Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS > GURPS Character Assistant

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-20-2021, 08:32 PM   #31
cvannrederode
 
cvannrederode's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: Pennsylvania
Default Re: GCA5 Beta Preview available now

Quote:
Originally Posted by Armin View Post
I had never even heard of this feature until now. Seems kinda iffy on Microsoft's part that they don't *tell you* that some program you have not whitelisted is trying to access the folders you protected.
I know this is few months old, but here's some info I found on windowscentral.com:

Quote:
On Windows 10, "Controlled folder access" is an intrusion-prevention feature available with Microsoft Defender Exploit Guard, which is part of the Microsoft Defender Antivirus. It's been designed primarily to stop ransomware from encrypting and taking your data hostage, but it also protects files from unwanted changes from other malicious applications.

The anti-ransomware feature is optional on Windows 10. When enabled, it uses a mechanism to track the apps (executable files, scripts, and DLLs), trying to make changes to files in the protected folders. If the app is malicious or not recognized, the feature will block the attempt in real-time, and you'll receive a notification of the suspicious activity.
It appears to be a default off option in Windows Security->Virus & threat protection->Ransomware protection with the explanation "Protect files, folders, and memory areas on your device from unauthorized changes by unfriendly applications"

Perhaps this is another consequence of having an unsigned application? (not recognized)
cvannrederode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2021, 11:30 AM   #32
Armin
GCA Prime
 
Armin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Portland, OR
Default Re: GCA5 Beta Preview available now

Quote:
Originally Posted by cvannrederode View Post
Perhaps this is another consequence of having an unsigned application? (not recognized)
I suppose that is possible, yes.
__________________
Armin D. Sykes | My GCA page
I am working on the new GCA as fast as my life allows. I post updates here.
Armin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2021, 10:43 PM   #33
MeddlingMonk
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Albuquerque, NM
Default Re: GCA5 Beta Preview available now [Second release out now!]

Is there any possibility than GCA5 will work with Mono? If so, can you provide the files without the installer, so I can try it on my Linux system?
MeddlingMonk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2021, 12:16 PM   #34
Armin
GCA Prime
 
Armin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Portland, OR
Default Re: GCA5 Beta Preview available now [Second release out now!]

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeddlingMonk View Post
Is there any possibility than GCA5 will work with Mono? If so, can you provide the files without the installer, so I can try it on my Linux system?
I'm afraid that all Mono evaluation so far has resulted in failure. There are a bunch of things in GCA5 that simply don't work in Mono, apparently.
__________________
Armin D. Sykes | My GCA page
I am working on the new GCA as fast as my life allows. I post updates here.
Armin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2021, 02:45 PM   #35
flyingwombat
 
flyingwombat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Alameda, CA
Default Re: GCA5 Beta Preview available now [Second release out now!]

I just downloaded GCA5 beta to check it out.
__________________
Fraser: "Could you elucidate, sir?"
Welsh: "No, no. Not since the late sixties."
Ray: "That's Canadian for explain." --- from "due South" episode Seeing Is Believing
flyingwombat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2021, 05:12 PM   #36
Alden Loveshade
 
Alden Loveshade's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Hmm, looks like Earth, circa CE 2020+
Default Re: GCA5 Beta Preview available now [Second release out now!]

I believe I've used GCA4 for every Fourth Edition GURPS character I've created. Among other things, it tremendously speeds up the process of creating mages because you don't have to look up prerequisite spells.

One thing I do wonder, though, is if something's changed. GCA4 includes templates that don't display their details. For example, if I use the template for an elf from GURPS Fantasy, GCA4 doesn't list Magery 0, Perfect Balance, Unaging, Voice, etc. under Advantages. I would much prefer to have them listed, so often don't use the pregenerated racial templates for that reason. Is there a way to display the details in GCA5?
__________________
Online interview of myself and one of my awaiting-publication GURPS Fantasy Folk: Elves characters
Exchange Students (fantasy/horror/science fiction anthology including my story set in my GURPS galaxy)
Alden Loveshade is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2021, 09:40 PM   #37
Stormcrow
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Ronkonkoma, NY
Default Re: GCA5 Beta Preview available now [Second release out now!]

