Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > Roleplaying in General

Old 08-29-2011, 12:40 PM   #611
Koshka

Default Re: Memorable Quotes.

The post-apoc scenario is still running. The party medic has been called in on a case of acute appendicitis. That character also spent the points to have a pre-disaster computer with several databases, which is coming into play because while he has PS:Doctor, he doesn't actually have PS:Surgeon.

Player 1: He's using Surgery For Dummies?
Koshka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 07:59 PM   #612
Bruno

GM: Morgan and MM were always mucking around with stuff, though Morgan didn't like it when MM "helped" with the Tercel.
EJ: what sort of help with the tercel?
GM: She doesn't know, exactly, but Morgan didn't like it and made MM take it out. It was something to make it faster or whatever but Morgan didn't like it.
Johnny: ((Extradimensional hamster on a 4th dimensional wheel...))
Bruno: (( made out of dead baby bones ))
EJ: ((it probably just didn't look like it belonged on a racecar))
GM: 'cause it was made of dead baby bones.

EJ: you two can search morgan's place, EJ wants to search blondie's alone
GM: Okay....
Clay Patterson: What happened to "Nobody does anything alone"?
Joel: but *really*, EJ just wants to be alone... Loner ya know?
Joel: also... he might want to go through her underwear drawer

EJ: this game is like a david lynch movie
Bruno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2011, 06:21 PM   #613
BLloyd607502

In a game based around a war, PCs on both sides; we had a hopeless last stand moment where one PC, the leader of a small country caught in the middle, was beseiged by an ex-ally who'd turned on him. Out of respect their King send a message over the wall. 'Let us settle this, come out with your 10 strongest men, and face me and mine...whoever loses, their army must surrender to the winner and the winner will not harm them; at dawn', the oath is bound in magic and blood, so its not a trap, its a promise.
Now the leader of the small country only has ~100-200 men remaining after this time, while the King has a few thousand...

At dawn, a rope ladder comes down the side of the castle; and the leader of the resistance force comes out. Alone, and walks towards the enemy camp, where the King (An NPC and tyrant basically) and the Prince of the Kingdom (A PC, they shared a PoV together for a long time) wait.
Some info on the two PCs, the Leader was a hero of his people, kind, noble and brave, one of the few good 'Kings' in a world where quite a lot of the nobility were not so kind to the lower classes; the Prince meanwhile, was born to lead, and followed his fathers orders, whatever they were.
It was also quite a hard system, so fighting 10 men alone is practically a suicide mission.
We got this exchange.

King: Where are your 10 men?
With that, Jan raised his sword high in defiance, men from both camps watched as the lone warrior stood before the army.
Jan: " No others will die for me today! Now send your men forth and I will show you how the Warrior Prince of the Kietmark faces death! I am my 10 strongest men!"
King: ...*With admiration* You are brave.
As he went to order the 10 handpicked members of his greatest guard to face the man, another stepped forward, walked over to the waiting man...and drew his own blades, facing down his father and his own army.
The Prince: And I am 11.
BLloyd607502 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2011, 08:33 PM   #614
Mark Skarr
Forum Pervert
(If you have to ask . . .)

MonkeyFist: "What about 'People for the Ethical Treatment of Zombies?'"
K: "They're the first ones who get bitten; it's a problem that solves itself!"
Mark Skarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2011, 06:23 AM   #615
Blood Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLloyd607502 View Post
The Prince: And I am 11.
._. how did it end...

"This is the sort of relatively small error that destroys planetary probes." ~Bruno
Blood Legend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2011, 04:30 AM   #616
mlangsdorf

A large group of monster hunters has too many options for bypassing certain obstacles:

Kevin: "We have the bolt-cutters for when Clay isn't around to teleport the padlock, or EJ or David aren't around to pick it, or Mila isn't around to rend the chains in two with her bare hands, or Johnny isn't around to put a nanosword through the lock, or Nick isn't around to magic it --"
"Why did we buy these?"
mlangsdorf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2011, 10:16 AM   #617
Evil Roy Slade

At a convention, I took part in a Traveller adventure called "Whiteout." We were the crew of a small merchant ship stranded on an icy backwater world with a fried Plot Device, and we had to accumulate yea much money to pay for repairs. "Good," I thought, "a decent convention adventure should have a clear-cut goal but offer some flexibility in how to solve it."

We canvassed the other ships in port, but none could spare the Frazzinator we needed. Two of our six-man crew went into the small attached town to see if we could sell our cargo of snow removal machines. Alas! a competitor had been here two weeks before and sold an entire shipment, so there was no further need. I asked the GM: "So, this world which, [checks info handout] has a population of nine million people and where the temperatures almost never get above freezing now has no need of further snow removal machines because a free trader sold its cargo of them?" "No." "Ah."

While in town, our two crew members met and were assaulted by a knife-wielding drunkard. He wound up in custody while I, the pilot (we had no real medic), patched them up. In his drunken rantings, he had mentioned "the beasts" in the wilderness outside of town. "Ah," we thought, "we will kill or capture these beasts for a reward." But no, no reward on offer.

I combed the ship for anything else we could unload. No other cargo, and apparently we had spent the last of the ship's funds on the snowblowers. Anything we bought had to come from pocket change, and four of the six of us started with zero credits. The other two had about 1600 credits between the pair of them: for comparison, buying cold weather gear for all six of us cost 1200 credits. Yes, clothing sufficient to ensure we would not die used up three-quarters of our resources.

We learned at last that we had a buyer for our snow machines, some 800 km north; and and a bonus, this same buyer had sponsored a geological expedition into the mountains some 300 km north of town. At last, after two and a half hours, the objective hove into view.

