Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 01-17-2017, 03:20 AM   #1
scc

Default Transhuman Space in Infinite Worlds

OK now official GURPS products are strangely silent on the status of Transhuman Space in the Infinite Worlds, at least to my knowledge, despite it not falling in the established out of expanding beyond the Solar System. Now at one point I did a web search on the topic and found a post that said there was an (Unwritten or explained) rule about no timeline having an in-universe later then Homeline's

So imagine my surprise upon finding this in Lost Worlds, page 16, "The weakness of Homeline AI research hampers this scheme, although some of the equipment lifted from Caliph, Shikaku-Mon, and Transhuman looks like it might have promising applications in this regard."
So maybe Homeline has found THS, or at least an early version of it, but does anyone know any details?
scc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2017, 04:50 AM   #2
Phil Masters

Default Re: Transhuman Space in Infinite Worlds

Early drafts of some of the IW material had "Transhuman" existing and breaking the "No Future Dates" rule for possibly-obscure reasons. That seems to have been dropped for whatever reason, but remnants of the idea may occasionally show up in canon texts like embarrassing reality shards.
My Self-Publications: On Warehouse 23 and On DriveThruRPG.
Phil Masters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2017, 10:26 AM   #3
MIB.6361

Location: Phoenix, Arizona, USA, Earth, Sol, Milky Way, Infinity.

I just thought that since Transhuman Space is Powered By GURPS (instead of being GURPS Transhuman Space), that it's outside the container enough that it's not written into IW.

Not that that would stop a given GM from making it an existing timeline.
Old 01-17-2017, 01:36 PM   #4
warellis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil Masters View Post
Early drafts of some of the IW material had "Transhuman" existing and breaking the "No Future Dates" rule for possibly-obscure reasons. That seems to have been dropped for whatever reason, but remnants of the idea may occasionally show up in canon texts like embarrassing reality shards.
We don't know if that refers to the Transhuman of 2100 or in 2027 though. Is there any tech from 2027 in the Transhuman worldline Infinity would've been interested in?
warellis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2017, 01:59 PM   #5
johndallman
Night Watchman

Quote:
Originally Posted by warellis View Post
We don't know if that refers to the Transhuman of 2100 or in 2027 though. Is there any tech from 2027 in the Transhuman worldline Infinity would've been interested in?
There's worthwhile medical and robotics technology to acquire in 2027, but the world is not really "transhuman" at that date, making it implausible that would be its code name.
johndallman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2017, 02:04 PM   #6
Flyndaran
Untagged

Quote:
Originally Posted by johndallman View Post
There's worthwhile medical and robotics technology to acquire in 2027, but the world is not really "transhuman" at that date, making it implausible that would be its code name.
Unless that's the main difference in culture between their 2027 and Homeline's. A massive push toward transhumanistic goals unlike any Homeline experienced.
The more similar two things are, the more those few differences stand out.
Old 01-17-2017, 03:20 PM   #7
fchase8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil Masters View Post
I love the remnants being "reality shards" - that was totally what I thought.

There is a reference in Infinite Worlds to a transdimensional highway that came about after America's 'psychic awakening' or some such in 2076. While that obviously didn't happen in Transhuman Space, maybe it could link Homeline with a world in 2100.
fchase8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2017, 05:17 PM   #8
Flyndaran
Untagged

A single portal linking Homeline/Centrum muliti-dimensional space with another set that doesn't allow conveyors to function shouldn't mess up most games, I think.
Old 01-17-2017, 05:50 PM   #9
Fred Brackin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyndaran View Post
Unless that's the main difference in culture between their 2027 and Homeline's. A massive push toward transhumanistic goals unlike any Homeline experienced.
The more similar two things are, the more those few differences stand out.
On the basis of observed differences the code name would be probably be "Taikonaut" for the Chinese space program.
Old 01-17-2017, 06:27 PM   #10
Flyndaran
Untagged

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred Brackin View Post
On the basis of observed differences the code name would be probably be "Taikonaut" for the Chinese space program.
Oh yeah. That horrific space program of tossing people at Mars hoping that some "stick".

Tags
infinite worlds, transhuman space