Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 12-11-2023, 03:39 PM   #451
Astromancer

Default Re: New Fantasy Setting Seeds.

On Saturday night (12/9) I watched the The Raven a Roger Corman film with Vincent Price, Boris Karloff, Peter Lorie, and Jack Nicholson. This lively comedy, which I had seen many times before, inspired
a game setting idea. Especially as I had recently seen another Roger Corman film The Undead. The main parts of both films take place in the middle ages, or do they.

In the first scenes of The Raven Vincent Price bumps his head on a telescope. In a later scene Vincent uses a chef's wisk to blend a potion. Vincent and the actress playing his daughter walk past a 19th century grandfather clock. In both films the people dressed in high medieval garb use 19th century carriages. In the second film the younger witch has a dress with a zipper.

Of course all of this is simply Corman deciding that his audience didn't care about historical accuracy (true) and putting the budget where it counted. Still, try the idea of an artificial past somewhen in the future. Long after a brutal civilizational collapse groups of Wizards and Wizardesses build little pockets of civilization.

These worlds are pop culture takes on the past. The largest and most stable is in southern England, Cornwall, Brittany, the Channel Isles and the Scillies. They are at present expanding into southern Wales and Ireland.

More later.

Ancora Imparo

Last edited by Astromancer; 12-15-2023 at 07:35 PM.
Astromancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2023, 03:44 PM   #452
Astromancer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Astromancer View Post
On Saturday night (12/9) I watched the The Raven a Roger Corman film with Vincent Price, Boris Karloff, Peter Lorie, and Jack Nicholson. This lively comedy, which I had seen many times before, inspired
a game setting idea. Especially as I had recently seen another Roger Corman film The Undead. The main parts of both films take place in the middle ages, or do they.

In the first scenes of The Raven Vincent Price bumps his head on a telescope. In a later scene Vincent uses a chef's wisk to blend a potion. Vincent and the actress playing his daughter walk past a 19th century grandfather clock. In both films the people dressed in high medieval garb use 19th century carriages. In the second film the younger witch has a dress with a zipper.

Of course all of this is simply Corman deciding that his audience didn't care about historical accuracy (true) and putting the budget where it counted. Still, try the idea of an artificial past somewhen in the future. Long after a brutal civilizational collapse groups of Wizards and Wizardesses build little pockets of civilization.

These worlds are pop culture takes on the past. The largest and most stable is in southern England, Cornwall, Brittany, the Channel Isles and the Isles of Scilly. They are at present expanding into southern Wales and Ireland.

More later.
I wasn't allowed to edit so I'm posting again.

The area within the South England and Brittany zone is faux Medieval. People believe that a King Mark rules England, but he mainly leaves it to Parliament. Technology is largely early TL5. Medicine is mainly TL6, and paid for with taxes. Education is free, secular, and mandatory. Wizards and Wizardesses are accepted as real, but mainly busy in their libraries. Witches and Druids are around as well.

There are scattered remnants of older times around. Several highways are more or less intact as are many 20th and 21st century bridges. There are rare scattered pieces of TL7 through TL9 technology around. Social conventions are mixed too.

The Wizards et al (they're all Mages using Realm Magic) are trying to rebuild the world including high technology (the masses will benefit from the higher technology). There are pockets of different conventions. New England and the Canadian Maritimes resemble a Flash Gordon/Buck Rogers Planetary Romance setting. The Caribbean is Pirates and Voodoo.

More later.

Ancora Imparo

Last edited by Astromancer; 12-11-2023 at 04:00 PM.
Old 12-11-2023, 04:00 PM   #453
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

Quote:
The PCs are various people facing Lovecraftian horrors who Poimandries finds and awakens to their own mystic powers.
Could someone give me three or four examples of what is meant by "Lovecraftian horrors" in this context? I'm struggling with understanding what is meant.

Worlds Beyond Earth -- my blog

Check out the PbP forum! If you don't see a game you'd like, ask me about making one!
ericthered is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2023, 05:15 PM   #454
Astromancer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericthered View Post
Could someone give me three or four examples of what is meant by "Lovecraftian horrors" in this context? I'm struggling with understanding what is meant.
The MI go fungi, Lovecraft style ghouls, cultists manipulated by Nyarlathotep. That sort of thing. Quite a few of the Doctor's foes would also count.

Ancora Imparo
Old 12-12-2023, 05:27 PM   #455
Astromancer

Quote:

These worlds are pop culture takes on the past. The largest and most stable is in southern England, Cornwall, Brittany, the Channel Isles and the Scillies. They are at present expanding into southern Wales and Ireland.

More later.
Some Notes:

A) If you have GURPS Mage: the Ascension or the White Wolf/Onyx Path games freely steal from them but don't use the general histories. For example, Changelings could be a type of mutant connected to the Collective Unconscious (Hey we're mixing Magic and Post-apocalyptic Sci Fi so why not add Jung?)

