Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 12-11-2009, 12:50 PM   #1
Kirklyn

Default TL Changes

Hey,

It's been a long time since I used my 3rd edition Ultra-tech rules but I am attempting to run a Sci-Fi game using 4th edition. I seem to recall rules for using weapon or gear in later TL's than introduced. For instance, if you were using a Laser that was introduced at TL 9 but your world was TL 10, the laser would do more damage or have increased ammo, etc. I can't seem to find this rule in 4th edition Ultra-Tech. Has it been changed or am I remembering the rules wrong from 3rd edition?
Kirklyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2009, 01:03 PM   #2
David Johnston2

Default Re: TL Changes

That rule is no longer used. Many technologies contain in their entry word on how they improve with later advancement, while others simply would not improve. The cost "decrease" is handled by people of higher TL having more income anyway.
David Johnston2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2009, 01:05 PM   #3
baakyocalder

In general, Ultra-Tech 4e lists the changes in gear efficiency in the specific gear listings.

For power cells, a crucial part of ultra-tech weapons, using alternate power cells rules can be found on page 19 under 'Jury-Rigging Power Cells.'

For lasers, they start in Ultratech 4e at TL 10 if you want the killing lasers of GURPS 3e. Laser types change instead of the beam, meaning you get damage up with a new laser form in Ultratech 4e.

However, the old rule of gear improving is important for armor. FREX: A light infantry helmet at TL9 gives the wearer DR 18 in areas the helmet protects. At TL 10, the helmet gives DR 24. At TL 12, the armor gives DR 48 (see page 176). This is in a table, meaning improvements in the light infantry helmet are fairly easy to find. The rest would be in the text.

It takes a while to get used to, but you'll find that Mr. Pulver's new version of Ultratech is even better than the old versions GURPS fans came to know and love.

Waiting For: Schedule Sanity to Play Car Wars and my Fnordcon special alt Car Wars cards!
baakyocalder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2009, 05:43 PM   #4
vicky_molokh
GURPS FAQ Keeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by baakyocalder View Post
In general, Ultra-Tech 4e lists the changes in gear efficiency in the specific gear listings.

For power cells, a crucial part of ultra-tech weapons, using alternate power cells rules can be found on page 19 under 'Jury-Rigging Power Cells.'

For lasers, they start in Ultratech 4e at TL 10 if you want the killing lasers of GURPS 3e. Laser types change instead of the beam, meaning you get damage up with a new laser form in Ultratech 4e.

However, the old rule of gear improving is important for armor. FREX: A light infantry helmet at TL9 gives the wearer DR 18 in areas the helmet protects. At TL 10, the helmet gives DR 24. At TL 12, the armor gives DR 48 (see page 176). This is in a table, meaning improvements in the light infantry helmet are fairly easy to find. The rest would be in the text.

It takes a while to get used to, but you'll find that Mr. Pulver's new version of Ultratech is even better than the old versions GURPS fans came to know and love.
As far as I know there is no direct listing of Cell improvement rates as per TL. One has to do some heavy guessing based on several books (IIRC the old Technomancer or something - highly dubious sources, highly dubious memory, so correct me somebody please).
Old 12-12-2009, 07:09 PM   #5
Darekun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Molokh View Post
As far as I know there is no direct listing of Cell improvement rates as per TL.
Yup, I ran into that problem myself when designing TL12 FELs. The numbers have changed between editions, too, particularly since high TLs were drastically changed. However, the numbers are in there, sort of - explosive ratings in pounds of TNT are proportional to energy content(for battery-type explosives, at least), so use the REFs given under Exploding Power Cells(p19) to convert operating times.
Darekun is offline   Reply With Quote