Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 07-01-2015, 06:03 PM   #1
Captain Joy

Default Mitigating Disadvantages w/o Self Control Number

Are there any tried and true methods of mitigating Disadvantages that don't have a Self Control number?

I welcome attempts to sell me appropriate GURPS titles. E.g. it won't surprise me a bit if something in the Power Ups line addresses this.

This came up because I want my to Star Trek Andorians to be paranoid, and the stock Paranoid disadvantage seems to qualitatively fit the bill; but as written, the Disadvantage is just too debilitating. Something like adding a Self Control number might be all it needs, but I'm wanting to make sure I price it fairly and avoid unintended consequences.

EDIT: If you want to see my current solution, jump to post #11.

Last edited by Captain Joy; 03-18-2023 at 09:59 AM. Reason: spelling
Captain Joy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2015, 06:08 PM   #2
Calvin

Default Re: Mitigating Disadvantages w/o Self Control Number

In situations like this I use the % chance of resistance against the given self control number as a benchmark. For example, 12 gives a 75% chance of resistance, 9 gives a 37.5% chance, etc. Though paranoia is a hard thing to quantify in percentages.
Calvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2015, 06:28 PM   #3
Eukie

Self-control rolls are against 6, 9, 12, and 15. We can extend this sequence to cover the range 0-3-6-9-12-15-18-21 with each step costing 50% of the base cost. Hence, rolling against a self-control number of 18 is worth 0 points, while the guaranteed failure of rolling less than 0 is worth x3 the usual cost.

If a disadvantage applies all the time, you might then assume that it has a self-control number of 0, and an effective triple cost. If it gave 30 points, giving it a self-control number of 12 would reduce it's value to 10 points.
Eukie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2015, 06:30 PM   #4
Phantasm

I see nothing wrong with adding Self-Control ratings to most other mental, not-self-imposed disads that lack it, like Paranoid and Callous. (For the purposes of this, however, I wouldn't allow it on Pacifism.)

"But mom, I don't wanna go back in the dungeon!"

The GURPS Marvel Universe Reboot Project A-G, H-R, and S-Z, and its not-a-wiki-really web adaptation.
Ranoc, a Muskets-and-Magery Renaissance Fantasy Setting
Phantasm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2015, 07:50 PM   #5
evileeyore
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbrock1031 View Post
I see nothing wrong with adding Self-Control ratings to most other mental, not-self-imposed disads that lack it, like Paranoid and Callous. (For the purposes of this, however, I wouldn't allow it on Pacifism.)
This is wisdom. There are a small host of mental and social disads that would go fine with a Self-Control mitigator.
evileeyore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2015, 07:55 PM   #6
Phantasm

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by evileeyore View Post
This is wisdom. There are a small host of mental and social disads that would go fine with a Self-Control mitigator.
And quite a few that don't, hence why I specified "not self-imposed". Quite a few mental disads are self-imposed, which adding a Self-Control Rating to would act kinda weird.

"But mom, I don't wanna go back in the dungeon!"

The GURPS Marvel Universe Reboot Project A-G, H-R, and S-Z, and its not-a-wiki-really web adaptation.
Ranoc, a Muskets-and-Magery Renaissance Fantasy Setting
Phantasm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2015, 10:55 PM   #7
weby

Quote:
And quite a few that don't, hence why I specified "not self-imposed". Quite a few mental disads are self-imposed, which adding a Self-Control Rating to would act kinda weird.
While the standard self control roll might not be the right solution, I could well imagine someone say have a code of honor that they adhere to almost always but do slip from it time to time.

A self control type mechanic and lower price might make sense for such.
weby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2015, 12:31 PM   #8
Stormcrow

If you want a character to be paranoid but not to be controlled by that paranoia, make it a quirk. A quirk is a distinctive feature or behavior that doesn't necessarily have a significant effect on game mechanics. If you want a character to be paranoid some of the time as described in the disadvantage, but not all the time, add an Accessibility limitation to Paranoia detailing what situations make the character paranoid.
Stormcrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2015, 12:51 PM   #9
Bruno

GURPS Zombies adds a "Constantly" level to self control, which gives you the baseline point cost for an always-on mental disad that you can then back-form the price for a 12-minus Self Control version to apply Self Control modifiers to normally. Spoiler: it'll end up pretty cheap compared to the always-on version, potentially approaching the quirk but with more complicated mechanics.
Bruno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2015, 01:33 PM   #10
David Johnston2

Personally I haven't seen any evidence that Andorians are insane. Suspicious of other species yes, but never without reason.
David Johnston2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
disadvantages, rules question, self-control number