Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Munchkin > Munchkin

Old 08-11-2010, 12:02 AM   #1
Nakiro

Default Face-Up Face-Down

I don't understand these terms.
How can you draw a card face up, is it referring to Doors, since you have to flip it as opposed to Treasures where you just draw it?

Examples:
"If you draw a face-up Hireling, you
may put it in your hand if you cannot (or don’t want to) put it in play. You may
discard a Hireling at any time."

"A player who draws a face-up Steed may choose to treat it as a
monster instead."
MiB #3872
Nakiro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2010, 12:25 AM   #2
Teddy

Default Re: Face-Up Face-Down

Face up means you show it to everyone and face down means you don't.

When you kick open a door to start your turn, that's face up. When one player helps another in combat, all treasure is drawn face up. When you resurrect anything with something like Wand of Dowsing or being a Cleric, it's face up.

Unless I'm mistaken, anything else is face down.
Teddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2010, 07:12 AM   #3
MIB2826

The side of the card with the door or treasure pile artwork is the back of the card, the side with the text and funny artwork on it is the face of the card.

There are situations where you have to draw a card from either the door deck or the treasure deck.
Sometimes you have to show the face side of the card, and sometimes you do. Showing the face of te card is of course a disadvantage since your opponents will know which card you drew.

Drawing a face-up door card happens for example when you open the door at the start of your turn: Draw a card from the door deck and place it with it's face visible on the table.

Drawing a face-down door card happens for example when you search the room, which happens if you did not fight a monster: Draw a card from the door deck and put it into your hand without showing the face side to the other players.

Drawing a face-down treasure card happens for example after you killed a monster without help from another player: Draw the specified number of cards from the treasure deck and put them into your hand without showing their face side to the other players.

Drawing a face-up treasure card happens for example after you killed a monster with help from another player: Draw the specified number of cards from the treasure deck and place them with their face visible on the table. (After dividing the treasures with your helper, you can of course take the cards in your hands.)
MIB2826 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2010, 09:55 AM   #4
Genpin

Im not sure about the Wand of Dowsing, since no one is now allowed to search through the discard pile, and the card don't say anything about showing the card piked...
MIB #6311 - Buenos Aires, Argentina
Genpin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2010, 10:43 AM   #5
Andrew Hackard
Munchkin Line Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Genpin View Post
Im not sure about the Wand of Dowsing, since no one is now allowed to search through the discard pile,
Unless they have a card that allows them to do so. Wand of Dowsing is such a card.

Let people like what they like. Don't be a gamer hater.

#PlayMunchkin on social media: Twitter || Facebook || Instagram || YouTube
Follow us on Kickstarter: Steve Jackson Games and Warehouse 23
Andrew Hackard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2010, 12:05 PM   #6
Genpin

what i meant to say: im not sure that the card piked by a wand of dowsing is a face-up
MIB #6311 - Buenos Aires, Argentina
Genpin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2010, 12:45 PM   #7
Nakiro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Genpin View Post
what i meant to say: im not sure that the card piked by a wand of dowsing is a face-up
Doesn't sound like you have to show it to anyone else from the card description.
MiB #3872
Nakiro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2010, 12:59 AM   #8
Kirt

It is true that the discard pile is not open to inspection unless you have a card that lets you do so.

The top card in the discard pile is definitely face-up, as it is open to inspection from anyone.

So the question becomes, are all the cards in the discard pile except the top one considered face-up or not, for the purpose of counting as a "face-up draw" when you take one out?

I have read enough threads of people trying to make infinite loops with hoard, Dowsing Rod, and Cleric that I think every card in the discard pile is considered face-up, but you may need an official ruling on that.
Kirt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2010, 08:32 AM   #9
Andrew Hackard
Munchkin Line Editor

I'm not about to go through every single card that lets you draw from the discards and make a ruling case by case. The SHORT version is: if the result of the discard diving goes in your hand, it is considered face-down, and if it goes into play or the card itself says to show everyone, it's considered face-up.

The card drawn from Wand of Dowsing goes into your hand, however briefly, so it is face-down.

The fact that the top card of the discards is visible makes absolutely no difference whether the result of the draw of that card (or any other in the discards) is face-up or face-down.

Let people like what they like. Don't be a gamer hater.

#PlayMunchkin on social media: Twitter || Facebook || Instagram || YouTube
Follow us on Kickstarter: Steve Jackson Games and Warehouse 23
Andrew Hackard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2010, 08:39 AM   #10
MunchkinMan

I was writing the same thing when my browser decided that it needed to be closed and all I wrote, lost. . . Bugger. . .
MiB #1029
MunchkinMan is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
face down, face up