Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 12-18-2022, 06:08 PM   #321
adm

Default Re: [Space/Thaumatology] Stargate: Fantasy - Worldbuilding thread

SM-2
Fereng.... erm goblins.
Old 12-19-2022, 06:29 AM   #322
Kesendeja

SM -3
Whatever the heck species Yoda and Grogu are. Along with various others.

Last edited by Kesendeja; 12-19-2022 at 10:32 AM.
Kesendeja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2022, 07:29 AM   #323
Varyon

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericthered View Post
....Ewoks
Only if they're accurately portrayed as being extremely-strong-for-their-size, vicious man-eaters.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kesendeja View Post
SM -2
Whatever the heck species Yoda and Grogu are. Along with various others.
You might want to revise that minimum SM value down a bit. While Yoda is technically SM -2, he's only just barely there - he's 0.722 yards (2'2") tall, while anything 0.7 yards tall or smaller is SM -3. Personally, I'd just call Yoda SM -3, just as I typically wouldn't treat a human who is just a bit over 6' as having Gigantism (for SM +1) - having Yoda be SM -3 is comparable to having a human who is 6'2" be SM +0.
Old 12-19-2022, 10:32 AM   #324
Kesendeja

Quote:
Originally Posted by Varyon View Post
Only if they're accurately portrayed as being extremely-strong-for-their-size, vicious man-eaters.

You might want to revise that minimum SM value down a bit. While Yoda is technically SM -2, he's only just barely there - he's 0.722 yards (2'2") tall, while anything 0.7 yards tall or smaller is SM -3. Personally, I'd just call Yoda SM -3, just as I typically wouldn't treat a human who is just a bit over 6' as having Gigantism (for SM +1) - having Yoda be SM -3 is comparable to having a human who is 6'2" be SM +0.
Consider it changed then. Just got to edit the post.
Old 12-19-2022, 10:36 AM   #325
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Varyon View Post
Yoda's very round though. He's just over two feet tall, but he's hunched over and kind of chunky.

I actually don't mind the upper end of SM-3, but experience with these sorts of projects tells me that the envelope will be pushed on this minimum, and I'm not interested in the bottom edge of SM-3.

Quote:
Hah. That is one interpretation.

Worlds Beyond Earth -- my blog

Check out the PbP forum! If you don't see a game you'd like, ask me about making one!
ericthered is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2022, 12:37 PM   #326
Fred Brackin

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericthered View Post
Yo

Hah. That is one interpretation.
Strong helps but Ewoks also need to be ingenious and very good at working in groups. There were some very big logs in those traps.
Old 12-20-2022, 12:55 PM   #327
Prince Charon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred Brackin View Post
Strong helps but Ewoks also need to be ingenious and very good at working in groups. There were some very big logs in those traps.
IQ 10ish and Chummy, perhaps? ST-wise, I'd say around 14ish, or with Super-Effort, but probably not both. They have fairly thick bodies and limbs, so just having high ST for their height is fairly plausible. Probably a small penalty to Manual DX, due to the reduced number of fingers.

Poll remains open for a few days, probably. If I have the new Question ready before Sunday, I'll post it, as I might be a bit distracted around the 25th.

"The more corrupt a government, the more it legislates."
-- Tacitus

Five Earths, All in a Row. Updated 12/17/2022: Apocrypha: Bridges out of Time, Part I has been posted.
Prince Charon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2022, 01:52 PM   #328
Varyon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prince Charon View Post
IQ 10ish and Chummy, perhaps? ST-wise, I'd say around 14ish, or with Super-Effort, but probably not both. They have fairly thick bodies and limbs, so just having high ST for their height is fairly plausible. Probably a small penalty to Manual DX, due to the reduced number of fingers.
Average IQ is hard to say for certain, but I'd probably err on being roughly human-level, yeah - they're low-tech, not stupid. Chummy indeed sounds likely. For ST, as ~SM -2 creatures (they're similar to Yoda in that they're technically SM -1, but only just barely), ST 10 would honestly be strong for their size. I'd probably go with ST 9 as the racial average (still rather strong for their size), and note their warriors tend to be ST 11 or 12, although if you really want to go the Horror route their casual consumption of sentients implies, ST 14 will probably work better. I probably wouldn't give them a manual DX penalty - two fingers and a thumb should let you manage most tasks just fine if that's what you've evolved for (but they may suffer a manual DX penalty if using tools designed for humans or other species with five-fingered hands).
Old 12-20-2022, 02:23 PM   #329
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prince Charon View Post
You do realize this will result in a three foot-teddy-bear-thing hip firing a machine gun?

I'll note that people are having lots of fun with species. The last time we did a voting project, species design was probably the funnest and most useful part of the whole thing.

Worlds Beyond Earth -- my blog

Check out the PbP forum! If you don't see a game you'd like, ask me about making one!
ericthered is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2022, 08:42 PM   #330
Inky

Some people seem to say that the battle on Endor was originally written for Wookiees and then they were replaced with Ewoks without rewriting it much. So if you wanted to make them capable of doing the things they did there, giving them stats that would make sense for full-sized Wookiees might be useful.

Tags
aliens, fantasy, space, thaumatology, worldbuilding