Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > Transhuman Space

Old 09-07-2014, 07:11 AM   #1
cptbutton

Default Is video game violence memetic?

Digressing, but would memetics include all of the supposed effects like:

Video games make you violent.

Supermodel ads make you anorexic or a fat-shaming sexist pig.

Comic books make you a juvenile delinquent.

Media about good magic users make you satanic.

Having kids make a loyalty oath every morning will make them good citizens.

Rock and Roll music will encourage premarital sex.

etc?

(spun off from Dual inheritance theory and space colonization thread)
cptbutton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2014, 10:00 AM   #2
Phil Masters

Default Re: Is video game violence memetic?

What do you mean, "Would it include?"

I'm sure that memeticists would study those media as memetic transmission vectors; the way that certain memeplexes are expressed in specific behaviours; and the way that certain ideas about specific media and media payloads generating specific behaviours have themselves become quite widespread.
My Self-Publications: On Warehouse 23 and On DriveThruRPG.
Phil Masters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2014, 01:26 PM   #3
Flyndaran
Untagged

In THS one could design video games that really would increase one's risk of violence. Or ads build around subtly destroying self esteem.

Memetics allows them to influence through carefully designed overt and subliminal messages.
People regularly "inoculate" themselves against ubiquitous memes. Like how violent video games count as background memes that remain relatively uniform in type. But memetically designed ones could get around mental walls like slipping past the immune system.
Old 09-07-2014, 04:09 PM   #4
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

Memetics includes every aspect of culture. The central premise is that all culture is carried by memes. Everything that can be communicated is composed of memes, just like every living organism is composed of elements that are built from genes. So yes, video games are composed of memes. So is the idea that video games promote violence. So is every other piece of art and critical opinion about art. Rite of Spring was made of memes, as was the idea that listening to it degrades morals and undermines society. As was the animated version in Fantasia, as is the idea that classic Disney cartoons are among the mildest entertainments possible and it is safe to just leave Fantasia's Rite of Spring playing to distract a toddler.

If memes are real, this post is made from them, and by reading it, they are replicating.

Last edited by sir_pudding; 09-07-2014 at 05:57 PM.
sir_pudding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2014, 12:41 PM   #5
jeff_wilson
Computer Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by sir_pudding View Post
If memes are real, this post is made from them, and by reading it, they are replicating.
I think this reifies memes as discrete, independent entities rather more strongly than necessary. Certainly they can be replicated by reading, but they can just as easily be overlooked or forgotten, failing to be reproduced in the audience's behavior.

The Campaigns of William Stoddard
jeff_wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2014, 12:43 PM   #6
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeff_wilson View Post
I think this reifies memes as discrete, independent entities rather more strongly than necessary. Certainly they can be replicated by reading, but they can just as easily be overlooked or forgotten, failing to be reproduced in the audience's behavior.
Well, yes, but that's the problem with memetics in general isn't it? Genes don't work like this.

At any rate if you read this post, and if it's made of memes, then the memes are replicating at least once as you think them. Maybe they stop there, but there's at least a single replication, if you read them at all.

I suppose "failing to be reproduced in the audience's behavior" is equivalent to "not expressed as proteins" though. Genes that aren't expressed still replicate.

Last edited by sir_pudding; 09-08-2014 at 01:02 PM.
Old 09-08-2014, 01:50 PM   #7
Flyndaran
Untagged

More like viruses. They may be fully incorporated causing infection, or fully obliterated without anyone noticing.
Old 09-08-2014, 02:01 PM   #8
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyndaran View Post
More like viruses. They may be fully incorporated causing infection, or fully obliterated without anyone noticing.
So the Laurie Anderson pop music version, not the Richard Dawkins pop science version? :)
Old 09-08-2014, 02:09 PM   #9
Flyndaran
Untagged

Quote:
So the Laurie Anderson pop music version, not the Richard Dawkins pop science version? :)
Well Dawkins is an evolutionary biologist, not a parasitologist, right? He would use metaphors he could best explain to the scientifically uneducated populace.

Ear worms are perfect examples. I've had songs I hate stuck in my head. Even songs I'm morally opposed to from the beginning.
Old 09-09-2014, 04:52 AM   #10
jeff_wilson
Computer Scientist

Quote:
At any rate if you read this post, and if it's made of memes, then the memes are replicating at least once as you think them. Maybe they stop there, but there's at least a single replication, if you read them at all.
I don't see that as correct. Your post may carry some memes within its content but that doesn't mean they are necessarily reconstructed as the post is read. It may depend on other memes that the reader does not have. For example, a reader with crap English as a Second Language Skill could plod their way though your post and perhaps even transmit it to another person by sounding out the unknown words and reading it aloud but without themselves comprehending the content and thus failing to host any meme replication.

The Campaigns of William Stoddard
jeff_wilson is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
memetics, transhuman space