Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 01-16-2023, 07:08 AM   #391
Varyon

Default Re: [Space/Thaumatology] Stargate: Fantasy - Worldbuilding thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prince Charon View Post
Giantfolk Question II
I'll go with 2 - typically only "natural" shapeshifters (like my suggested version of the Nephilim) tend to get that large in their base form, and have a smaller form that can more comfortably fit through the gates, interact with humans, etc - as well as 3 - non-shapeshifting races of such size do exist but are rare, in no small part because they can't spread as readily through the Stargates as smaller species (and large shapeshifters who can switch to a smaller form to use the Stargates).
Old 01-16-2023, 09:14 AM   #392
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

#3.

Giants and other big races are fun. And not too overpowering in Gurps, especially with High Tech.

Worlds Beyond Earth -- my blog

Check out the PbP forum! If you don't see a game you'd like, ask me about making one!
ericthered is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2023, 10:24 AM   #393
adm

4, SM+2 are not uncommon, bigger are quadrupeds, hexapeds, etc. maybe vermiform.

Last edited by adm; 01-18-2023 at 11:19 AM. Reason: I reread the question, and realized my answer was incomplete.
adm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2023, 07:47 PM   #394
Kesendeja

1 and to a lesser extent 3. In my opinion size modifier 1 and 2 are perfectly feasible. SM+3 is even workable under very specific circumstances,but is going to be rare. Magic and spirits are going to be needed if they, and anything larger, are going to be common.
Old 01-18-2023, 08:54 AM   #395
Prince Charon

Poll remains open for now, though 3 appears to be winning (note though that this doesn't mean that e.g. Nephilim or Fire Giants won't appear, it just means that SM+3 or +4 giants are rare).

Depending on how long it takes me to finish the next Question, it'll probably be posted tomorrow or the next day; if RL happens to be especially inconvenient, though, it could be as bit longer. Expect the poll to still be open until then.

"The more corrupt a government, the more it legislates."
-- Tacitus

Five Earths, All in a Row. Updated 12/17/2022: Apocrypha: Bridges out of Time, Part I has been posted.
Prince Charon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2023, 08:15 AM   #396
Prince Charon

Giantfolk Question III

Here are a few giant races that might exist in this setting. Which do you prefer, and are there any you would like to suggest?

1. Hill Giants (SM+1; resembling 'humans with gigantism,' but are healthier and breed true).

2. Sasquatch/Yeti (SM+1; It's debatable how intelligent they are, but I suggest for purposes of this thread that they're close to human intelligences (average IQ 8 or 9?), and if any live on this Earth, they have some ability that makes them hard to find most of the time; the sightings and 'evidence' people report just being the work of nature spirits and/or the ghosts of a dead-on-Earth race is also plausible).

3. Trolls (SM+1; folkloric trolls, with the sunlight weakness; possibly a spirit (Earth) infused race).

4. Ogres (SM+1; standard GURPS version, based on fantasy and folklore).

5. Nephilim (SM+1, Alternate Form at SM+3).

6. Loren'dil giants (SM+2; not necessarily from Loren'dil, though that's possible; the name is mainly to identify the template).

7. Jarilu (SM+2; a conversion from Classic GURPS Aliens).

8. Part-spirit giants (up to SM+4; probably add a Half-spirit or spirit-infused template from GURPS DF3 to the updated Classic Fantasy Folk and Classic Vikings templates - for the Vikings template, use the ST suggested in the Giant Size and Strength Table for SM+3).

9. Gigantopithecus kongi (SM+3 - a surviving magical species of Gigantopithecus, taken from Earth long ago; very robust, and able to instinctively sense ley lines, which they prefer to live near; probably not fully sapient, but smart enough to be on the list; occasionally an individual is born with gigantism, bringing them to SM+4, and even higher DR, which some argue should be designated Gigantopithecus kongi rex).

10. Something else (please specify).

Please remember to include the number(s) of your preferred option(s) when you vote.

Also, I'm probably going to start looking into templates pretty soon (not just for giant races), and since maybe it needs to be said, I'm fine with others suggesting some.

Answer: If I'm counting right, 2 and 4 each got five votes, 1 and 5 each got four, 6 and 10 (cyclops) each got three, and the rest, including 10 (low-grav human), got two vote each.

-- Tacitus

Five Earths, All in a Row. Updated 12/17/2022: Apocrypha: Bridges out of Time, Part I has been posted.

Last edited by Prince Charon; 01-23-2023 at 08:30 AM.
Old 01-19-2023, 10:04 AM   #397
Fred Brackin

Quote:
Giantfolk Question III

2 and maybe 4. Possibly even 5 depending on what other people think the word means to them. Most of the others would quickly blow the illusion that this isn't magic or even some form of alternate worlds setup.
Old 01-19-2023, 10:35 AM   #398
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

Quote:
Giantfolk Question III
1, 2, 4, 6, and 10: cyclops with tusks, maybe SM+2

Trolls that turn to stone are too overt. I'd prefer super ugly trolls that are just big. Size-based shape-changing is meh. King Kong is a hard pass.

Worlds Beyond Earth -- my blog

Check out the PbP forum! If you don't see a game you'd like, ask me about making one!
ericthered is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2023, 02:41 PM   #399
Prince Charon

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericthered View Post
10: cyclops with tusks, maybe SM+2
I knew I was leaving something out, and that was probably it.

-- Tacitus

Old 01-19-2023, 04:53 PM   #400
TGLS

Eh, they're all fine. I'd add really tall humans who developed in low gravity.
TGLS is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
aliens, fantasy, space, thaumatology, worldbuilding