Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 05-26-2011, 07:27 AM   #11
sn0wball

Default Re: Artificial Intelligence

Assuming a usual adventuring group, sharing the use of a starship to take them through the adventure, I would not charge the AI points for it. After all, all PCs share the usage of the ship, whereas it has exclusive access to its robot body. Why not just design the AI with the robot body, ignore the starship as such and have the AI buy some special advantage for its ability to interface with the ship ?
Old 05-26-2011, 09:42 AM   #12
davidtmoore

Quote:
Originally Posted by vicky_molokh View Post
IMHO Possession isn't worth the trouble unless the AI routinely possesses other shells. If it's only about being able to control the ship and walk the cybershell for the planetary quests, I would just invest in a direct interface between the cybershell and the spaceship, and keep the AI permanently in the shell's computer.
It's truer to the concept, and I like to think of it as an investment. He'll have the ability to hack other shells, as long as he can set up a connection, and can pick up more shells in play.
Old 05-26-2011, 12:06 PM   #13
GreaterDane

More info on the game concepts:

The AI PC will be in charge of a powerful vessel indeed, but I'm gonna throw in some disadvantages on the PC to reflect that he cannot open up without a legal order to let fly all guns and annihilate whatever is in his sights. While not opposed to having him pay for the ship, I'd rather have the ship be something the PCs get in game and each can use to a degree. Thus I will not having them invest in said vessel.

EDIT: As for books, right now I'm just sticking my nose into GURPS Characters, but I'd be willing to look into others.

Last edited by GreaterDane; 05-26-2011 at 12:10 PM.
GreaterDane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2011, 12:13 PM   #14
vicky_molokh
GURPS FAQ Keeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreaterDane View Post
More info on the game concepts:

The AI PC will be in charge of a powerful vessel indeed, but I'm gonna throw in some disadvantages on the PC to reflect that he cannot open up without a legal order to let fly all guns and annihilate whatever is in his sights. While not opposed to having him pay for the ship, I'd rather have the ship be something the PCs get in game and each can use to a degree. Thus I will not having them invest in said vessel.
In which case I even more strongly advise to keep the ship as Equipment.

Just what is the AI supposed to cover? Autopilot? Turret system? Or is it just a robot who happens to be learning how to use the ship after getting it?

Are you planning to need/use GURPS Spaceships, or just GURPS Basic Set and GURPS Ultra-Tech?
Old 05-26-2011, 01:32 PM   #15
GreaterDane

Quote:
Originally Posted by vicky_molokh View Post
In which case I even more strongly advise to keep the ship as Equipment.

Just what is the AI supposed to cover? Autopilot? Turret system? Or is it just a robot who happens to be learning how to use the ship after getting it?

Are you planning to need/use GURPS Spaceships, or just GURPS Basic Set and GURPS Ultra-Tech?
I'm not sure yet, but gunner seems a good option, and general support and quirky side-comments. Largely depends on what the PC playing the AI would want it to do. Science, comms, investigation or whatever he wants and i build around that. Having the ship as shared equipment seems the best option here yes.

What does Spaceships and Ultra-Tech bring to the table that would be worthwhile?
Old 05-26-2011, 01:39 PM   #16
lexington

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreaterDane View Post
What does Spaceships and Ultra-Tech bring to the table that would be worthwhile?
Rules for making balanced spaceships and mountains of futuristic technology.
lexington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2011, 01:56 PM   #17
davidtmoore

Quote:
Originally Posted by lexington View Post
Rules for making balanced spaceships and mountains of futuristic technology.
Also more detailed stuff for AIs hosted in robot bodies; although again, Changing Times is probably your best bet.
Old 05-26-2011, 02:29 PM   #18
vicky_molokh
GURPS FAQ Keeper

Basically, Spaceships makes running space battles, exploration etc. more detailed and fun.
UT is a semi-dubious catalog of futuristic equipment (mostly stuff smaller than a tank).

The comment about Spaceships being about balance is somewhat misleading: under certain circumstances, some designs are vastly more powerful than others. E.g. in a world with no Point Defense turrets, missiles are deadly (which is the reason why PD is used, even in real life).
Old 05-27-2011, 02:07 AM   #19
GreaterDane

I want the Normandy from Mass Effect 2 as their ship?
Old 05-27-2011, 03:06 AM   #20
D10

Location: In Rio de Janeiro, where it was cyberpunk before it was cool.

Your player could be like a suitcase that originally is from the robot but could be introduced to the ship ?
D10 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
artificial intelligence, sci-fi, spaceship