I should point out in passing that this was nominally a four-hour game. After the four hours was up, there was to be a two hour gap and then another different game in the same spot. Early on, one of the organizers swung by and told us the afternoon game had been cancelled, so we could take as long as we liked.

We all believed we were still in it for four hours, I wonder if the GM decided he would expand his masterwork to ten hours; if so, he did not canvass us. It would account for the way the rest of the session went.

At the three-hour mark, we were still buying whatever cheap gear we could afford. We rented a massive all-terrain vehicle and a trailer to haul our snow removal machines. We proceeded north, as the GM rolled extensively on the random encounter tables. Mostly it was just local fauna, which we ignored. He would then roll some more, and mention more fauna, which we bypassed as well; with time limit both in-game and at the table, we were not messing about with the local wildlife.

Three encounters will stain my memory for many years to come. Remember we are traversing a vast, empty plain of snow and ice, headed north. 2-300 km ahead are some mountains; some 500 km to the east is a forest.

1ST ENCOUNTER: The GM tells us the way is blocked by some herbivores traversing the road. We tell him we wait until they pass. He rolls a die and tells us the seething mass passes before us for six hours. I wonder aloud what tens of thousands of bison-sized beasts would be eating on a vast plain of snow, and he reminds they are headed east to the forest -- they are migratory. I wonder to myself why they left it then, and if perhaps they wore backpacks full of supplies.

2ND ENCOUNTER: He tells us the way ahead is blocked by a wall of snow. Further questioning of him reveals there has been an avalanche. In the middle of the plains. "Where did this snow come from?" I ask, now gaining a reputation as a troublemaker. "From the mountains," he tells us. "What, the ones still 150 km away?" I speculate privately that perhaps the herbivores were escaping the avalanches. We asked if we could use the snow removal devices and he said it would not work. Wrong kind of snow, I guess. We also asked if the ALL-TERRAIN VEHICLE could climb the snow, but alas, it would not.

3RD ENCOUNTER: (verbatim, as best I recall)

"You see a large object blocking the way."

"What is it?"

"You cannot tell, just that it is a large object."

"Okay, but is it artificial, natural? Is it a living being of some sort?"

"You cannot tell."

"Okay, when you say 'large,' how large are we talking?"

"... it is a large object."

"St-Bernard large? Elephant large? Aircraft carrier large?"

"It is a large object. You cannot tell how large. It is dark out."

"We have headlights."

"It is snowing too."

"How far away is it?"

"Ten metres."

"And we cannot tell anything else about it?"

"No, just that is a large object."

"... we have to get out and look at it, don't we?"

"Yes."

Turned out to be a bearlike creature about the size of an elephant. We retreated into the shelter of the all-terrain vehicle rather than be dismembered, and did not emerge any of the next six times he told us we encountered one.

Finally we were obliged to get out and walk. We encountered another bearlike creature and engaged in combat. As I had no combat skills and no weapons, I excused myself for a few minutes to get a can of ginger ale. When I returned, everyone was packing up. "What, did it kill us all?" No, but we had run past the four and a half hour mark and other players had obligations. I am not sure how many actually had obligations and how many were merely trying to find the way out they thought I had found, but we wrapped it up there.

I am tempted to write the words IT IS A LARGE OBJECT on a Post-It note and affix it to the inside of my GM screen so as to remind myself not to be that guy.
Evil Roy Slade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2011, 05:32 AM   #618
BLloyd607502

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blood Legend View Post
._. how did it end...
Turns out that when the prince of your arms is fighting your ten strongest men, the prince is more popular than the king, and the people of the country belive that the people they are fighting are utter moral degenerates due to a propoganda campaign, yet your beloved and exalted prince is willing to die back to back with their leader, at least some of the people in the army take umbridge.

It basically instigated a civil war right there and then, the tutor of the Prince killed the King by cutting his throat, since he was standing next to the king as the talk was going on and was cut down in an instant, all his men (About a quarter of the army, and all the best ones, including mages) turned on the killers; and the entire thing just devolved into a massacre.
Original dudes army got involved and helped a fighting retreat occour into their own city; then turned on and routed what was left of the enemy forces.
Most bloody battle in the history of the game.
BLloyd607502 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2011, 04:44 PM   #619
Koshka

"I'm not saying you kicked him in the nads a little too hard, but he has a new pair of earmuffs."

Some background on the second one -- post-apoc, one of the characters is a genetic experiment, human with some cat DNA spliced in. A scouting party just needed to make Stealth rolls, they're already getting bonuses for weather conditions, and the cat-person rolled a natural 3 (Hero System).

"Does your grin remain in the air for a few seconds?"
Koshka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2011, 01:08 AM   #620
Mark Skarr
Forum Pervert
(If you have to ask . . .)

Inappropriately-dressed Jasmine, the party oracle (and 15-year-old girl) took the talking dog (Sigfried) to the train boneyard to search for the children who had been abducted. She did tell the cop (Eric), occult researcher (May) and paramedic (Manny) where she was going, and told them to come for her as soon as they could. After fighting the big-bad one-on-one in their lair and losing (gymnastics can take you only so far; she broke her ankle during the fight, and wound up getting shot by the bigbad), the cop showed up, at the dramatically appropriate moment, and rescued her.

Waking up in the hospital the next day:
Eric (the cop): What were you thinking, going down there on your own?

Jasmine (totally deadpan): Well the GM indicated that it would make the story more interesting if I went down on my own, forcing you to rescue me from certain death to provide a climax to the story. After all, what group of morons would let an adolescent girl with emotional problems and suicidal tendencies out of their sight, especially while tracking a serial-killer of adolescents? I mean, what were you thinking?

Sigfried: Don't look at me, man, I'm just a dog.
Mark Skarr is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
actual play, funny