Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > The Fantasy Trip

Old 07-09-2021, 06:07 AM   #21
RobW

Default Re: Sex Appeal with more inclusive?

The talent and its description literally come from a different age, lifted almost without change from 40 years ago. The change is to substitute a sex "slavery" scenario for a sex "prisoner" scenario.

I'm not a fan of the described in-game effect, rolling to either be killed or else captured as a sex prisoner. I don't think I'm offended, I've seen and read plenty of Princess Leah cliches, but I wouldn't be sad to see this talent deleted.

Charisma is better developed. The basis of Charisma isn't specified and it works perfectly well assuming that the PC is attractive, or imposing, or passionate, etc. If a PC had Charisma and wanted to be movie-star attractive, that's fine with me, we can take it from there. Why complicate things.
RobW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2021, 06:58 AM   #22
Shostak

Sex Appeal and Charisma are quite different, but related enough that there is a bit of overlap. Someone could have neither, one, or both. I'd keep them as separate talents, but change Sex Appeal's description to be more or less like found in the GURPS Basic Set, which, by being more accurate, is inclusive. And I agree with RobW that the whole bondage part of the talent is something that doesn't need to be baked into the rules.
Shostak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2021, 01:12 PM   #23
Skarg

Quote:
Originally Posted by rosignol View Post
There are some Norse eddas that pretty much describe this scenario, all of the ones that come immediately to mind are about Loki.
There's also at least one with cross-dressing Thor...

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobW View Post
The talent and its description literally come from a different age, lifted almost without change from 40 years ago. The change is to substitute a sex "slavery" scenario for a sex "prisoner" scenario.

I'm not a fan of the described in-game effect, rolling to either be killed or else captured as a sex prisoner. I don't think I'm offended, I've seen and read plenty of Princess Leah cliches, but I wouldn't be sad to see this talent deleted.
It seems to me you're adding in the "sex" prisoner part. The actual wording I think you're referring to is:
Quote:
For instance, if they have you helpless and you make the saving roll, they might take you prisoner instead of
killing you.
That's an example, and it seems to me it's about mercy, and does not say the character becomes a "sex prisoner".

I agree though that it always seemed odd to me that being spared was the first thing the talent description talks about, as it rarely comes up. I see it get much more use for reaction rolls in normal social situations.
Skarg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2021, 12:20 PM   #24
Rolando

I think the talent is clearly for social interaction and that prisoner part is to give the GM and players some advice of how it can help in other, less common situations.
Rolando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2021, 12:37 PM   #25
whswhs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skarg View Post
There's also at least one with cross-dressing Thor...
Yes, but he's not sexy when he does it. It's only the dimness of the giants and some successful Fast-Talk by Loki that let him bring off the role.

I don't think we're in Oz any more.
whswhs is offline   Reply With Quote