B) Remnant technology is around. Oxford and Cambridge both have computers. Electrical equipment including lights are also out there. It's uncommon, unstable, and unreliable, mainly because they are old and poorly maintained. But high-tech enclaves are around.

C) King Mark and his only child the Princess of Wales Jane, aren't real. Few people see them and those that run the country keep the secret (with magical help). Further most people believe that King Arthur ruled a few generations ago. The idea of a monarchy seems to fit the Medieval setting. Local governments are highly democratic and egalitarian.

D) Many post medieval ideas and customs are common. Public Education, socialized medicine, public sanitation, are all ubiquitous. Circuses, theaters, public libraries, are also commonplace.

E) Many plants never found in medieval England like potatoes, tomatoes, raspberries, and our large modern strawberries are in most gardens and farms. The wheat and rye crops are genetically modified. They are legumes, thus need no nitrogen fertilizer, and they have multiple heads like maize. Food production is impressively high.

F) The Border areas are dangerous and unstable. The weather is disturbed on most of this Earth. Unnatural violent storms, temperatures out of sync with the seasons. Within the areas of stability the weather is calm and normally predictable (or ar least reasonably unpredictable). The borders are were the disturbed nature of this post-apocalyptic setting reasserts itself.

Ancora Imparo

Last edited by Astromancer; 12-12-2023 at 05:47 PM.
Old 12-15-2023, 07:53 PM   #456
Astromancer

Quote:

More later.

Some more notes:

A) Although there is considerable class defferance (think of late 1940s rural England) the laws and social custom make for a society that has a practical egalitarianism. The commoners will deffer to their "betters" but they won't let anyone exploit them.

B) Although the general society gives lip service to many aspects of medieval and early modern social customs involving sex and gender norms, anyone trying to enforce such norms will be ignored. (Which wasn't really odd in either medieval or early modern England).

C) Although this society isn't as poor as actual medieval England they aren't as rich as modern day societies either. The deprivation is distributed more evenly though. Still certain elite types (including Wizards and Wizardesses) are richer than the norm. This comes with obligations of charity.

D) Wizards and Wizardesses are mainly left alone. Until there's crisis or serious problem. Local communities can and will deputise spellcasters to resolve serious problems. The level of seriousness can vary across the land.

E) Part of claiming/modifying Southern Wales and South Eastern Ireland is simply building communities and institutions in these places and getting people to accept new lifestyles. Wizards and Wizardesses are often drafted to aid in or lead this work.

Ancora Imparo
Old 12-15-2023, 08:27 PM   #457
Inky

Quote:
E) Part of claiming/modifying Southern Wales and South Eastern Ireland is simply building communities and institutions in these places and getting people to accept new lifestyles. Wizards and Wizardesses are often drafted to aid in or lead this work.
What exactly is that "simply" meant to not include?
Old 12-15-2023, 08:49 PM   #458
Inky

Quote:
I was reading a web article that said that the TARDIS was made up of Alice's Looking Glass, C.S. Lewis' Wardrobe, Badger's House and Aladdin's cave. I kind of agree, but I got the idea to toss something else into the mix. Cross the TARDIS with Gormenghast.

Picture that Gallifrey and the TARDIS are one and the same, it's more a decayed version of the Unseen University than Technocratic Parliament/Oxbridge.

Picture the Doctor ( going by the name Poimandries) is the gatekeeper. He's a Shapeshifter with multiple personality disorder. More a Doom Patrol character with lashings of Rick Sanchez.

The PCs are various people facing Lovecraftian horrors who Poimandries finds and awakens to their own mystic powers.

This needs more thought.
It seems like, there's a structural problem with this one, if I'm understanding it correctly - if the Lovecraftian horrors are outside the "TARDIS", the adventure won't be set in it, and that's where you'd want it to be set - might need rearranging.
Old 12-16-2023, 05:03 AM   #459
Astromancer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inky View Post
What exactly is that "simply" meant to not include?
By simply I meant no magic or special rituals required. Don't get me wrong, magic is immensely useful in the general project, but it isn't technically required. It's just pragmatically a vital resource.

Ancora Imparo
Old 12-16-2023, 05:07 AM   #460
Astromancer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inky View Post
It seems like, there's a structural problem with this one, if I'm understanding it correctly - if the Lovecraftian horrors are outside the "TARDIS", the adventure won't be set in it, and that's where you'd want it to be set - might need rearranging.
Actually the adventures could be happening in both places. The culture in inside the city TARDIS is seriously decayed. The Lovecraftian monsters et al drive them into the TARDIS and Poimandries tries to Awaken them to their powers in a treacherous and bizarre city/university.

Ancora Imparo