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alden Loveshade View Post
GCA4 includes templates that don't display their details. For example, if I use the template for an elf from GURPS Fantasy, GCA4 doesn't list Magery 0, Perfect Balance, Unaging, Voice, etc. under Advantages. I would much prefer to have them listed, so often don't use the pregenerated racial templates for that reason. Is there a way to display the details in GCA5?
You need to remove the owns(), locks(), and hides() tags from each template. Just deleting them after you add the template probably isn't enough; I can only get it to work by saving a new GDF file with the altered template, then loading a new character with the custom GDF file included. You might even have to restart GCA. I don't fully understand exactly what voodoo combination makes it work. Then you can load the template and the traits will be spread out through the character instead of listed under the template.
Stormcrow is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2021, 10:27 AM   #38
Alden Loveshade
 
Alden Loveshade's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Hmm, looks like Earth, circa CE 2020+
Default Re: GCA5 Beta Preview available now [Second release out now!]

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormcrow View Post
You need to remove the owns(), locks(), and hides() tags from each template. Just deleting them after you add the template probably isn't enough; I can only get it to work by saving a new GDF file with the altered template, then loading a new character with the custom GDF file included. You might even have to restart GCA. I don't fully understand exactly what voodoo combination makes it work. Then you can load the template and the traits will be spread out through the character instead of listed under the template.
I appreciate the info. Does that mean the original template is still there, but you're creating a new version of it that displays those things (Advantages, etc. that are in the template)?

Honestly, though, I'm prefer having a setting in GCA5 where I could simply click something to display the characteristics on a character sheet.
__________________
Online interview of myself and one of my awaiting-publication GURPS Fantasy Folk: Elves characters
Exchange Students (fantasy/horror/science fiction anthology including my story set in my GURPS galaxy)
Alden Loveshade is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2021, 10:31 AM   #39
Alden Loveshade
 
Alden Loveshade's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Hmm, looks like Earth, circa CE 2020+
Default Re: GCA5 Beta Preview available now [Second release out now!]

GCA 5 or GCA 4.2?


I've always thought of GURPS Character Assistant 4 as being GCA for 4th edition. GCA5 sounds rather like this would be a version for GURPS 5th Edition (which as far as I know isn't currently planned).

Might it be better to call this GCA 4.2 or something similar that has a 4 to correlate it with 4th Edition? Just a suggestion.
__________________
Online interview of myself and one of my awaiting-publication GURPS Fantasy Folk: Elves characters
Exchange Students (fantasy/horror/science fiction anthology including my story set in my GURPS galaxy)
Alden Loveshade is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2021, 11:11 AM   #40
Armin
GCA Prime
 
Armin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Portland, OR
Default Re: GCA5 Beta Preview available now [Second release out now!]

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alden Loveshade View Post
I believe I've used GCA4 for every Fourth Edition GURPS character I've created. Among other things, it tremendously speeds up the process of creating mages because you don't have to look up prerequisite spells.

One thing I do wonder, though, is if something's changed. GCA4 includes templates that don't display their details. For example, if I use the template for an elf from GURPS Fantasy, GCA4 doesn't list Magery 0, Perfect Balance, Unaging, Voice, etc. under Advantages. I would much prefer to have them listed, so often don't use the pregenerated racial templates for that reason. Is there a way to display the details in GCA5?
Within GCA5, you've got buttons on the third toolbar for Hidden and Components. Components are the things that make up templates that own all their parts (their costs are combined into the template itself). They'll be shown under the owner in the list the owner is a part of. Hidden items are, well, anything hidden, which is also most components on older templates, but also a lot of 'helper' attributes and such.

Check those to see everything globally. Most Sheets will have their own settings for whether to show those or not. On the Official sheet it's under Show Hidden Traits and Show Component Traits down near the bottom of Settings.
__________________
Armin D. Sykes | My GCA page
I am working on the new GCA as fast as my life allows. I post updates here.
Armin is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
gca5

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Fnords are Off
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 08:30 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.