Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 08-16-2015, 01:11 AM   #11
evileeyore
Banned

Default Re: Mind Control with continous resist rolls

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruno View Post
That's how Reduced Duration interacts with Affliction, so I don't see any real problem with the idea of interacting with MOS like that. But Mind Control isn't, by default, purely MOS based. There's still that front-loaded as-long-as-you-Concentrate section, which if you want to get rid of that, will require another limitation.
Not sure which one would work on that. Could also just Rule Zero that... as long as the Player is happy. If not maybe we can brainstorm a price break...
evileeyore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2015, 08:20 AM   #12
ArchonShiva

-20% seems reasonable, as the type of PC who will take this ability tends to be the type of LC who will win the contest pretty much all the time anyway, so it can't be much bigger than this.

I'd make the duration "one event" between rolls. In combat, defeating an opponent or receiving a major wound would prompt a roll (or using a power on demand, of course), while out of combat it would go much by SR's definition of a service, with a maximum of an hour - you can ask it to watch the camp all night, but it gets a new roll after it wakes you to warn of an attack.
ArchonShiva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2015, 03:23 PM   #13
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

Will spirits who win once get the full 24 hours before you can try again, or can he try again immediately? That's going to really push the price up: +150% to have no effect. Which is REALLY expensive. If you're being generous, you can argue that reduced duration on the effect means reduced duration on the length of the resistance to future effects, which would drop everything to a 'mere' +100%

Keeping control for 1 second instead of margin of victory is obviously a limitation. I don't know how I'd price it RAW, but its at least -10% and perhaps -20%.

This is one of those cases where I may abuse GM oversight to make the ability cost what it should, not what RAW says. The ability will cost a LOT, by RAW, mostly due to the ability to try again and again.

Worlds Beyond Earth -- my blog

Check out the PbP forum! If you don't see a game you'd like, ask me about making one!
ericthered is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2015, 07:36 AM   #14
Bruno

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericthered View Post
Keeping control for 1 second instead of margin of victory is obviously a limitation. I don't know how I'd price it RAW, but its at least -10% and perhaps -20%.
Nope, it's Fixed Duration, +0%, although you calculate a duration as per MOS 3 rather than 1. With Mind Control, that's 3 minutes. Then you apply Reduced Duration. Taking it down from 3 minutes to 1 second is 9 levels of Reduced Duration, for -45%

Psionic Powers introduced both for exactly this sort of thing, and I'm pretty sure Power Ups: Limitations has both.
Bruno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2015, 01:28 AM   #15
Grunker

Hey guys, didn't know the thread was still ongoing. I basically just added Reduced Duration to change one minute per margin of success to one second per margin of success (i.e., Reduced Duration 1/60, -40%). That seems to work fine and the price ends up being fair. Having to concentrate is somewhat close to how it works in SR, and the immunity after a failed attempt is fine as well.
Old 08-18-2015, 07:33 AM   #16
evileeyore
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grunker View Post
Hey guys, didn't know the thread was still ongoing. I basically just added Reduced Duration to change one minute per margin of success to one second per margin of success (i.e., Reduced Duration 1/60, -40%). That seems to work fine and the price ends up being fair. Having to concentrate is somewhat close to how it works in SR, and the immunity after a failed attempt is fine as well.
Thumbs up!

Let us know how it turns out after a few sessions.
evileeyore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2015, 07:56 AM   #17
Grunker

I shall! And thanks for all the help. One of these years I'll have to start paying the GURPS forum for technical support.

Tags
mind control