Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 05-02-2022, 10:28 AM   #41
Fred Brackin

Default Re: Handling cinematic spaceship fights and other sci-fi stuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedMattis View Post
Do you think it will be useful?
I find Spaceships useful primarily for its' simplicity. You can do your preliminary design work by counting up to 20. Final design work requires only writing down your choices, doing some table look ups and simple addition.

It could be used for some pirates hiding in some asteroids to build (or more likely modify civilian ships into) pirate ships. The biggest factor determining cost will be size. If you build something the size of a nuclear aircraft carrier (SM+12) it will be about that expensive.
Old 05-02-2022, 04:34 PM   #42
Rupert

Default Re: Handling cinematic spaceship fights and other sci-fi stuff

Looking at the example spaceships in Spaceships 2 (because it's got traders and suchlike, so ships without guns, etc.), a ship the size of a car (SM+3 in SS terms) would cost about $50-75K new, without having to reduce the list prices. Using the rules for 'large systems' from SS7 to fit proper control room and seats you could fit a pilot and three passengers, plus a wee bit of cargo, eyeballing it from TL11^ designs (i.e. ships with thrusters and no fuel requirements), much the same as what I estimated earlier in the thread.

At TL11 this is about 2/3rds of a year's pay for a Status-0 person on average pay. In my neck of the woods that's roughly the price of a new car, so it seems good to me.

Spaceships is, as long as you're okay with working with vehicles with weights/masses that follow a 1-3-10 ratio to each other, tremendously flexible and easy to play with (well, I find it so, anyway), as everything ecales up and down consistently (aside from a very few things, and they are things like bridge crew and stealthing costs that don't affect anything else). As Fred says, you can do basic concepts very simply. I often do in my head whilst cleaning and such.

"A pessimist is an optimist with a sense of history."
Rupert is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
gurps 4th, gurps spaceships, sci fi