Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 05-13-2012, 04:51 AM   #21
vicky_molokh
GURPS FAQ Keeper

Default Re: Star Wars: Space Ships, Hyperspace Travel, Blasters, ST

Regarding spaceship combat: Spaceships #7 contains rules for combat in atmosphere, WW-style. There's also the 'Hyperdynamic Cosmos', which is basically atmospheric flight dynamic in spaaace. Between that, tweaking the acceleration values of drives (both a 'true' and a 'pseudo' sAccel), and figuring if you need a custom way of calculating to speed for sublight travel/combat, you might get the effect you want.
Old 05-13-2012, 05:30 AM   #22
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny1A.2 View Post
That's practically canonical anyway. In the movies, to use a lightsaber effectively nearly does require Force abilities.
What about General Greivous?
sir_pudding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2012, 08:10 AM   #23
Fred Brackin

Quote:
Originally Posted by sir_pudding View Post
What about General Greivous?
His comment that so and so taught him some tricks (made before he deploys the Cuisinarto Saber Attack Technique) makes the matter ambiguous. Normal tricks or Force tricks?

I would not rule that you need the Force to use lightsabers. You certainly don't need it to turn them on and use them as tools. Neither of the licensed RPGs have made lightsabers Force-only though both have let the Force enhance them greatly.
Old 05-13-2012, 08:18 AM   #24
vicky_molokh
GURPS FAQ Keeper

Make their damage scale depending on force?
Also, this being SW, why not make sabre damage scale with ST (swing) even though it seems weird to our physics? ST affects damage in both the Knights Of and just The Old Republic. (Okay, Inquisitor damage scales with Will.)
Old 05-13-2012, 08:23 AM   #25
Fred Brackin

Quote:
Originally Posted by vicky_molokh View Post
why not make sabre damage scale with ST (swing) )
Doesn't square with Qui-Gon just pushing his saber through the blast door lock instead of swinging it. Probably other examples too.

That said, saber blades are solid enough to parry with and to push agaisnt your opponent in the corps-a-corps. I'd at least let you do Beats and Disamrs against one.
Old 05-13-2012, 08:45 AM   #26
Maz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred Brackin View Post
I'd at least let you do Beats and Disamrs against one.
This. This is what I would suggest as well.

No need for all sort of weird or alternative rules. Just using the rules as is :)
Maz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2012, 08:46 AM   #27
vicky_molokh
GURPS FAQ Keeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maz View Post
This. This is what I would suggest as well.

No need for all sort of weird or alternative rules. Just using the rules as is :)
I don't think Beats and Disarms are incentive enough to invest in ST. Not enough to make much of a difference, anyway.
Old 05-13-2012, 08:50 AM   #28
Refplace

Quote:
Originally Posted by vicky_molokh View Post
I don't think Beats and Disarms are incentive enough to invest in ST. Not enough to make much of a difference, anyway.
Probably not, though I suggested a limitation on Striking ST earlier in the thread.
It seems to me the styles and such described above sound like a Beat was used and I felt it was clean and simple yet still got the feel the Op was looking for.
However it was passed over with no comment so maybe not.
Refplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2012, 09:16 AM   #29
JackRackham

Quote:
Originally Posted by Refplace View Post
Probably not, though I suggested a limitation on Striking ST earlier in the thread.
It seems to me the styles and such described above sound like a Beat was used and I felt it was clean and simple yet still got the feel the Op was looking for.
However it was passed over with no comment so maybe not.
Yeah, I would have responded anyway, had I understood fully, but I was distracted by other posts and getting a bunch of stuff together for the game. Yeah, though, it's not what I'm looking for. I'm looking for a way to make the actual attribute more relevant, and to make a certain archetype viable in lightsaber fighting.

Beats are useful for these purposes, for sure, but they're not enough, as they appear to take a turn, much like a feint and what I was looking to emulate was Anakin simply striking deliberately and with force, such that blocking his attacks was physically daunting (for which, yes, one could still take striking ST, but I really want the base attribute to work).

Otherwise, in response to some others here, lightsabers in my world won't work without the force. The weilder uses the force to contain the plasma that makes up the blade. Without it, you have a single-use plasma ejector at best. Of course, that would be too dangerous, so a force-switch is also built into almost all lightsabers, so that they won't even turn on without the force.

In addition, lightsaber blades cut through most things effortlessly, so I don't think ST-based damage makes a lot of sense.
JackRackham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2012, 09:20 AM   #30
David Johnston2

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackRackham View Post
Yeah, I would have responded anyway, had I understood fully, but I was distracted by other posts and getting a bunch of stuff together for the game. Yeah, though, it's not what I'm looking for. I'm looking for a way to make the actual attribute more relevant, and to make a certain archetype viable in lightsaber fighting.

Beats are useful for these purposes, for sure, but they're not enough, as they appear to take a turn, much like a feint and what I was looking to emulate was Anakin simply striking deliberately and with force, such that blocking his attacks was physically daunting .
Anakin was stronger than he was dexterous so he took a style that had an attribute substitution perk so he could base his skill off his ST.
David Johnston2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
spaceship, spaceship battles, spaceships, star wars, starships