Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > Roleplaying in General

Old 02-14-2006, 08:05 AM   #11
zorg
Experimental Subject

Default Re: One Shot Adventure: Advice Appreciated!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sn0wball
Every char had its own motive apart from the main plot. This teaches a lot about what roleplaying is about, if that is intended.
That is a very good point, which I'll keep in mind.
Old 02-14-2006, 10:43 AM   #12
HeroPenguin

Sounds like an interesting beginning. I do have one question though. Whgy ninjas? Against a group of teenage girls, it doesn't seem like a balanced conflict. What exactley will these girls be able to do against their captors to thwart their plans? It's an interesting scenario, but it seems like it may be harder than it should be for the newbies.
HeroPenguin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2006, 11:49 AM   #13
zorg
Experimental Subject

Well, they're cinematic and not too smart mook-ninjas. Not highly trained, elite, teach-experienced-PCs-a-lesson ninjas. :)

To defeat these villains, the girls can use girlish charm, or assorted metal tools, or household utensils... I know these girls. They're fiendishly clever when it comes to improvised bodily harm. Or when appearing to be innocent is crucial. I'm certain they'll come up with something devious I didn't think of.

Besides, if the bad guys appear strong, that should encourage non-violent solutions. The PCs can certainly solve the situation without combat: call for aid via radio, try and disable vital electronics or disable the McGuffin the ninjas have to rely on to do their thing... The PCs will have useful skills for all sorts of mayhem (save combat).

Finally, ninjas are an enemy anyone can relate to and anyone can recognize instantly.
Old 02-14-2006, 03:10 PM   #14
Luther
Grim Reaper

Zorg,

may I suggest using Risus? It seems a perfect fit, including the inappropriate cliché rule. If you don't know it, Risus is a 6 page complete rpg, especially valuable to GMs assembling a quick convention game, or any late-night beer-and-pretzels outing. While it is essentially a Universal Comedy System, it works just as well for serious play (if you insist!). Best of all, a Risus character takes about 20 seconds to create! (from the site)

God of the Cult of Stat Normalization
Luther is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2006, 03:23 PM   #15
Archangel Beth
In Nomine Line Editor

Re: "Quite frankly, don't take it for granted that a lady roleplayer is in it for the social."
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nex
Well, I didn't say that (in case this referred to my post).
But you will have to admit that there must be some explanation why certain types of games are more popular with female players than with male players and vice versa (compare for instance the sims to doom 3).
It may be a trend, but don't take it for granted. I know plenty of bloodthirsty gamer wenches, myself often included. (Which players' characters were all for torturing the bad guy into a confession with the monowire and discussing whether they should start with the toes or fingers? That would have been the two fem-gamers at the table, not any of the guys.)

Better to offer options (as opposed to assuming either violence or social), and run with what the players decide.
Old 02-14-2006, 04:24 PM   #16
Luther
Grim Reaper

Quote:
Originally Posted by zorg
Now I've never GMed a One-Shot before. I read a Pyramid article on this subject, and I got my brain working. So I have some ideas how to do this (pregen characters, start with a Bang, Time Pressure, uncomplicated plot).
I'm interested in the subject, what's the article? Is there more than one?

Old 02-15-2006, 04:02 AM   #17
Anders

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archangel Beth
It may be a trend, but don't take it for granted. I know plenty of bloodthirsty gamer wenches, myself often included. (Which players' characters were all for torturing the bad guy into a confession with the monowire and discussing whether they should start with the toes or fingers? That would have been the two fem-gamers at the table, not any of the guys.)
Awww...c'mon Beth. Everyone knows girls are "sugar and spice and everything nice". You just did that to impress the guys at the table... :)

Historically in many tribes, captured warriors were turned over to the women of the tribes for torture. Many of those women would have lost husbands, fathers or sons and would be eager for revenge. But why limit yourself to toes and fingers? Why not castrate them?

Author of Winged Folk.

The GURPS Discord. Drop by and say hi!
Anders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2006, 05:26 AM   #18
zorg
Experimental Subject

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luther
I'm interested in the subject, what's the article? Is there more than one?
This may sound weird, but atm, I'm actually unable to find the darned thing again... I'll keep trying, though. Just so you know I'm at it :)

EDIT: Found it. Voila!
Old 02-15-2006, 08:04 AM   #19
Luther
Grim Reaper

Quote:
Originally Posted by zorg
Found it. Voila!
Grazie! (thanks in Italian)

Here are two essays I found valuable:
- Convention Games part I
- Convention Games part II

Also check out the Fill in the Gap column at RPG.net, it's a long read but it has some good ideas here and there. If you, folks, know about some other interesting article. please post a link!

Last edited by Luther; 02-15-2006 at 08:10 AM.
Old 02-15-2006, 08:09 AM   #20
zorg
Experimental Subject

There's some good advice there, thanks.

I haven't spoken Italian since school, but it's still sufficient for Grazie :)