Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > The Fantasy Trip

Old 10-10-2022, 11:54 AM   #1
hcobb

Default Tuning the Thief template

Working through the steps to turn template into a character.

https://www.hcobb.com/tft/TFT_Thieves.html
Old 10-10-2022, 01:40 PM   #2
Axly Suregrip

Default Re: Tuning the Thief template

Nice work here and most of this makes sense. I too favor Lock/Knock over Remove Traps. But Lock/Knock does not do everything that Detect Traps & Remove Traps provides. Lock/Knock will only help with traps on locked things (doors and chests). It will not help with trip wire and pressure plate traps set in corridors, etc.

Not to mention having to rest after every door or chest.

So there is still a place on the team for a thief.
Axly Suregrip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2022, 07:34 PM   #3
jason taylor

Patron: It is hard for me to believe that real thieves will make a heist to steal a glamorous but unfenceable art object unless they were operating on commission.

Unusual Background: Cinematic thieves are just to good to learn on the job, but I could imagine being a retired covert operator. Or for a more patriotic game have the heist be a covert operation.

Pacifism: Can't harm Innocents

Cinematic thieves tend to have an "even evil has standards" approach whereby they regard doing physical violence on a job or stealing from the weak as if not immoral at least inelegant. This may or may not preclude extracurricular violence that does not fall into these categories, such as direct self-defense or pursuing vendettas. Subtle variations are allowed. Fiona on Burn Notice has been known to pistol whip innocent security guards but never liked it (Michael almost always preferred a more indirect approach). Lexi Vasiri who is one of the best cinematic thieves on tv is often violent but I never remember her being violent during a burglary or harming the innocent.

Sex Appeal

Appearance Beautiful: I once commented on a review of Blood and Treasure that the show does not have much fanservice, by saying, "Excuse me, Lexi Vasiri is a MASTER fanservice" (That was a pun on the trailer and yes, Lexi is gorgeous as well as being a master thief).

Stealth

Vow: find lover (like Neal Caffrey in White Collar), gain vengeance, etc.

Gadgeteer

Last edited by jason taylor; 10-21-2022 at 11:37 AM.
jason taylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2022, 09:31 PM   #4
hcobb

From your description, having never seen the show:

Sofia, Human, age 20
ST 8, DX 11, IQ 13, MA 10
Talents include: Alertness, Assess Value, Knife, Literacy, Master Mechanician, Recognize Value, Sex Appeal, Silent Movement, Stealth, Whip
Language: Common
Weapon: very fine dagger (1d+1), Whip (1d-1)
Special Ability/Weakness: Code of Honor & Limited Pacifist (+3 memory points)
Old 10-10-2022, 11:29 PM   #5
jason taylor

Quote:
Originally Posted by hcobb View Post
From your description, having never seen the show:

Sofia, Human, age 20
ST 8, DX 11, IQ 13, MA 10
Talents include: Alertness, Assess Value, Knife, Literacy, Master Mechanician, Recognize Value, Sex Appeal, Silent Movement, Stealth, Whip
Language: Common
Weapon: very fine dagger (1d+1), Whip (1d-1)
Special Ability/Weakness: Code of Honor & Limited Pacifist (+3 memory points)
Actually I mentioned two shows. But the thief in White Collar is a con man ahem undercover agent (it's a poacher turned gamekeeper plot in a fairly conventional cop show). Blood and Treasure is closer to a fantasy and is the spitting image of Gurps Cliffhangers. Lexi is a cinematic cat burglar and your description would go for her with a few additions. She by the way has quirk, stormily emotional. The whip and the knife would be a nice touch though she has no signature weapon in the show. In any case you are making a character of your own of course and you are doing pretty good.