Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 01-29-2010, 06:05 AM   #1
adimar

Default GURPS spaceships - Atmospheric braking

Hi all.
I stumbled into an interesting entry in wikipedia.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aerobraking
If I understand this correctly it looks like this would save half the transit fuel of space launched vehicles, since no reaction mass is "wasted" on decelerating...
I wanted to ask how you would stat Atmospheric braking systems?
What would it's limitations be?
i.e. can you decelerate from any speed? In any atmosphere density? etc...
what would be the minimum dDr of a spacecraft using this method?

10x 4 your help.
Adi
adimar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2010, 06:36 AM   #2
Phantasm

Default Re: GURPS spaceships - Atmospheric braking

Over in the Spaceships 7 thread someone mentioned gasbags. I'd look at adding one or more of those systems to your design.

Note to self: get some cash flow so I can buy Spaceships 3 through 7.

"But mom, I don't wanna go back in the dungeon!"

The GURPS Marvel Universe Reboot Project A-G, H-R, and S-Z, and its not-a-wiki-really web adaptation.
Ranoc, a Muskets-and-Magery Renaissance Fantasy Setting
Phantasm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2010, 11:29 AM   #3
Ulzgoroth

I don't think there are any constraints listed on the ability of spaceships to use aerobraking.

There also, unless I'm forgetting something, aren't any rules for skimming the edge of the atmosphere, so if you want to do anything other than ditch all your interplanetary velocity you're on your own devices.
Old 01-29-2010, 12:14 PM   #4
Snoman314

There are plenty of scenarios in that the ships in spaceships make possible where aerobraking isn't an option. Basically, you already have to be going slowly enough that you can skim the atmosphere and lose enough velocity to get below escape velocity, without having to dive in so deep that you'll burn up. Its viable when a ship is doing say, a minimum energy hohman transfer orbit, because the approach velocity to the destination planet isn't too high.
As for specific rules, I'm not sure, but I'd suggest that there should be a fairly small maximum delta-v given by each aerobraking pass. And of course if the first pass isn't enough to allow the planet to capture you in orbit, you'll have to use engines anyway.
Snoman314 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2010, 01:17 PM   #5
OneSeventeen

Yeah, so you also have to be worried, depending on the size of your ship and the velocity with respect to the planet, about what your (re)entry will do to the atmosphere and those that have a use for it. How much friction would be created by, say, Superman flying around the equator at ocean level in one second? Would that have an appreciable effect on the temperature of the air he's moving through? What if we replace Superman with something large enough to carry, you know, several people? Like a space ship.

I don't want to rain on anyone's parade, I'm just sayin'. There's more math to be done (if you care about this nit-picky level of realism).

Ben
OneSeventeen is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
aerobraking, atmospheric braking, spaceship, spaceships