Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > The Fantasy Trip

Old 09-27-2022, 06:22 AM   #11
hcobb

Default Re: Must have spells

Quote:
Originally Posted by phiwum View Post
The only weakness I notice so far is that it's not too effective against a multihex critter, who can push you right out of the Shadow and start beating on you. Oh, and it might not work against someone with a high enough MA to avoid the snakes and put you into HTH.
Shadow is better than Blur at HTH because your foe is at -6 (instead of -4) and then gets +4 for HTH or no bonus for trampling. Note that multihex can't shove you out of your hex if you'd rather lie flat.
In either case the snakes get behind the foe and apply armor piercing bites.
Old 09-28-2022, 05:55 AM   #12
phiwum

Quote:
Originally Posted by hcobb View Post
Shadow is better than Blur at HTH because your foe is at -6 (instead of -4) and then gets +4 for HTH or no bonus for trampling. Note that multihex can't shove you out of your hex if you'd rather lie flat.
In either case the snakes get behind the foe and apply armor piercing bites.
Armor-piercing bites? The original Staff to Snake gets that -- if the wizard has Staff III. However, I'd rule that the Illusions don't get that benefit.

It's a border case, with the relevant rules stating "Illusions cannot use magic," and "Since illusions are in part fed by the observers, an illusion will always act as the 'average' type of the thing it is." I think the type of thing of which you're making an illusion is "snake" not "snake produced from a Staff to Snake spell".

Otherwise, I'd like to make an illusion of a "Fighter offspring of the God of War". Like the snake produced by Staff to Snake, the difference is just the origin and whatever benefits that particular origin might provide.

I would allow, on the other hand, a poisonous (yeah, yeah, venomous) snake as an illusion. That's not an unusual critter.
phiwum is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2022, 09:13 PM   #13
JohnPaulB

My wizard was very fond of Soothe. She'd go around to innkeepers and doctors and ask if they would like some Sooth done on themselves or a. customer/friend. She did it because she was compassionate, but it also increased good reaction to the party.

Hand it out freely and often and then go to bed to rest the fatigue.

Fantasy Chess: A chess game with combat.
Don't just take the square, Fight for it!
https://www.shadowhex.com
JohnPaulB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2022, 08:05 AM   #14
phiwum

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnPaulB View Post
My wizard was very fond of Soothe. She'd go around to innkeepers and doctors and ask if they would like some Sooth done on themselves or a. customer/friend. She did it because she was compassionate, but it also increased good reaction to the party.

Hand it out freely and often and then go to bed to rest the fatigue.
So she's a pusher?

I'm not sure, but it sounds like she was in competition with the innkeepers. In fact, her product was strictly better, since it never resulted in a belligerent customer or an angry spouse.
phiwum is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2022, 07:02 PM   #15
Axly Suregrip

Quote:
Originally Posted by phiwum View Post
So she's a pusher?

I'm not sure, but it sounds like she was in competition with the innkeepers. In fact, her product was strictly better, since it never resulted in a belligerent customer or an angry spouse.
The first Soothe is free.
Axly Suregrip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2022, 08:34 PM   #16
Bill_in_IN

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axly Suregrip View Post
The first Soothe is free.
Don't let it flow too freely. It could end up being like soma in The Brave New World.
Bill_in_IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2022, 11:58 AM   #17
Skarg

I'd say Aid is the most generally useful spell, and almost essential for working with other wizards, and the spell every wizard would want all of their apprentices to know.

Detect, and Analyze Magic (not to mention Spellsniffer, but that's a high-level spell) are also extremely useful, as is Reveal Magic.

Persuasiveness can be very useful in a huge number of situations, particularly if the wizard has a talent to use with it, until people start resenting them for using it . . .

Not as universally useful, but still extremely useful in several situations:

Summons

Illusions

Fire

Mage Sight is great and a lifesaver in some deadly situations.

Lock/Knock

Teleport

Long-Distance Telepathy

Geas

Spells that can be very useful for many not-entirely-obvious things IF the caster uses them cleverly (true of practically all spells, but some particular examples):

Shadow

Reveal/Conceal

Magic Fist

Whisper

Telekinesis

Glamor

Unnoticeability
Skarg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2022, 06:25 PM   #18
Axly Suregrip

Quote:
Originally Posted by hcobb View Post
Your wizard is lent a Wizard's Chest and a book with 10 spells by their mentor.
Which 10 spells would you pick?
Only spells that require no rush. That is, no combat spells. Spells with long lasting effects are good for a chest.

In any case, before I list mine, shouldn't this be a new topic?
Axly Suregrip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2022, 11:04 AM   #19
Skarg

Quote:
In any case, before I list mine, shouldn't this be a new topic?
Yes, it should.
Skarg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2023, 07:36 PM   #20
vietdanba

Quote:
Most useful spells to me:

- illusion: biggest bang for the buck spell.

- Summons: Myrmidon in particular. Illusions cannot open doors or chests. A big plus is the ability to fight smart foes with whatever weapon wordle be most useful, including bows & crossbows (which illusions cannot do).

- Fires: great for nuisance creatures. just 1 hex fire and the whole team with spiders on each, each run through the fire. of course, more fire is good too. ;-)

- Lock/knock: not only unlocks but disables traps on those locked doors/chests! Does not help with traps in the hallway or spotting traps, but still a big help.

- Staff 2 "Mana staff" is essential. Not right away but once your wiz is 38 points or so, this is needed. Does not hurt to have it earlier.

Nice to have:

- Staff 3 "Staff of striking" comes in handy.

- Light spell is useful. Lasts all day long. Just cast it once every morning and never be without light.

- Detect Magic is also useful. Often during the quest just round up weapons & items then back at camp/village it is detect time.
Thank you very much
vietdanba is offline   Reply With Quote