Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 07-17-2021, 12:39 PM   #1
MaryAnn
Banned

Default Technique: Cutting Out

In the book Social Engineering there is a technique known as "Cutting Out", it is based on "Any Per-based social interaction skill". Does it mean that it is based on either Body Language or Detect Lies?
MaryAnn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2021, 05:23 PM   #2
Hide

Default Re: Technique: Cutting Out

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaryAnn View Post
In the book Social Engineering there is a technique known as "Cutting Out", it is based on "Any Per-based social interaction skill". Does it mean that it is based on either Body Language or Detect Lies?
Not necessarily, body language and detect lies are pretty much one sided; they could help, but they are not meant for socializing.

Both of your examples are per-based skills to process information and do not require an exchange; also, you don’t use them to influence others as you would do with interrogation, carousing, fast-talk, psychology and so on.
Old 07-18-2021, 12:15 AM   #3
MaryAnn
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hide View Post
Not necessarily, body language and detect lies are pretty much one sided; they could help, but they are not meant for socializing.

Both of your examples are per-based skills to process information and do not require an exchange; also, you don’t use them to influence others as you would do with interrogation, carousing, fast-talk, psychology and so on.
What are the "Per-based social interaction skill" then?
MaryAnn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2021, 12:37 AM   #4
Tymathee

Location: I'd rather be alone than be with people who make me feel alone.

Quote:
Be prepared to encounter the occasional outright hokey rules text in GURPS. The authors are usually pretty good at writing what they write, and Kromm does his (hard) job pretty well, but there's these odd little hiccups in the rules text unfortunately.

My advise is to ignore the discrepancies and logical fallacies you encounter in the rules text in favor of sensible houserules/homebrewing. Use what's provided in the RAW as a precedent for what you make so that your work is more or less cohesive with the RAW.
"Mom's resentful that she has to work so hard, which obscures her guilt about actually wanting to work so hard. Dad's guilty about being less driven than mom, but thinks it's wrong to feel that way, so he hides behind a smokescreen of cluelessness. Quinn wears superficiality like a suit of armor, because she's afraid of looking inside and finding absolutely nothing. And I'm so defendant that I actively work to make people dislike me so I won't feel bad when they do. Can I go now?" - Daria Morgendorffer
Tymathee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2021, 01:06 AM   #5
vicky_molokh
GURPS FAQ Keeper

Quote:
It could mean a social interaction skill floated to Perception, but I am not whswhs.
Old 07-18-2021, 01:22 AM   #6
Celjabba

Quote:
The details are on p25 of Social Engineering, approachability.

It is a per-based roll against a relevant skill, not against a skill based primarily on per.

So, if you have for example merchant at IQ+1, you could roll merchant at per +1 to spot the best target for an offer.
But if there is a small, cohesive group near you, you would roll against cutting out (merchant @per +1 -4 if using the technique at default) to isolate one specific person from the group.
You then have a +1 to the actual reaction/influence roll.

Last edited by Celjabba; 07-18-2021 at 01:57 AM.
Celjabba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2021, 01:47 AM   #7
Tymathee

"Per-based social skill" makes me think of Psychology (Applied), which honestly could be better labeled Psychology (Cold Reading). Following that, here's some tangential but related thoughts on this.

"Without prior knowledge, a practiced cold-reader can quickly obtain a great deal of information by analyzing the person's body language, age, clothing or fashion, hairstyle, gender, sexual orientation, religion, ethnicity, level of education, manner of speech, place of origin, etc." - from the Wikipedia page for Cold Reading

Sure, charlatans might wield this skill but it is more commonly utilized by sociopaths (Antisocial Personality Disorder), narcissists (Narcissistic Personality Disorder)... and autistics (Autistic Spectrum Disorder) who grow savvy to their own social fecklessness.

Narcissists and sociopaths may lack "soft empathy" (truly feeling for others) but have more "hard empathy" (intelligent identification of emotions). Autistics tend to struggle with hard empathy (hence "social fecklessness") but usually have better soft empathy. All of them benefit from Psychology (Cold Reading). Narcissists and sociopaths invest in it over their life time to better manipulate those around them, while autistics will attempt to pick up the skill to better compensate for their lacking hard empathy. Everyone benefits from learning it simply for the sake of more effective communication; rather than be presumptuous it is better to try to achieve more informed communication to be more amicable with others and have more productive discussions because you're wasting less time figuring out the nuances of the other person's identity and personality.

Given my background, I'm quite interested in the empathetically challenged. I hope this was useful ( somewhat tangential) insight.
"Mom's resentful that she has to work so hard, which obscures her guilt about actually wanting to work so hard. Dad's guilty about being less driven than mom, but thinks it's wrong to feel that way, so he hides behind a smokescreen of cluelessness. Quinn wears superficiality like a suit of armor, because she's afraid of looking inside and finding absolutely nothing. And I'm so defendant that I actively work to make people dislike me so I won't feel bad when they do. Can I go now?" - Daria Morgendorffer

Last edited by Tymathee; 07-18-2021 at 07:56 AM. Reason: Noticed a slip of labeling.
Old 07-18-2021, 02:05 AM   #8
whswhs

Quote:
Originally Posted by vicky_molokh View Post
It could mean a social interaction skill floated to Perception, but I am not whswhs.
That is exactly what it means.

I don't think we're in Oz any more.
whswhs is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2021, 05:57 AM   #9
Pursuivant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tymathee View Post
"Per-based social skill" makes me think of Psychology (Applied), which honestly could be better labeled Psychology (Cold Reading).
FWIW, the realistic version of Fortune Telling skill focuses on Cold Reading techniques, although it's more focused on using cold reading for purposes of satisfying clients.
Pursuivant is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2021, 06:18 AM   #10
Tymathee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pursuivant View Post
FWIW, the realistic version of Fortune Telling skill focuses on Cold Reading techniques, although it's more focused on using cold reading for purposes of satisfying clients.
Hmm, somewhat tangential thoughts related to this, I don't think fortune tellers are necessarily con-artists. They're more like career/life counselors more than anything, with a supposed paranormal twist. Their intentions seem to be largely benign, unless they're truly set on selling you a pack of conveniently believable lies.

Cynicism dictates Cold Reading is more often than not used with malicious intent, but it couldn't hurt to be optimistic. One of my old high schools taught a interpersonal communications class and I feel like this ought to be a skill worth teaching. The world would be a better place if we all knew how to understand each other better. Teenagers are stereotypically callous though, I couldn't help but worry that they'd weaponize it for even more deeply cutting bullying.

Tags
social engineering, techniques