Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 05-04-2021, 01:32 PM   #1
mook

Default Playing GURPS with the help of FoundryVTT

Howdy, Folks!

Just wanted to let everyone know that the unofficial GURPS Game Aid for the Foundry Virtual Tabletop is once again freely available via the "Systems" tab of your FoundryVTT install (just search for "GURPS").

Nose and Nick have been hard at work putting together an amazing Game Aid for the community to play our usual GURPS games, but remotely/online. I love it!

To get a better feel for it, there are a multitude of overview videos from the creators as well as a User's Guide. I also have a (slightly dated) blog post on Setting up Foundry for playing GURPS.

If playing your favorite GURPS games remotely with others interests you even a little, it's absolutely worth checking out!
mook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2021, 03:50 PM   #2
Nose66

Default Re: Playing GURPS with the help of FoundryVTT

If you haven't heard of Foundry, check out their public release video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7fu48nvvUY4

If any of that looks interesting, check out our (newly released!) Getting Started video: https://youtu.be/YstMNNLwKBM

(If you watched the original one and were NOT impressed, I completely understand... that video was created more than 5 months and 30+ releases ago... we offer so much more now!)

Last edited by Nose66; 05-10-2021 at 03:00 PM. Reason: Update
Nose66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2021, 05:18 PM   #3
Richard Wilkes

The GURPS Game Aid makes Foundry quite usable for GURPS. I highly recommend it.
Old 05-04-2021, 05:21 PM   #4
neck

I've been using this game aid for months. After switching from Roll20 to Fantasy Grounds to Foundry as my primary VTT solution, I can say with confidence that Nose and Nick's game aid is the best thing out there for playing GURPS online.
It gets better with every update, too!
neck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2021, 05:48 PM   #5
InexplicableVic

I’ll have a much longer and detailed post on this later, but I have extensively used Roll 20, Fantasy Grounds Unity, and Foundry VTT for quite some time, and Foundry VTT with the GURPS Game Aid is hands-down the best.
InexplicableVic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2021, 06:24 PM   #6
Swivel

I thought I'd chime in. I've tried out this game aid a few times with some friends and I've found it to be very useful.

I initially decided on Foundry due to it being superior to Roll20 in many ways, and came across this module as it was in development. It makes things so easy for new players to dive in and get acquainted with GURPS.

Aside from this game aid, Foundry in general is so customizable and easy to use, there isn't another VTT quite like it that I've come across.

I highly recommended both Foundry and this game aid.
Swivel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2021, 12:45 AM   #7
LordHelmet

This gaim aid, combined with foundry, finally brought me back to playing GURPS after years of playing different systems. As a GM it really helps me alot running my campaign smoothly and joyfully.

And the best thing. It has a very active community and some fantastic programmers - so if you like somthing implemented just ask on the Discord channel or on Github - and it might actually happen!
LordHelmet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2021, 08:13 AM   #8
InexplicableVic

Following up on the above, I don't quite have the time to write a comparison between the three systems, but what I can say is about the GURPS Game Aid on Foundry VTT (in a non-exhaustive list) is:
  • The importing from either GCA or GCS is pretty great and not very difficult at all. It's got a great character sheet as a result. FGU is good, and Roll20's is serviceable, but this is great.
  • The "mook generator" is a good way to quickly get monster or NPC stats into the game very easily.
  • If you keep track of damage in the program itself as opposed to on paper, MAN, this is good--pretty easy drag and drop onto the PC/NPC/Monster receiving the damage, a click or two, and it applies the damage, less DR, multipliers for location and damage type, etc. Really, really great.
  • The status effects are just great and incredibly useful.
  • The resolution of skill checks, and the modifier bucket, is pretty amazing. I can't quite think of anything comparable in Roll20, and while there are similarities, if I recall correctly, to how FGU does it, in my opinion, this is implemented better.
  • The support is really great--I asked a question about whether or not we could have a formula to have Acrobatic Dodge be a single button push using an if/then scenario, and these guys wrote it up and it now works great. That's just one example--there are definitely others.
This is not to say that Roll20 or FGU aren't good--they serve a purpose and are fine. But insofar as GURPS is concerned, I think that the GURPS Game Aid is the best implementation for Virtual Table Tops. I think you can run GURPS on Foundry with just the Game Aid, but there are a few modules that I would say are "essential" (Mook has a lot of them on his blog) and make it really easy and enjoyable to run a game. There is a slight learning curve on transitioning from Rolll20 to Foundry, but there's so many videos on YouTube, it's not that hard. Once you know how, it's great.

There's a whole post that could be written about the price comparisons of the various VTTs, issues with hosted locally or on a server, etc., but Foundry's various modules + GURPS Game Aid means that the group where I am the GM, having used all three of the above VTTs, is happily staying with Foundry. I can't thank the developers of the GURPS Game Aid enough--it made so many things so much better with VTTs. And I really think that when it comes to newcomers and introducing folks to GURPS, this will likely make things so much easier.
InexplicableVic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2021, 09:34 AM   #9
woefulhc

This game aid, in combination with GCS/GCA means I've been able to add several people with no GURPS experience to my online games and have them contribute effectively. They get a sheet they can read. I tell them what to roll, or can use the game aid to send them a button to roll their skill, attribute or whatever. If they hit with a weapon, they can just push a button to roll damage.

We are spending more time playing and less time looking for dice or things on character sheets than we did in person.

(Now, if I could just get the players to read GURPS lite, maybe I could play instead of run...)
woefulhc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2021, 05:07 PM   #10
rapture

I'm new to RPGs and I started with the usual d&d 5e. I recently discovered GURPS and absolutely fell in love with it. I love research and complexity and modularity of it all.

I found GURPS a bit daunting to start off with though and my players found it intimidating and also with covid and lockdown virtual gaming was and will continue to be our only option.

If it weren't for this Game aid, I honestly would not have chosen GURPS for my now weekly campaign so I'm really thankful for the developers of this game aid for making GURPS more accessible. As a result I've developed good enough grasp of GURPS that I've been buying more pdfs from W23 and backing the recent GURPS Kickstarter - there's so much good content!

The Game Aid is flexible enough to let you play with the rules you want to incorporate.i've become a full GURPS convert as a result of this Game aid.

I would pay good money to both SJgames and the developers of this game aid to have more automation, content and development similar to what a lot of other rpg systems have on Foundry.
rapture is offline   Reply With Quote