Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > Roleplaying in General

Old 05-24-2017, 04:21 PM   #1571
Bruno

Default Re: Real-Life Weirdness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anders View Post
The real weirdness is that people are, as a result, taking their children to the docks to see the sea lion, and HOLDING THEM OUT OVER THE SIDE OF THE DOCK to get a better view.
Bruno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2017, 07:51 PM   #1572
tshiggins

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruno View Post
The real weirdness is that people are, as a result, taking their children to the docks to see the sea lion, and HOLDING THEM OUT OVER THE SIDE OF THE DOCK to get a better view.
You should see what people do in the Colorado high country. There ain't no cure for stupid.
tshiggins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2017, 09:45 PM   #1573
Flyndaran
Untagged

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruno View Post
Cute means not dangerous.
Gross means dangerous. /S
People too often feel rather than think.
Old 05-24-2017, 10:40 PM   #1574
Johnny1A.2

Quote:
Originally Posted by tshiggins View Post
You should see what people do in the Colorado high country. There ain't no cure for stupid.
The thing is that I don't think it's 'stupid' (usually) so much as 'ignorant'.

Most people today, especially those who grew up in urban environments, are entirely clueless about animals. What they think they know is based on a mishmash of stories, TV shows, movies, etc. What experience they have with animals is usually with dogs and cats that have been bred for centuries to be amenable to safely interacting with people.

So they simply aren't aware, except in abstract theory, of how dangerous wild animals can be. So you get incidents like this, or tragedies when somebody takes a chimp or a python or a lion as a pet (usually in the animal's early youth) and has no idea how to cope when they grow up and start acting like a wild animal.
Old 05-25-2017, 01:22 AM   #1575
Irish Wolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny1A.2 View Post
The thing is that I don't think it's 'stupid' (usually) so much as 'ignorant'.

Most people today, especially those who grew up in urban environments, are entirely clueless about animals. What they think they know is based on a mishmash of stories, TV shows, movies, etc. What experience they have with animals is usually with dogs and cats that have been bred for centuries to be amenable to safely interacting with people.

So they simply aren't aware, except in abstract theory, of how dangerous wild animals can be. So you get incidents like this, or tragedies when somebody takes a chimp or a python or a lion as a pet (usually in the animal's early youth) and has no idea how to cope when they grow up and start acting like a wild animal.
Or, as Chris Rock said about the Siberian tiger that mauled Roy (of Sigfried and Roy fame) a few years back, "That tiger didn't go crazy - that tiger went tiger!"

If you break the laws of God, you go to Hell.

If you break the laws of Physics, you go to Sweden and receive a Nobel Prize.
Irish Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2017, 02:11 AM   #1576
Flyndaran
Untagged

Except the tiger was not acting aggressively. It was acting protectively when Roy had a violent stroke on stage. Protective tigers though are too strong to do much other than injure fragile people.
Old 05-25-2017, 09:13 AM   #1577
Žorkell
Icelandic - Approach With Caution

Quote:
Originally Posted by tshiggins View Post
As we have discovered here during recent years warnings good enough for locals aren't good enough for tourists. For example, there's this beach here and if you fall into the sea there the next time people will see you if at all would be at the funeral. For years there either wasn't a warning sign or there was a small one, then tourism exploded here. Currently the sign is a huge affair, and placed in such a way you can't get onto the beach without seeing it. It still isn't enough.

Viking kittens | My photos | More of my photos
Žorkell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2017, 09:26 AM   #1578
malloyd

Quote:
"Tin rot" used to be fairly well known - northern European winter temperatures being low enough to trigger it. It's sometimes credited with Napoleon's defeat in Russia (uniform buttons were made of tin), though that's probably a legend, but it is still sometimes a problem with historical organ pipes.
Old 05-25-2017, 09:45 AM   #1579
Anders

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyndaran View Post
Though that gene looks like it would be a negative in times of starvation where using fat is better.
Which is presumably why it's not widespread in the population. Fat contains more energy per carbon because it's not partly oxidized.
Old 05-25-2017, 12:13 PM   #1580
Flyndaran
Untagged

Quote:
Which is presumably why it's not widespread in the population. Fat contains more energy per carbon because it's not partly oxidized.
I'm not well versed in biochemistry, though I know that fats and most proteins can be turned into glucose, but that it's a bit energy intensive. I don't know exactly how much energy is lost if a person were to require most final energy come from glucose. Though I suppose in that cold of an environment, waste energy is still very useful as heat.

I love how rechecking the net sources, I'm reminded that my diabetes med specifically slows down that process.
I wonder how their bodies resist developing diabetes.

Tags
blueberry muffin, fermi paradox