Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 05-19-2021, 12:40 PM   #1
the_matrix_walker

Default Rules exemption, Max ST on weapons

Hey forum-fam.

I'm about to play an Ultimate Style! user, and I am thinking of asking the GM if I can use a rules exemption perk to remove the limit of 3xMin ST on weapons, so he can Power Blow with weapons to full effect.

Given the highly cinematic nature of an Ultimate Style!, does this seem at all reasonable, or is it just too much for a perk?
the_matrix_walker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2021, 12:59 PM   #2
Varyon

Default Re: Rules exemption, Max ST on weapons

Perhaps a leveled Perk would be more appropriate? For the first level, you'd increase your max to 5xMinST, the second to 7xMinST, then 10x, and so forth, following the Size and Speed/Range Table.

Given you're only using this to allow you to get full effect out of Power Blow, and not so Superman can decapitate Godzilla with a kitchen knife, I'd probably allow you to just ignore it for purposes of Power Blow with only a single Perk - the above would be more appropriate for being able to exceed it in general use. Alternatively, see if he'll allow you to get weapons made out of some sort of unobtanium that are more resilient then normal (the general justification for needing to limit yourself to 3xMinST is that attacking harder than that risks breaking the weapon).
Old 05-19-2021, 01:20 PM   #3
Tymathee

Location: I'd rather be alone than be with people who make me feel alone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Varyon View Post
Given you're only using this to allow you to get full effect out of Power Blow, and not so Superman can decapitate Godzilla with a kitchen knife, I'd probably allow you to just ignore it for purposes of Power Blow with only a single Perk - the above would be more appropriate for being able to exceed it in general use.
Varyon has it right, as the text for the perk from Power-Ups 2 supports this:

Quote:
As with Extra Option, exemptions that apply in cinematic
or supernatural situations should have narrow specialties. For
instance, if the GM requires material components for spells in
his campaign, the ability to ignore them is a distinct perk for
each spell.
Alternatively, I could see this as "Extra Option/Rules Exemption... but with stipulation", e.g. the Extra Option (Paper-thin Peasantry) Perk that I gave my 62-point House Cat template I posted a little while ago. It allows access to the Fodder rules from DF's Dungeons, but only for a particular "enemy type", in this case peasants/serfs/commonfolk/etc. or otherwise inconsequential NPCs.

Last edited by Tymathee; 05-19-2021 at 01:21 PM. Reason: Quoting most relevant text
Tymathee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2021, 01:06 PM   #4
lvalero

I think 1 point perk is much too cheap. I would accept a leveled perk to raise the max effective ST by 1/per level

So, for example if the Max ST of a weapon is 27 (3×9) and you want to apply a ST of 30, you need to pay [3] points

Alternatively I would accept a 1 point perk to allow any Max ST but only with a single "signature weapon". If you loose your weapon, you loose the bonus.
Old 05-19-2021, 02:27 PM   #5
Christopher R. Rice

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_matrix_walker View Post
Hey forum-fam.

I'm about to play an Ultimate Style! user, and I am thinking of asking the GM if I can use a rules exemption perk to remove the limit of 3xMin ST on weapons, so he can Power Blow with weapons to full effect.

Given the highly cinematic nature of an Ultimate Style!, does this seem at all reasonable, or is it just too much for a perk?
In my upcoming Dungeon Fantasy Denizens book I have a perk per weapon to ignore Max ST. If you want it for all weapons then multiply the cost by x5 and treat it as a wildcard perk. (This is about equal to a limited Cosmic Power modular ability.)

Latest GURPS Book: Dungeon Fantasy Denizens: Thieves
Latest TFT Book: The Sunken Library

Become a Patron!
Christopher R. Rice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2021, 02:48 PM   #6
the_matrix_walker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christopher R. Rice View Post
In my upcoming Dungeon Fantasy Denizens book I have a perk per weapon to ignore Max ST. If you want it for all weapons then multiply the cost by x5 and treat it as a wildcard perk. (This is about equal to a limited Cosmic Power modular ability.)
Nice...

If you are using a Style! that includes weapons, that's a candidate for extra-broad perks, is it not?
the_matrix_walker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2021, 02:52 PM   #7
Christopher R. Rice

Quote:
Nice...

If you are using a Style! that includes weapons, that's a candidate for extra-broad perks, is it not?
Indeed it is.

Latest GURPS Book: Dungeon Fantasy Denizens: Thieves
Latest TFT Book: The Sunken Library

Become a Patron!
Christopher R. Rice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2021, 07:20 PM   #8
malloyd

Quote:
Hey forum-fam.
I don't think it's unbalanced as a cinematic perk, but it feels wrong. This limit isn't a really feature of the *character*. It's a feature of the *weapon* - it's too small/fragile/whatever to inflict more damage. It feels like the way you should be getting around it is by modifying the weapon - buying a bigger (and hence higher Min ST) or tougher (and hence higher multiple than 3) version, at presumably a higher price and weight - not modifying the character.

Though I suppose this might still be a style perk (a version of Better Gear). The difference is the gear would have the same effect for anybody if they could get ahold of it.