Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 10-11-2020, 09:39 AM   #1
AlexanderHowl

Default Attributes as Abilities and Alternative Abilities [Powers]

I am curious, does anyone use Alternative Abilities with Attributes as Abilities? For example, I was thinking of a psionic character that could repurpose Mind Shield 10 (Psionic, -10%) [36] into IQ+2 (Psionic, -10%) [36]. Since IQ+2 would be an AA of Mind Shield 10, it would only cost 8 CP. The setting rationalale would be that the character shifts psionic energy from telepathic protection to cognitive enhancement.
AlexanderHowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2020, 11:48 AM   #2
transmetahuman

Default Re: Attributes as Abilities and Alternative Abilities [Powers]

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexanderHowl View Post
I am curious, does anyone use Alternative Abilities with Attributes as Abilities? For example, I was thinking of a psionic character that could repurpose Mind Shield 10 (Psionic, -10%) [36] into IQ+2 (Psionic, -10%) [36]. Since IQ+2 would be an AA of Mind Shield 10, it would only cost 8 CP. The setting rationalale would be that the character shifts psionic energy from telepathic protection to cognitive enhancement.
Offhand, I don't see any reason why not, especially if it was conceptualized as a sort of internal Telepathy raising cognitive function that could be diverted into forming a Mind Shield (no mechanical difference whatsoever, but for some reason it just feels like a more comfortable rationale to me).

I was originally thinking it could just be natural IQ, and that their version of a Mind Shield simply took a bit of concentration that made them a little distracted and less sharp than they would otherwise be. But I don't know if I would let a non-power-based attribute be switched out like that. I probably would allow -2 IQ as a Temporary Disadvantage when using the Mind Shield, though, for much less of a cost savings.

The first version does open up a bit of a potential issue in "officially" (in your world) allowing mental stat boosts to be justified as a Telepathy ability, which might get out of hand.

Last edited by transmetahuman; 10-11-2020 at 11:55 AM.
transmetahuman is offline   Reply With Quote