Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 06-14-2021, 03:45 PM   #1
Coinage

Default Template for Spirit of the Mob

Are there stats or a template for the "Spirit of the Mob" (a.k.a. SOTM) as depicted in GURPS Thaumatology: Urban Magics, pages 45-46? I am particularly interested in the notion that these spirits are "a counteragents to other sorts of horrifying entities", and act as "a kind of psychic immune system that protects human beings against unnatural horrors" (GTUM46).

The thing I am getting stuck on is how the SOTM interacts with humans. Would it be a form of possession? Would it be a form of affliction?
Coinage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2021, 05:30 AM   #2
Prince Charon

Default Re: Template for Spirit of the Mob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coinage View Post
The thing I am getting stuck on is how the SOTM interacts with humans. Would it be a form of possession? Would it be a form of affliction?
Might not be either (it represents something that's already inside us), but I'd say possession is generally a closer match than affliction.

"The more corrupt a government, the more it legislates."
-- Tacitus

Five Earths, All in a Row. Updated 12/17/2022: Apocrypha: Bridges out of Time, Part I has been posted.
Prince Charon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2021, 12:43 PM   #3
Coinage

Okay, are there any books or supplements that cover possession of an entire group of people?
Old 06-15-2021, 12:59 PM   #4
johndallman
Night Watchman

You want Social Engineering, pp. 71-72. That describes ordinary mobs, which become violent if the mob fails a roll against its average Will. A mob spirit showing up is going to act as a negative modifier on the Will roll; I'd assess the penalty according to the spirit's exact interests and how closely the situation matches them.
johndallman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2021, 10:56 AM   #5
Coinage

Okay, if I read Social Engineering correctly, then a Mob is, for the purpose of handling Possession, an singular entity. I would role a Quick Contest of the would-be Posessor's IQ vs the average Will of all the people in the Mob. If the Possessor succeed's, then the Mob is possessed, and could grow.

For added bonus, the Possessor entity could grant the Mob the ability to generate a form of Neutralize. The Possession advantage does allow the Possessor to keep it's mental traits, so if the Possessor has the ability to neutralize, then it should be bestowed upon the Mob. I could also add the Enhancement "No Signature" to make it hard to determine when the Possession is taking place.

This creates that real "torches & pitchforks" threat often seen in movies.

Tags
social enginering, spirit of the mob