if you spend the ER? Could you give me an example or explain this concept mechanically? It sounds like a really cool idea but I'm still confused about how it works.
The stat is lowered when you switch each level from stat the the equivalent points in ER - and then the energy in the reserve is spent on powering the overt ability, as part of the same action. The AA rules prevent the depleted ER from being switched back to stats until the ER has recovered, at least enough to cover a level of the converted stat.

The Campaigns of William Stoddard
jeff_wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2011, 01:14 AM   #19
JCurwen3

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeff_wilson View Post
The stat is lowered when you switch each level from stat the the equivalent points in ER - and then the energy in the reserve is spent on powering the overt ability, as part of the same action. The AA rules prevent the depleted ER from being switched back to stats until the ER has recovered, at least enough to cover a level of the converted stat.
Thanks! That's a pretty cool way to do that.
Old 04-09-2011, 12:41 PM   #20
Not another shrubbery

Quote:
Yeah, pretty much (note: recovery rate for lost attribute points is thus 0.3 character points per minute), though I might go with something simpler (say, 15% per point of ST or HT, 30% per point of DX or IQ, every hour you recover either 1 DX, 1 IQ, 2 ST, or 2 HT). Note that this is pure house rules, and is, weirdly, a higher limitation value than temporary disadvantage, but that's probably because it's cumulative.

Oh, and if it recovers like HP loss instead of like fatigue loss, it's probably 5% per 2 character points (you can basically spend HP as FP).
Figuring the value of Costs Attribute that way looks right, but if you're modeling it on Leech, shouldn't the recovery rate be equal to FP recovery, just like it is for Leech victims?
Not another shrubbery is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ability, affliction, attribute, attribute penalty, attributes, costs