Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 07-10-2010, 01:29 PM   #21
Not another shrubbery

Default Re: Cramped combat - low ceilings, narrow halls?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DouglasCole View Post
Just as a sanity check, Move 5, full Move for Joe Average, is a 6 minute mile; 10 miles an hour. What you're saying is that you think you can move through a 2 foot wide space at this speed reliably?
It does seem unlikely. Sometimes, I am so used to thinking of movement in terms of Basic Move, I forget that normal walking speed is just a Step.
Not another shrubbery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2010, 01:42 PM   #22
Anders

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruno View Post
Cats and ferrets are exceptional for being able to do that. It's because of having "floating" shoulderblades, ie not attached to the spine at hard-points.
Many rodents as well.
Old 07-10-2010, 02:19 PM   #23
Edges

Quote:
Originally Posted by DouglasCole View Post
Just as a sanity check, Move 5, full Move for Joe Average, is a 6 minute mile; 10 miles an hour. What you're saying is that you think you can move through a 2 foot wide space at this speed reliably?
I'd think there would be penalty to long-term sustained movement. But honestly, in the space of a few seconds of combat, I don't see myself being slowed down just because the walls are only 2 feet apart.

But like I said, that's just me. I would penalize many characters. Maybe call for a DX check to see if Move is changed. +3 if Skinny, -3 if overweight, Fat needs the Slippery Advantage, and Very Fat needs Slippery and Double-Jointed.

Edit: Besides, the average person can't run a 6 minute mile anyway in real life or in GURPS, in a narrow dungeon or on a track. The book gives a 7 minute mile as an example of what Move 7 can do. Move 5 can do a 10 minute mile. I'd be happy to rule that if I couldn't sprint in a narrow hall, I also couldn't calculate paced running based off sprint. So paced running in a narrow hall for someone Skinny could be 5 miles an hour (12 minute mile). I think I could do that.

Last edited by Edges; 07-10-2010 at 03:23 PM.
Edges is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cramped, crouch, posture